LIVEWELL BAIT PUMP

Bumpye

Reaction score
Looking to replace the original livewell pump on my 2003 Gulfstream. Any suggestions as to model or type (centrifugal, diaphragm). Hoping to mount it in the same position on the transom. From what I've read, a centrifugal pump needs to be mounted below the water line which my current one is not. Thank you in advance for any advice.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My 2004 228 uses a Shurflo piranha cartridge style pump and, although I have had to replace the cartridge several times in the last 10 years, I have been happy with it. It always makes a ton of noise well in advance of dying. ツ

HBSteve

Reaction score
Jabsco Cyclone. Stainless, quiet, moves alot of water and its bulletproof.

white diamond

Reaction score
The Jabsco Cyclone is not self priming. Do you mount it below the water line?

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23664

Just installed this pump this spring, pictures at the thread above. While it's not self priming, it's very durable, and just a little bit of forward way is required with the seacock open to force prime the pump. If you've ever run with the seacock open on the stock OEM bait tank pump you'll notice that the high speed pickup strainers do scoop up a lot of water all on their own.

One primary concern around installation of this pump is that the existing wiring to the live well pump will likely be insufficient, meaning you're buying a new breaker and running new wire.

Bob.