life raft

neverenoughx2

Reaction score
I have a 1994 28' marlin and I am looking to buy an offshore life raft for the boat. There are so many options and price ranges. Does anyone have any advice on this, cost is a factor also. What is the mercedes of rafts? Are they just over priced or is there a quality raft at a good price? And what should I be looking for in a life raft? I want the hydro stat release I assume the best place to install is on the top of my hard top.

FYI I am also buying a acr 2842 epirb.

Thanks Guys

Tom.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
I'd do a search here and see what comes up. I recall a thread or two on this subject.
There are two basic models (offshort and coastal), you should determine what is best for your use case. GW does not recommend putting a raft on the hardtop as this isn't strong enough. They indicated a weld could break. The top itself isn't all that solid. It is a thin layer of glass over a balsa core.
I went with a manual six person coastal valise that I keep down below. Others have the hydro mounted them on the bow of their boat.
Check out BOE Marine, sometimes they have a sale on them.

Good luck.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We use a Coastal Commander, in a valise. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/srcc6.html

Concur with contacting Jim at BOE Marine.

Concur with NOT putting it on the hardtop. Weight is one thing, but if swamped your boat will likely capsize and the raft will probably not release from that underwater position.

Recommend either a valise, or a canister mounted on the foredeck, in front of the windshield.

Brian

1998sailfish

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
We use a Coastal Commander, in a valise. http://www.landfallnavigation.com/srcc6.html

Concur with contacting Jim at BOE Marine.

Concur with NOT putting it on the hardtop. Weight is one thing, but if swamped your boat will likely capsize and the raft will probably not release from that underwater position.

Recommend either a valise, or a canister mounted on the foredeck, in front of the windshield.

Brian

I bought mine (same one) from Landfall. great advice, great people

downtown

Reaction score
I have a Winslow offshore ultra light made by a great company.

It's light enough that it is manageable without killing yourself and it is a very highly rated raft.

It was three years old but never on a boat. I had it recertified by Winslow. They paid for pick up charge.

It saved me 1,000 bucks. I wound up paying about $2000 for it but this is a top of the line raft. Rafts last about fifteen years at the most. Landfall and LRSE are good companies and won't steer you wrong. I know LRSE does also have used rafts. Brian is very knowledgeable there.

Learn the difference between a coastal and offshore raft.

I would stay away from Viking.

tilewave

Reaction score
i have a 265 express ( similar size boat) i like the valise. can come on & off as necessary. i have a 4 man switlik. i did some research and this seems to be a good quality raft/company by all accounts. my raft came with a testament of a couple that spent almost a month in my exact same raft in the space pacific. that sold me. although the 4 man seems kind of small , my offshore crew is usually 3 men....good luck

eppem

Reaction score
Where do you do your boating and how far offshore is part of the equation. How much do you want to spend? YOu could spend 1600 bucks on the coastal commander in a valise bag but its 100 pounds. We have the same raft and although heavy and bulky its was in our price range and works for the kind of fishing (offshore montauk and the canyons) and how frequently we go (not enough but as rec with a fulltime job and kids you get the point)....we can also take it with us and share it if needed due to the valise.

I had it repacked and they opened it while I wait...even a 6 man raft is small..you get to know your friends really quick.

Mike

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our valise Revere Coastal Commander 6-man weighs 76#. I couldn't handle it myself if it was 100#.

We also got to see it inflated, and all the stored equipment, during the last repack.

downtown

Reaction score
On the LRSE web site they have all the weights for the various rafts. The ultralight offshore six man raft weighs 36 pounds.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am boatless at the present time and I have a six man raft in a valise (as well as a paratech sea anchor). It needs to be serviced but you can send me a pm if you want to get more info. I was just saying this afternoon that I need to find that raft a good home err vessel.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Don't forget to forget to factor in the cost of repacks... most are 3 years, but costs can vary among manufacturers...