life jacket netting

wmassey9

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My 2005 228 Seafarer has a net under the hardtop to hold li. life jackets. It has seen its better days. needs replacement or better idea

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A&J Canvas in Vanceboro NC is the original supplier for Grady-White. They made me a new one for my 2004 228.

20170917_114837.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Prob best bet for many. They are made from Phifertex material. Could sew in a zipper and use brass grommets to tie it in. Really not hard to make for anyone that knows a little about sewing.

Reactions: Timcan

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The netting on my 330 is fine, but I keep looking at the cord holding it up, as it is getting brittle. In theory, replacing the cord should not be a huge deal, but there must be some tricks to the trade?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don’t take it all down. Start at one end, remove a few grommets worth of cord, and replace as you go.
Or, zip tie it in enough strategic places, if you think that you can remember the cord pattern. Take pictures first.
Find a crochet needle that the cord will fit inside of, use it as a fid. Start with about 6 inches long, crimp the cord inside at the very end, and just cut off a quarter inch if you need to start over.

Reactions: kirk a

Fishtales

Reaction score
Not being harsh here... The thing is a flat piece of fabric. It has grommets, there are hooks on the frame it just lashes in. Get some para cord, take a picture and follow it. It's really quite simple. I take it down every year, clean the underside of the hard top, clean both sides of the fabric and lash it back in.

Reactions: kirk a

Fishtales

Reaction score
Who knows today, I didn't think of design redo and associated over complexity. Maybe the newer boats have some new fangled way that they are installed. Seems crazy as the mid 2000s was easy peasy and could be done by anyone.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Never done this task, and experience with other tasks has told me that there is always the hard way or ways, and generally the right, or easiest way. Thanks for confirming.