Live well filling up when running. 1999 272 Sailfish

willyp

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Why is my live well filling up witH water when I‘m running?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seacock is open. Water is being forced through the pickup on the bottom of the hull. Close the seacock if you aren’t using the livewell.

Reactions: wbdenamur

seasick

Reaction score
That is actually a feature on some boats. The well can also fill through the drain depending on whether it is a low or a high one. I suppose it could be water forcing it's way through the livewell pump but I am not sure. To see if it is the drain that is letting water in, install the overflow tube or put a cork in the drain (if located at bottom of tank).
If it is coming in through the fill fitting and through the pump, first check to see if there is a valve on the fill fitting in the livewell. If there is and never was a valve, you will have to close the seacock. 'My other boat' has a fill fitting that doesn't look like a valve but is and can be turned to regulate the flow. On that boat the flow rate.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Mine has a valve on the fill pipe inside the tank but I don't use it . I shut the seacock if I don't want water in the tank . When traveling above 10 knots you don't need to have the pump on enough water comes in to keep the livies in good shape.

seasick

Reaction score
Mine has a valve on the fill pipe inside the tank but I don't use it . I shut the seacock if I don't want water in the tank . When traveling above 10 knots you don't need to have the pump on enough water comes in to keep the livies in good shape.
Yup, that's the feature I mentioned. Not on all livewells though

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ps. generally good practice to keep all your seacocks closed when not in use. Most boats sink at dock, and a common cause is a failed hose or hose clamp on an open seacock.