Lighting of Electronic switch panel

quantase

Reaction score
I have a 2022 GW 235. Does the entire switch panel suppose to light up so you can see what the switches are at night? My board only lights up the one button you activate. I would like to see what the button are at night without having to turn in the hardtop cockpit lights on. That is, after I find that button in the dark to turn it on. If they all do not illuminate without having to turn on the button, any thoughts on having them illuminated? Thanks.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
typically they are illuminated when nav/anchor is illuminated. turn that switch on an see what happens

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yes usually the Nav/anchor switch is used to power the rest of the illuminated switches since you always use that when its dark.
I would expect thats how Grady wired it.

There could be a separate switch with a dimmer.

You might not have illuminated switches, only indicator switches.

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes, went out and pressed the nav/ancrocker switch and the other switches illuminated the symbols on each switch except for the bilge switch. I did notice another switch light was flickering. Are there individual bulbs on the back of the GW factory installed switches that I need to replace; do I need to replace the switch; or is there a led strip? The bilge switch works when I press it on briefly, but it does not illuminate regardless of being on or off. Photo attached. I have not noticed a led strip when I have viewed the back of the panel unless I missed it.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.jpeg
    IMG_4216.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 15

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
They have usually a small bulb behind, directly under the illuminated sign.

Rocker switches usually have spade connectors and they notoriously fail on boats;
either they disconnect by them self or the corrode and make bad contact, your flickering one most likely.
As your boat is almost brand new I would ask the dealer to fix that, if that is too complicated than just unscrew the whole panel and check behind the spade connectors for corrosion and tight fit.

Chris

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I will look into it. Do you know if the bulbs are easy to replace? I assume it is a bulb in the rocker that I need to disassemble and find out the bulb number to replace. That is if they are replaceable without having to buy a new rocker switch.

Coastboater

Reaction score
i think the switch lights are LED and maybe serviceable, but I’ve just bought new switch bodies. There are a variety of bodies depending on function so have a look as to the type before ordering. When replacing, I take a phone pic of how the switch is wired prior to pulling any wires off.
As someone mentioned, the connections are spade and you may find checking all connections clears up the problem.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
The older one Contura Carling switches had some kind of tiny xmas tree string bulbs inside,
today they are probably LED's and they may be complicated to replace.

You will need to pull the whole panel and then pull one of the switches, as above, take a photo before.
To pull the switch there are usually 4 flaps on the side, pull them inside and the switch slide out of the panel.
Once you have the switch out then you can pull the cover on one of the long sides outward and the cover disconnect from the switch housing, then you can see the bulb, what type it is and if replaceable.
In case just buy a new switch without the cover and click on the old cover with the right symbol,
the manufacturer of the switch should be printed on the switch housing, if not just ask GW.

Chris

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Check the orange wire that jumps from switch the switch.
The illumination wire is probably blue and jumps from pin 8 on all switches

In any case the illumination +12 is on pin 8 and the indicator/illumination ground is pin 7. If the pump runs but neither the illumination nor indicator light, then look at pin 7.

Illumination is the "backlight" of the symbol. Indicator is the light that indicates the switch is on. Both use the same pin 7 ground.

The LEDs are not replacable. They are part of the switch.

quantase

Reaction score
All of my wiring to the back of each daisy chained rocker switch is tight without corrosion. I would assume it’s not a ground issue, because if so, then none of the illuminations or indicator lights on the rockers would be working. Possibly bad 2 rockers, but I would think this is unusual since it’s a fairly new boat. I guess I will try to replace both rockers with new ones and hope that is the fix , unless anyone has another idea. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
If you connect a wire form 12volts to the terminal that the blue wire connects to, the backlighting should normally work. Note that it may be difficult in daylight to see if the switch is lit

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Which other switch "blinked"?

I would test the switches. Put a good ground on pin 7 and +12v on pin 8. If it doesn't light, it has a bad LED (or you didn't connect it right).
This below is most likely the switch you have.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 9.22.15 AM.png

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’d get new switch covers from new wire marine. Laser etched and the words light up instead of translating the hieroglyphics. You can do that whole panel for about a hundred bucks. You can also custom label switches. My Grady came with the fuel gauge select switch as “acc1.” I had one made that said fuel with Main/Aux on either side with fuel capacity so I’d never forget.

they also sell the little tool to get the switches off

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks for sending the diagram. I will plan to order a couple along with the tool.