Lifting eye cleat attachment at bow

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The company that removed my surface hardware went out of business after the owner died, I've been slowly piecing it back together but had a question about this particular part. There are 3 nuts and 2 flat washers on this threaded rod. As installed is there a nut and washer at the top underside of hull, nut and washer on top of the bracket, then lock nut and washer underneath the bracket? I think there should also be 2 lock washers for the plain nuts and a flat washer for the lock nut. It's a 96 Gulfstream with bow pulpit. Thanks for the help

20230824_135857.jpg20230822_200235.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
I think you have all the parts. On a different boat I have, the lifting eye is passed through the deck and screwed onto the lifting rod. There is no nut under the deck.
On the other end, the order of parts would be ( from the rod down) nut, lock washer, flat washer, bracket hole, flat washer and finally the nylock nut. The final tightening when everything is adjusted is made using the nut on the top of the bow bracket. You probably will have to hold the nylock nut from turning when the upper nut is tightened. When the rod is secure, the lifting ring should them be snugged to the deck. You may want to use some 4200 to bed the lifting ring
The lifting force does not get transferred to the deck or pulpit mold, all the force is transferred to the bow bracket. When the rod is adjusted, the lifting ring will be tight to the deck but not overtight

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yea I'm definitely going to be applying sealant underneath the flange of the cleat. The way you describe the load bearing is pretty much what I was considering. There are 2 regular nuts on the rod along with the nylock that's why I'm thinking one is up at the top underneath the deck, unless there are two underneath the bracket which doesn't make sense to me. Also there's a bit of discoloration in that upper area of the rod.

seasick

Reaction score
It won't hurt to put a nut and washer on the underside of the deck as long as you tighten it last after everything else is snugged up. You don't want any lifting force to be taken up by the deck. You want all the tension directed to the bow bracket.

Reactions: Denko