Life Raft Placement

southernstar

Reaction score
Presently have 08 Grady Express. Wanted to mount a life raft canister somewhere. Currently carry one in the cabin. Grady has indicated that the hardtop might crack if mounted there. Any help much appreciated.

southernstar

Reaction score
Actually it is very tight up there. I may be able to fit it between the hatches. thanks,

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We have a valise and just got it inspected in the Spring. They now vacum pack them so the inspection is good for 3 years. Said they couldn't due for if mounted in a case and would need to be inspected every year. I also like being able to take mine off the boat and also when fishing inshore.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also have the six man valise type. What i like is that i take it to the boat only when i go offshore, but the most important is that keeps thieves away from my boat.
FWIW, when i had the 306 Bimini and then the 330 express i was told by Grady NOT to mount it on the hard top.

southernstar

Reaction score
I agree the valise is a good setup. When heading out in the winter for tuna, I thought that it would be nice in a canister so that if we ever had a bad event , it would deploy automatically. Never know what is going to happen offshore and the thought of trying to get to the valise in certain situations might be difficult. I noticed in the recent anchorline a fellow Alex Barth had one mounted on the hardtop. I have heard they recommend not putting it there, but I guess you could modify the top some. I think for the present I will go with the valise till I come up with a better solution. I recently called around to repack my raft and the cost was so much , I think I will buy a new one. Appreciate the help.