Live Well on Fisherman 236

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Has anyone had any problems with Peanut Bunker clogging up the overflow on the live well? Minnows are fine in the live well but the Peanut Bunker are thin enough to fit through the grates in the overflow of the live well, clogs up the drain and the live well overflows into the transom. I was wondering if a piece of screen over the grates would help or if it would restrict the overflow? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
Mesh screen would be fine. An old raw water strainer mesh filter would be great. You could also try some window screen cloth.
Is the overflow you mention the plug in standpipe type? If so it will be easy to wrap some screening around the cap. If your overflow is a thru fitting on the side, covering it with screen will be more of a challenge.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Mesh screen would be fine. An old raw water strainer mesh filter would be great. You could also try some window screen cloth.
Is the overflow you mention the plug in standpipe type? If so it will be easy to wrap some screening around the cap. If your overflow is a thru fitting on the side, covering it with screen will be more of a challenge.
I took a photo of the overflow.

Attachments

• E7113155-04E7-4FF5-A64F-68B1B7D5FBCD.jpeg
    E7113155-04E7-4FF5-A64F-68B1B7D5FBCD.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 11
  • A49C410B-1B3A-439E-A1BB-359174734A7E.jpeg
    A49C410B-1B3A-439E-A1BB-359174734A7E.jpeg
    818 KB · Views: 11

seasick

Reaction score
It looks like it would be relatively easy to slip a sheet of screen behind the slotted plastic.That would stop small stuff from getting into the drain but the screen would clog up over time and might be a pain to clean. Another idea would be to use adhesive Velcro tape and a screen pressed on the outside of the louvered plastic. That would be a lot easier to clean

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
It looks like it would be relatively easy to slip a sheet of screen behind the slotted plastic.That would stop small stuff from getting into the drain but the screen would clog up over time and might be a pain to clean. Another idea would be to use adhesive Velcro tape and a screen pressed on the outside of the louvered plastic. That would be a lot easier to clean
It looks like it would be a chore to remove the grate. It is completely caulked in and I can’t tell if it is attached to the incoming flow part of the live well. The Velcro idea sounds good if I can get it to stick to the surface and stay on with the circulation of the water. Maybe use marine adhesive to attach the Velcro strips? I have a friend at my marina that has a Canyon 271 with the same issue so hopefully between the two of us we can come up with something. It is a real shame because the marina is TEAMING with Peanut Bunker right now. Thanks for your insight.

seasick

Reaction score
It looks like it would be a chore to remove the grate. It is completely caulked in and I can’t tell if it is attached to the incoming flow part of the live well. The Velcro idea sounds good if I can get it to stick to the surface and stay on with the circulation of the water. Maybe use marine adhesive to attach the Velcro strips? I have a friend at my marina that has a Canyon 271 with the same issue so hopefully between the two of us we can come up with something. It is a real shame because the marina is TEAMING with Peanut Bunker right now. Thanks for your insight.
I mentioned velcro with the hope that it would be somewhat easy to remove and also replace.
The slotted piece looks like HDPE and if so, marine adhesive wont stick well.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could install snaps and make a screen with a border of material that could take a snap. A canvas shop could make up something easily. This material would work
It is the same think Grady used for the bottom of the bolsters to allow drainage.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Remove the plastic grate and install a push in strainer into the fitting.