Lewmar Windlass

lgusto

Reaction score
Two questions please.

First, my Canyon 306 came with a Lewmar V700 which is fine unless you're trying to anchor in a few hundred feet of water since it has no freefall option. Has anyone tried replacing their stock windlass with a Lewmar ProFish? Does it fit in the windlass compartment?

Second, my V700 windlass just started binding up because the rode gets caught between the top of the spitter and the gypsy. Any ideas? Is it a worn gypsy and how could you tell?

Thanks

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can convert your windlass to free fall! http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=855720

Not sure what you mean by the "spitter" (splitter?) Do you mean that plastic control arm on top? Maybe post a picture of it binding?

One thing that helped my windlass a lot (600 free fall - very similar) was lubricating the control arm and springs.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That link looks to be specifically for the Pro series, not the V700. However, I wasn't aware that such kits even existed! Maybe a call to Lewmar would be in order to see if there's a kit for the V700? I'm thinking "no" because it's an economy model (although I installed one of these on one of my boats and really like it). But that's just a guess. Lewmar can probably easily tell you if any deck modifications need to be made if you go to a different model, too. Or, maybe download and compare the cutout templates.

I'm not sure what you mean by spitter/splitter either. BUT, a worn gypsy usually results in the rope slipping, not jamming. Now, old rope that is stiff and dirty may not go through it's "path" well enough and could bunch up/jam on itself. In that case, clean it (should really be done once a year or every other... washed well, then soaked in fabric softener), or cut out the first couple feet and resplice or even flip the rope end for end and resplice.

jaydub

Reaction score
I have the same 306 Canyon 2013 boat and the same windlass. When I first got it, I struggled with the free fall thing. After many hours of trying it and talking with the Windlass guys, I learned that I can do the free fall with the anchor. You need to use the wrench. When I'm close to where I want to drop the anchor, I lower it a couple of feet electronically, then when it's time, I loosen the top of the pulley with the wrench and it goes into free fall. You need to be right at the bow to do this.

Not sure about the other problem you're having. I've had some problems when I'm bringing the anchor in and it stops. I found that if the line in the hatch below is not lying in there properly, it gets backed up a affects the retrieval. Now I know to watch for that and keep the door to that hatch open sometimes so I can move the line in the hatch.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I have the Pro Fish 700 model and love it!

However one VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is ALWAYS cleat off the rode when anchored, and use the boat engines to creep up on the rode when retrieving.
DO NOT allow the windlass to take the stress of the boats weight while at anchor and DO NOT retrieve the anchor without the boats help...it is a windlass NOT a winch.

I learned the hard way...had to rebuild mine to the tune of $200 bucks because I was too lazy one day to tie off...the stress broke the internal frame housing that holds the gears.

lgusto

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Lewmar support has been silent on the jamming issue. However, Yale Cordage who manufactures the 1/2" 8-strand brait says it's just too small for the Lewmar gypsy causing it to stick and not come cleanly off (even though Lewmar suggests 1/2" line). Working on a solution but it looks like larger brait is needed.

I have tried the "loosen the cap" method to freefall and that does work. Have to be very careful or else the cap will spin right off the gypsy when the line is going out fast, seeming like an easy way to lose the cap out the anchor opening.

In time I'll work up the courage to try and fit a new windlass designed to freefall. It appears some new holes will be needed.