Lewmar profish700 horizontal on a 2003 GW Gulfstream >> HELP !! Question ..

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi all : I have a 2003 GW Gulfstream and I want to install a windless ... I think the one I want is a >> Lewmar profish700 Horizontal > >> (oh >> the boat is asleep for the winter under shrink wrap so I can' send any pics )
Here is some info >> and Here is my question

• The boat has a pulpit
  • in 2003 there was an anchor hatch behind the pulpit
  • The windless requires a direct drop into the rope locker's deepest point to avoid tangles and other problems ..
  • Do I have to stiffen up and build up the underside of the anchor hatch and install the windless on top of the anchor hatch ? or >>
  • can I install the windless on the end of the pulpit and have the line drop down into the anchor locker ? .. I guess I am asking if anyone knows how far under the pulpit that anchor locker goes )
Any info would certainly be appreciated >> CANT WAIT FOR SPRING !! Here in New York on Long Island we are awaiting a snow storm LOL Thanks Joe
my email is Joequinto524@gmail.com

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
The windlass usually is mounted to the fixed side of the anchor locker. The locker is basically cut in half with one side fixed and the other hinged for access. You should have access for the direct drop into the bow area. This is connected to the bilge, so any water that comes in via the rode will go into the bilge. You should not have to stiffen it up, but you will have to cut a hole in it to allow the chain and line to fall into the anchor locker if you don't have one currently. I believe you will need to add a large washer for the mounting. The windlass is usually not on the pulpit, it is on the cover of the anchor hatch but it does line up with the center line of the pulpit.

Fish- on

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi all : I have a 2003 GW Gulfstream and I want to install a windless ... I think the one I want is a >> Lewmar profish700 Horizontal > >> (oh >> the boat is asleep for the winter under shrink wrap so I can' send any pics )
Here is some info >> and Here is my question

• The boat has a pulpit
  • in 2003 there was an anchor hatch behind the pulpit
  • The windless requires a direct drop into the rope locker's deepest point to avoid tangles and other problems ..
  • Do I have to stiffen up and build up the underside of the anchor hatch and install the windless on top of the anchor hatch ? or >>
  • can I install the windless on the end of the pulpit and have the line drop down into the anchor locker ? .. I guess I am asking if anyone knows how far under the pulpit that anchor locker goes )
Any info would certainly be appreciated >> CANT WAIT FOR SPRING !! Here in New York on Long Island we are awaiting a snow storm LOL Thanks Joe
my email is Joequinto524@gmail.com
I Have a 2000 Gulfstream and installed the profish 700. I installed it as far back on the pulpit to the anchor locker as I could. I has worked fine for me. I did also installed the remote and when I retrieve I watch with the locker hatch open.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I installed my Lewmar Profish 700FF and it works great with the 20' 1/4" high test chain and 8 plait rode highly recommended. It lays better than the nylon line. I added an aluminum plate for backing.

Attachments

• Bow Pulpit with new Anchor Roller and Interlux Perfection.jpg
    Bow Pulpit with new Anchor Roller and Interlux Perfection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My new Lewmar ProFish 7000 in installed on the lid (same as my old Horizon windlass). The direction of pull flat and forward locks the lid in in place. The hinges are strong enough. I wouldn't have done it this way but it has worked well for me for 12 years of heavy Florida use. Lewmar not tested yet.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just installed my Pro Fish on my 228 in the same location as Roberth. 8 plait and 1/4" chain with Mantus anchor. So far so good, no real issues.

20200907_142720.jpg20201017_142816.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Joe, I don't want to rain on your parade but just in case you have not already purchased the windlass, I wanted to warn you that the Lewmar products are not the same as they were when their products were made in California. They now make their products in China and the quality is not what it once was. This may not be of concern to you but I just didn't want you to be surprised because they really are shiny.:)

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
ANOTHER QUESTION >> Thanks for the info guys >>2003 Grady white gulf stream 23 ft >>> I like the idea of installing the Lewmar 700 horizontal windless on the end of the pulpit rather than putting in on the door to the anchor locker which I guess would have to be strengthened . >> My biggest question is >> does that rope locker extend under the end of the pulpit >>> so when the rope goes down thru the hole I will have to drill , will it lay properly in the locker
Thanks Joe
Joequinto524@gmail.com

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
8 plait will lay much flatter than the others out there. In our case where the drop is, it will slide back some and take care of itself.
Would it be better further aft? Sure. But unless you do the hatch install/mod, it is much easier to mount on the pulpit, even if you need to open the hatch while paying out or retrieving line and reach down and move the line, is easier. However, I never have to do that. It is nice to have the hatch so that if a knot or bunch up does happen, you can get to it quickly and easily or at least see what is going on below.
Best way to judge, look up into the anchor locker and see where the bolts come through mounting the pulpit and then you can get a reference to where the anchor line will drop from.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It appears on some boats the hatch isn't split in half (1/2 fixed and 1/2 open). If not, mounting to the pulpit looks like an option.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both of mine are one piece, Tournament hinged on the port side, Seafarer aft. Both will open with the windlass in place.
This was my access on my Glacier Bay catamaran.
1608774767382.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
8 plait will lay much flatter than the others out there. In our case where the drop is, it will slide back some and take care of itself.
Would it be better further aft? Sure. But unless you do the hatch install/mod, it is much easier to mount on the pulpit, even if you need to open the hatch while paying out or retrieving line and reach down and move the line, is easier. However, I never have to do that. It is nice to have the hatch so that if a knot or bunch up does happen, you can get to it quickly and easily or at least see what is going on below.
Best way to judge, look up into the anchor locker and see where the bolts come through mounting the pulpit and then you can get a reference to where the anchor line will drop from.
Thanks for the reply >> Mine is a GW 23' Gulfstream

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Distracted the other day I went for the trim tabs but hit the windlass switch instead. Lewmar Pro Fish 700. Going to try the hatch mount again which worked for years with Horizon 500 windlass. If that doesn't work its going on the bow pulpit but I really don't like the drop for the rode.

IMG_1334.jpeg

Lewmar confirmed there is no clutch - direct drive. The clutch is for the anchor freewill down.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SkunkBoat