Live Well on my 22 seafarer

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok took the boat out first time and I couldn't get the bait tank to fill up. Has a rule 800 screwed into one of the factory live well pick ups. It's a aftermarket tank is there a way to prime the line. I'm thinking since the pump is a little high up and not sitting in the water that's my problem. Any suggestions or anyone familiar with what I'm saying. I know I'm posting alot of questions just never had a boat like this. Also like to see some ideas for dome light since you can't get light anymore with spreader switch built in. Thinking running a separate switch for spreaders.

Attachments

• 20210608_173831.jpg
    20210608_173831.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 32

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those pumps usually do fine, just sitting on top of the sea cock. Don't know what kind of tank you are using, but if the intake is near the bottom, just dump a 5 gallon bucket of sea water in there, and it should back fill the lines, but I don't think that's the problem.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I have that exact pump and it does not have to be primed
1-there should be a lever stopcock on that pipe under the pump. Be sure it is in the OPEN position
2-When you run the pump do you feel it running. If not, the problem is electrical (check breaker, wiring)
3-If it is running then take off the pump head by squeezing the 2 white tabs and rotating the top. Does water come out a little from through the stopcock to the inside of the pump
4-You will have to check that the pump can get flow in from below the stopcock and that it will pump out the exit tubing
5-Perhaps disconnect the anti-reverse on the tubing between the bait-well and the pump.
Let me know...

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have that exact pump and it does not have to be primed
1-there should be a lever stopcock on that pipe under the pump. Be sure it is in the OPEN position
2-When you run the pump do you feel it running. If not, the problem is electrical (check breaker, wiring)
3-If it is running then take off the pump head by squeezing the 2 white tabs and rotating the top. Does water come out a little from through the stopcock to the inside of the pump
4-You will have to check that the pump can get flow in from below the stopcock and that it will pump out the exit tubing
5-Perhaps disconnect the anti-reverse on the tubing between the bait-well and the pump.
Let me know...
I'll check it out. I thought maybe I had to be moving at a certain speed to get it to go

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Looks like you have a 226, make sure your seacock is OPEN, I think you will find it is closed. The Rule pump is bellow water level and she will self prime .
When under way on the plane the tank will fill without having the pump on.
I run mine at home on the trailer with a hose on the pick up to rinse the saltwater .

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
All good advice above.....if cock is OPEN.....and pump is running and still no water the impeller may not be turning....sometimes the bushing binding the impeller to the shaft breaks down.

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All good advice above.....if cock is OPEN.....and pump is running and still no water the impeller may not be turning....sometimes the bushing binding the impeller to the shaft breaks down.
Pump is making noise I will check it out.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sea cock handle is parallel in the photo, which should be open, UNLESS someone has taken the nut off and rotated it 90*. Pump will work with the boat sitting still, no speed necessary.

Punch53

Reaction score
I have to prime mine the first time I use it. After that it works fine for the season.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Yes make sure the seacock is open.

As far as the spreader lights go, upgrade to the LED touch fixture with a spreader switch from Lumitec. You need to order the fixture from your Grady dealer and it's worth the price. The old push button light and switch does not compare.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
There may be an antireverse valve fitting installed in line on the hose from the pump to the baitwell. You can withdraw the valve to see if there is water flow out of the pump and perhaps the issue is the valve..