light above helm

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The red and white light above my helm which also controls the deck lights has been acting up and I'm interested in replacing it .

Is the identical unit available from a marine internet outlet? thanks

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've already searched this forum but I seem to recall seeing suggestions at another time. thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure if it is an identical size match, but I'm adding is systems tricolor lights under my helm as one of my winter projects. I plan to place 2 just forward of my hardtop mesh bag and then run the wires under the bag and through the hardtop supports, they run about $110 a light and draw little amperage and are blue, red and white depending on each time you slip it on. Will add a lot more light to the boat at night, I always feel the helm is too dark at night when I want to clean it after a trip, I can barely see well enough with the small overhead dome light. Also, I'd rather have the light behind me then infront of me when I'm running, less glare in my eyes if I have the red light on. The blue will also look great with my blue led rope lighting under the gunnels at night when we are rafted up with friends or sitting at the dock having a drink and relaxing after a day of fishing.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Tom ; I was referring to the standard red /white/ flood light switch has gone a bit intermitent on me. I'm thinking it probably just needs to be replaced. Alternatively i could do as you have with a separate switch for your flood lights.

I agree with the statement that the current light is too far forward. I can't have mine on at all when I'm running . Older eyes need all the help they can get with night vision.

I had a remote spot on top of the hardtop on my previous boat but it was to narrow a beam. I guess there must be big wide beamed spots for smaller boats or else FLIR.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check the wiring on in the swicth, if it is intermitant it could either be a loose wire or the actual switch might have a loose connection or not be getting good contact when switched on. I'm surprised Grady has not told you where you can get a replacement if necessary, hopefully it is just a loose wire somewhere. I think Perko or Atwood made the actual light so maybe that is who you have to go through, not sure.

I find big spots actually hinder sight then add to it, I've seen and missed more wood with no light then with a spot on our older boats, we did not install one on the new boat, if I run at night I run at the slowest speed I can get on plane with and tab up, that way the bow pushes it away at most you get a small scrape, not enough speed to do damage unless your hitting another boat or a big bouy that is unlit, or a big rock pile. Only time I ever really used my spot was for coming into my marina just to find the poles marking the channel and the rockpile at the enterance, but we have lights on it now so no need for it, honestly I'd save your money and wait for flir to come down in price, once it gets to about $3500 I'm adding one, $5000 is too expensive for the times I'd use it.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thankyou guys that's the one. Unfortunately GW customer service lead me on a wild goose chase.
I will pull the existing one apart before purchasing a replacement. The quality appears to be good so as Gradyfish says it may just be loose connection.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
After you remove the light, check out the switches. Replaced both the spreader and red/white light switches last year. Cost about $5 or $6 total. Search "dome light switch" in the forum. I think I got the info from Hookup1. Easy replacement.

generalee

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I experienced switch problems in this dome light on my 05 232 Gulfstream. After removing the switch I found it to be a Judco switch. I ordered the replacement switch from Judco. I believe the shipping cost more than the switch. Google Judco and you will get right to their web site. My replacement switch was: J-188A-5, Judco inventory no 40-3657-00, Type SPDT (On A, off, On B). Hope this is of value to you.