Live well turns off

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I own the boat two months. First with a live well. What a pleasure. we lost 100 pilchards last week. I thought it was a guest that hit the switch. Almost happened again yesterday. But I am now constantly checking the switch. And it is “turned” itself off. Or “tripping” itself. I turn it back on. Last 20,30, 60 mins. Then happened again. But on the way back to shore. Which was rough and took at least an hour it never turned off. Anyone have this issue? Suggestions to investigate?

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Is the boat new? If not I would start with checking the electrical connections to the pump. Usually the pump only comes with about 2 feet of wire and you have to connect to wires coming from switch. Prone to corrosion being in damp conditions, may have to cut back and re-terminate. You can try to recreate problem at the dock, turn the pump on and reach in where the pump and wiring are located and wiggle the wires see if it shuts off.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Either bad pump or wiring - I run mine at times for 18 hours and it has never shut off. Probably going to be a process of elimination - Good luck

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ll look at the wiring and pump today. A different thread with similar issue said it could be the impeller???

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Post a pic of the switch? If it's the conventional OEM switches, they should not trip to the off position if overloaded -- instead the inline circuit breaker (usually above the switch) should pop and to reset you have to push the button down under the rubber protector.

If the switch is actually changing position, it may be worn and flipping back on its own? Does it click into place solidly?

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That’s what I thought.

Attachments

• D69669BD-A4DB-45BE-9D3B-43D484F0F068.jpeg
    D69669BD-A4DB-45BE-9D3B-43D484F0F068.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 17

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Are you saying the switch shuts off (moves position) or does the pump stop running even when the switch is on?

Its not a circuit breaker switch. Don't see how it could physically turn off.

It is possible the PO put an electronic timer on the live well. It will look like a little black box with some wires coming out. It would probably be behind the switch

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The switch (toggles) goes to off. Makes no sense. I’m going out tomorrow. I’m going to duck tape it in the on position. That should make it only turn off if the breaker trips. Will update late tomorrow.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I duck taped it on the last two times out. No issues. Must be mine and others fat asses hitting it when we sit on the live we’ll waiting for a hit.