Live well operation/modification

buguy

Reaction score
So here is what I have for a live well in my 1990 230 Gulfstream. My pump pumps raw water in no problem, but it runs right back out. The drain is broken at the top so I have to replace it either way. But I'd like to put something there that would prevent my smaller bait from draining out (shrimp) and add an aerator. For now I'm just going to put a stopper in there and a bubbled. I would like a more permanent solution. What would be the best route for me? Ive seen the overflow tubes, and I'm not sure they are the right size for me, but that seems to be the simplest way. Does it hurt anything to have raw water running all the time, or do guys just cycle then every now and then?

tomyoung

Reaction score
Hi New boat owner, I don't see any prob. running your pump as long as you have the screw in drain tube in place. I don't know what size the top of the tube is But if you see another GW nearby.. Not mine maybe a neightbors boat You could try their drain tub and zip tie a mesh net around the top to keep you bait from swimming away! Also when the pump is running the water will be aerated sp. Tom

buguy

Reaction score
Thanks tomyoung! My daughter made me buy a little battery operated bubbler at Dicks tonight (along with a bunch of little girl fishing clothes and tackle) to get us through the weekend. Great idea on the mesh over the drain! When we go fishing we may be out for 5-6 hours and that seems like a long time to have a raw water pump running.....but maybe it isn't?! I did see the push in overflow tube that would work in it.
I also want to get a gas shock to hold the hatch open. It really sucks trying to hold it open with your head while you dig out a shrimp.

buguy

Reaction score
OK I found an overflow tube and it looks like its going to stay down in there even though the drain is broken. I will try it out tomorrow. Put new raw water hoses on today too. Its getting there.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I wouldn't worry about running a livewell pump for 5-6 hours at a stretch. I would not run a wash down pump like that, but a true live well pump should have no problem. I use mine like that and it is 11 years old with no issues.

I'd be more concerned about battery strength. Again, make sure it is a true livewell pump with a low amp draw. Still, I run the engine about half the time I'm fishing to keep the battery good. And I keep the battery I ran out with, which should be fully charged, in reserve, just in case.

And, because I use my livewell a lot, I upgraded to AGM batteries and love them.

Rob

Mwills98

Reaction score
I use a timer with the live well pump, have it cycle off and on anywhere from 2secs to 7 mins. Cheap and easy to install. Also might want to look at a stainless steel spring shock for the lid, work great. Good luck.

buguy

Reaction score
OK I tried out the live well this weekend. Shrimp stayed much more fresh and lively! My live well and washdaown are the same pump, but you have to turn the lever to direct the flow. Not sure if that's been modified since new or not. I also see that when I lever it to wash down, it leaks pretty good. Going to pull it apart and see if it needs an o-ring or something. I just cycled the live well pump on and off manually, I didn't know they made timers for them. I will have to look into that. Also I thought about a spring shock because the one on my electronics box has one that works well. Just not sure how closing it one handed will work. A gas shock may work better for one hand operation. Never had a fishing boat, this is all new to me.

gw204

Reaction score
If the broken drain you are referring to is the one in the bottom of the well, stop using the livewell immediately. Any water that gets down there will just sit on top of the foam and gradually work it way down into the deepest parts of your hull where it can never escape and will just rot your boat from the inside out.

buguy

Reaction score
You nailed it. I noticed water in the front bilge that I didn't see before. Also found out the automatic bilge doesn't work. Works on manual, but that's easy enough. I filled the live well tonight and I can see some of the water coming out inside the boat under the well. Looks like that drain will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get out because there isn't much room through the port. Not looking forward to this fix!