lightning strike

choogenboom

Reaction score
Anyone out there had the pleasure of a lightning strike on their boat? My 330 Express got struck at the dock last week and most everything electrical is either wounded or dead. Anyone out there have success with grounding plates or other methods of lightning damage control?

Chris

jaydub

Reaction score
Ouch! Hope insurance takes care of it. I haven't found anything to help; I just keep my insurance number handy.

richie rich

Reaction score
the Dynaplates most manufacturers put on are usually minimal....you can increase your protection by installing a larger plate size...but they're not cheap!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd look into that a little more. The better you ground the boat, the more likely it will get struck and you better have a sizeable ground wire to handle the current.

richie rich

Reaction score
There is some debate on how to do this, but there are many cases where an ungrounded or improperly grounded boat had a hole blown through it as the charge needed "somewhere to go" and no way for it to be dissapated. Take a look at these web sites for more information.....its not an easy fix for sure and there are no guarantees your electronics won't get damaged next time either.
NASDonline.org
marinelightning.com
powerandmotoryacht.com

all have info on this subject.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Would lowering the antennas help prior to such storm conditions, or as a routine when not in use?

richie rich

Reaction score
That sounds like the right way to go. You figure most things that get hit by lightning, ie, trees, church steeples, light posts, high power TV ant are sticking straight up, hence the term "lightnin rod". Most boaters, myself included, dock the boat, clean the boat, zip up the boat and go home never thinking twice about the antennas. It does makes sense to do so...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If he's docked alone, he may need a higher tower fixed position next to his boat with a lead running into the water to catch it instead of his boat.

I know there are specialty firms who can evaluate and recommend, nothing guaranteed to work however.

ahill

Reaction score
There is an outstanding article on lightnimg in either May or June issue of Motorboating. It's a real eye opener on lightning path on water bourne objects.

ocdansar

Reaction score
I had a power surge or something two weeks ago melted one leg on my shore power cord burnt the black wire off on the boat side fried the battery charger messed up the t.v. and the generator won't run. replaced the power cord put new end on boat replaced the battery charger and I have a new flatscreen lcd t.v. this weekend going to try and figure out the generator.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wonder why generator was involved, was it off (disconnected) at the time?

Do you have selector transfer swicth between generator and shore power? If so, was it toasted?

ocdansar

Reaction score
I have no idea why generator would be involved, yes it was off and switched to shorepower. I have not been able to get it to stay running, it runs as long as you hold the start switch. hopefuly I can figure it out this weekend if not I guess I will call somebody.

bmikl

Reaction score
It is not uncommon for "offline" equipment to be affected because of a lightning strike. The amount of electromagnet interference (EMI) is staggering. Every inch of wire in the area acts like an antenna that receives the electrical pulse from the strike. In fact, it is not uncommon for the neighboring boats to have some effect. Unfortunately the complete damage may not be known for sometime. I have even seen layers of fiberglass delaminate from the "exit wounds" below the waterline. Go over you boat with a fine tooth comb because often the worst damage is hidden. In 30+ years of boating experience, I have not seen a viable solution for preventing or lessening the effect of a lightning strike.
Good luck,
Bill

striped bass

Reaction score
We have had phenomenal thunder and lightening storms here in Watch Hill over the last two days. An 80 foot yacht at the docks with all the possible equipment and protection you can imagine was absolutely fried by a lightening strike two days ago. Had to be towed out of the harbor by SeaTow and TowBoats. I don't know the final answer to your question but it seems that there is little you can do to protect your boat if it gets struck by lightening.

pdacosta

Reaction score
I have a 252 Sailfish that was hit by lightning thru the VHF radio antenna, it happened a couple of days ago.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA WHY IT WON'T START,,,,
ARE THERE SOME FUSE U???

jethro99

Reaction score
pdacosta said:
I have a 252 Sailfish that was hit by lightning thru the VHF radio antenna, it happened a couple of days ago.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA WHY IT WON'T START,,,,
ARE THERE SOME FUSE U???

You might have fried the ECU's. Hope not but if so, contact your insurance man.