Live well motor

BobKat

Reaction score
My Gulfstream has a 700 GPH live well pump that has failed. I incorrectly ordered a 500 GPH replacement unit. My question is will this smaller pump be adequate?

keith1313

Reaction score
livewell motor

My pump failed recently and I had an 800 gph put in. I think more powerful is better. How about everybody else???? Is more better than less in this case. Seems to me bait will stay alive longer and be fresher with bigger pump.

seasick

Reaction score
This is an interesting question, so I did some research and found an article about bait well design.
It appears that one important factor is not the flow rate but the time that it takes to fill the bait well. It is recommended that the tank fills in somwhere between 5 to 7 minutes. A 500 GPH pump runs 8.3 galons per minute to the tank ( actually somewhat less since the rating is a best case and doesn't take into account tubes, fittings, screens, bends. etc.) So to fill you tank in 6 minutes, the tank would have to be approximately 50 gallons. Note that changes in water temp or water quality can affect fish more so than the fill/replenish rate. Bottom line: You will probably be fine, maybe better then before.

t bird

Reaction score
I’ve an ’02 30’ Marlin….
I’m on my third Rule Pump 500, 700, 500 for the livewell.
It seems to me these are not designed for this application.
Oh….this is three years of use, equaling changing it EVERY year!
The first two years I used the livewell as an ice bin for beer….the
pumps lasted a lot longer……..
Anyway this fall I’ll be putting in one of these two units:
1. Shurflo Pro Baitmaster Specifications
 Run dry capability
 Continuous duty
 Self priming
 SHURcote II seamless motor
 Splash proof
 Sealed Switch
 Ignition Protected
 35 gallon and under tank
 GPM: 4.0 GPM
 12VDC
 Max Amps 8.5
 45 PSI
 2 Year Warranty
2. JABSCO REVERSIBLE MINI WATER PUPPY PUMP
Includes an integral on/off/reversing switch to change direction of flow. Baitwell applications. 1.9 gallons per minute. Use in bait tank circulation applications. Ports are 3/8" NPT internal and GHT external. Impeller is 14500003. Measures 3-3/8" high, 4-3/4" wide, 8-5/8" long.
• Draw: 5 Amps
• Volts: 12
• Fuse: 7

I ADVISE AGAINST USING BILGE PUMPS FOR LIVEWELL APPS

Anyone tried these other pumps??

T

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my Rule 700 with a Shurflo Bait-Sentry 800, for a Kodiak 32 gallon. Works great but is a little noisy.

The Rule pumps have a rubber/neoprene seal for the pump shaft on the motor. Eventually these leak and water intrusion ruins the motor.

Shurflo uses a magnetic drive between the motor and the impellor = no corrosion and much longer lasting. But it makes more noise and I have trouble with mine getting primed when the boat is launched. If I can get up on plane for even a short bit then water pressure will prime the line. Otherwise I have to pull the inlet on the tank and blow out the line, turn the pump on and off a few times to get the impellor going.

Once it's working it's great and sardines, anchovies, and squid all do just fine all day long. Have not run it over night, but it would be an irritant on a sleep over I imagine.

The best info I've found on livewells and componenents is here:
www.livebaitlarry.com

LI Grady

Reaction score
Dumb question, but maybe one of you guys can help me out. I just bought a '90 Marlin and am gettign her all sorted out. The washdown pump doesn't run and the livewell pump runs but doesn't pump any water. Both pumps are indentical models. Shurflo (Pro Blasters I think) model # 2088-534-944, 3.5gpm 45psi. Irronically, both pumps have "not for livewell use" printed on them. Shurflo does not show a pump with these numbers on their webstite, although they do have one that have corresponding specs.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I ignore the warning about livewell use and just replace the pump with the same or similar pump?

2. Are these pumps rebuildable in the sense that if the motor runs, you can replace an impeller, etc.?

Thanks

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LI Grady said:
Here are my questions:

1. Should I ignore the warning about livewell use and just replace the pump with the same or similar pump?

2. Are these pumps rebuildable in the sense that if the motor runs, you can replace an impeller, etc.?

Thanks

Not dumb questions...
I don't know for sure, but I would think the recommendation not for baitwell use has to do with duty cycle - they are probably not designed for continuous running.

If it were me I would replace both, the problaster is a good one for a wash-down pump, and get a Bait-Sentry tank pump for the livewell.

Livebaitlarry has them both for a good price.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
CJ is right on this one. The Pro Baitmaster is designed for continuous use while the Pro Blaster is designed for short bursts. (the pro baitmaster is coincidently on sale @ West this month for $179-vs. reg. $229)

LI Grady

Reaction score
thanks again.

Another dumb questions (and this one is trust me). I've never had a boat with a livewell. I assume all I have to do is open the seacock and hit the switch for the pump, right?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LI Grady said:
thanks again.

Another dumb questions (and this one is trust me). I've never had a boat with a livewell. I assume all I have to do is open the seacock and hit the switch for the pump, right?

Yes. The built-in tank should have a standpipe for the drain, some are removable, some are fixed. When you look in the tank you should see the drain pipe sticking up, if not, you need to insert one into the drain so the water level is up where it's supposed to be.

The built-in tanks are notoriously lousy (flame suit on). The one in the marlin may be bigger and better laid out, but in the smaller boats they are very difficult to get the bait out of them, they are under a seat which is a hassle, they are the wrong shape - square not round or oblong, they are too shallow, and the cover seal doesn't do that great of a job keeping the water from sloshing out when you run the boat up on plane.

For serious live bait keeping a free-standing tank works waaaayyy better. Of course the downside is they take up space in the cockpit, and have to be plumbed somehow.

BTW, the shurflo 800 bait-sentry pump is like $85 at livebaitlarry's.

seasick

Reaction score
Don't forget that you have to put the drain plug in also. Otherwise, you won't fill the tank you will just recycle the ocean.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Seasick,
Good call-seems blatantly obvious but I was out last nite and didn't put the plug in...but i assume the pogies still tasted good to the stripers.
I felt like Jesus last night- there were so many pogies in the harbor you could have walked across the water on them.

BobKat

Reaction score
Live well pump

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will try the 500 GPH in my Gulfstream since I don't think the live well is more than 50 gallons.