LISTING

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
DOES ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THEIR BOAT NOT RUNNING LEVEL (228) WITH THE TABS FULLY RETRACTED? I HAVE TO LOWER 1 TAB TO LEVEL HER OUT CAUSING DRAG. I ASKED ANOTHER 228 OWNER AND HE KNEW JUST WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sure, it depends how it's loaded, live well full, both chairs filled , same for fishboxes, etc.

How does she sit in the marina?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I notice it when I am boating solo, no load, tabs up, trimmed out.
It's weird, with the torque of the prop, helm to stbd. and the fresh water tank on the stbd. centerline, I would think it would list to stbd, but it's the opposite.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
plymouthgrady said:
I notice it when I am boating solo, no load, tabs up, trimmed out.
It's weird, with the torque of the prop, helm to stbd. and the fresh water tank on the stbd. centerline, I would think it would list to stbd, but it's the opposite.

Doesnt matter how you've loaded the boat. Mine leans 75% of the time. I try and control it with the tt's.

dan313

Reaction score
My 228 lists to one side also. When at rest at the dock the port side is lower in the water, i contribute this to the oil tank and one battery next to each other.
When underway if the wind is blowing in the right direction the boat will list to one side. I just use the tabs and the boat straightens right up.

Lenny

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where are the batteries? Most 22' Grady's I've seen list a little at the dock, but on the water they should level a little bit and not be too noticable unless the wind and seas are off that same side. Using tabs is not out of the ordinary, and using them is not alwasy a negative effect in drag, some tab can benefit your fuel economy, but not always, depends how tabbed they are and sea condition among other things. Try moving gear around in the boat if you can, shift it to the other side and see if that helps a little.

flynnaire

Reaction score
05 228 is perfectly level in the slip and allways level at any speed,"unless there is even the slightest breeze," then she leans.

Bear in mind that there is very little that is stock on this one.

Main fuel tank moved all the way forward.
3 batt's located in new fishhold,(old fuel tank compartment.)
32 gal built in bait tank in place of old.

She rides like she was supposed to from the factory. Fast and agile!!!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That weight forward is changing the characteristics of that boat a ton, that tank was located there for a reason. I'd attribute the lean to that. Although she is level at the dock, just a slight amount of weight, aka a single person to one side will make that boat very tender underway with the weight forward. Sounds like your getting on plane, but not exactly acting like the hull should. I do not think anything can fix your problem except using a lot of tab after that mod. Moving a fuel tank or any other large components makes a HUGE difference in how a boat will handle, especially on a smaller boat like that. I do this stuff for a living, hull design, tank locations, picking engine, placing bulkheads and stringers and such on larger sportfish boats so I know the impact that moving something afew feet in a boat can have on overall performence. The only way to fix your problem would be to move the tank, otherwise just live with the tabs. Another option i to add some weight under the port side helm seat to counteract whats causing the list, but that will make things worse when you have multiple crew members. I'd recommend having your crew in the cockpit, not all huddled in the helm area when underway, you have too much weight forward and need some aft for that hull to run properly.

Not sure who moved the tank and made thr mods, but it doesn;t seem like they thought about how it will change the hull. Before ever moving tanks or any major compnents, seek a professional, or at the least call Grady and ask for their input, I'm sure they will frown upon it. they spend thousands of doallars inresearch and engineering to locate compnents in ideal locations for ride and stability. This move effected the stability a ton and some of it could have been predicted before the job was ever done. Grady has a 3-D hull, they have the tank, they can move it using software to where you wish and run it through certain naval architecture programs and see how it runs and what adverse effects it would cause, would have been well worth the money to pay abnd have it checked. Grady may have not done it themselves, but C.Raymond Hunt has those hull models as well and for a fee would have did the work, probably an hour to 2- hours worth of work if you knew the tank location.

flynnaire

Reaction score
You are correct about moving the fuel tank in the 228 and changing the ride of the boat. In fact I spent many hours and lots of computer time with GW factory and not only had there blessing they are very aware of the up side.
So by all means call the factory they will be more then happy to help 228 owners move there tanks properly.
In our last conversation, (Jan 07) they had plans to swap the main and aux tanks in production.
But it would mean re tooling to make the deck insert.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
flynnaire said:
You are correct about moving the fuel tank in the 228 and changing the ride of the boat. In fact I spent many hours and lots of computer time with GW factory and not only had there blessing they are very aware of the up side.
So by all means call the factory they will be more then happy to help 228 owners move there tanks properly.
In our last conversation, (Jan 07) they had plans to swap the main and aux tanks in production.
But it would mean re tooling to make the deck insert.

And why did we move the gas tank on a Grady?

GS

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
I should say that the listing doesnt bother me because it just gives me something to do at the helm and allows me to push more buttons. :p The trim tabs work like a clock and shut off automatically. Also, last weekend we were in a private cove gliding at approx. 30mph when I decided to look over the bow and watch the new seav2 hull in action. Man its trully amazing to watch those strakes and chines part the water. I've never seen it so vivid before until this purchase. Happy boating.

GS

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm surprised Grady worked with you, I know builders that build larger boats do all the time but it is VERY good to hear they helped you with that. That is another reason Grady is above many others in quality when it comes to boats in this range. With the weight forward she probably rides better through a chop and cuts rather then pounds, but that will mean more list underway when seas kick up, especially in a beam to sea, just need to learn to sue tabs, I have to on my boat and honestly it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it after a while you just do it.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Dan, a pictures worth a thousand words.
That's how my bow rides when I'm cruising solo. I have to lower the tab to have her run level knowing I'm burnig more gas.
Is this a 228G thing? Could it be the engine torque (notice the engine is level but the ride is uneven) on the bracket? The deadrise of the hull does not continue along the bracket, it is flat.
Also, no real weight modification changes. dual batts, one to port, one to stbd, but the fresh water washdown tank, stbd centerline should more than compensate for oil res. I'm becoming more convinced it's an engine thing and less of a weight distribution thing.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My 258 also lists slightly to port when accelerating up onto plane. I'm told that it is the torque of the F250. My dealer was going to have me try out some different props, but then they just moved the batteries to starboard (they both are mounted to port from the factory) and that all but eliminated the list. Boat is level in the water when at rest and while up on plane. It is just while getting up on plane that I noticed it.

Rob

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
flynnaire said:
05 228 is perfectly level in the slip and allways level at any speed,"unless there is even the slightest breeze," then she leans.

Bear in mind that there is very little that is stock on this one.

Main fuel tank moved all the way forward.
3 batt's located in new fishhold,(old fuel tank compartment.)
32 gal built in bait tank in place of old.

She rides like she was supposed to from the factory. Fast and agile!!!

Fly: Can you post some photos of your modifications?

Tx, Rob