Livewell Drain Plug Replacement

wrxhoon

Reaction score
They all (GW's) come with 4 stroke now , have been for many years now. I prefer Mercs to any other engines , you can't buy Optis now they will not comply with emissions. The engine on the new boat is 250 Yamaha 4 st with 228 hours on it so I will keep it for a few years . If I re-power I would install a 300 Merc V8 , ( my boat is rated for 300, old one is 250) fantastic engines but not cheap at a bit over $30K.
I prefer wishbone outriggers because I like carbon poles and they are not retractable like the Tacos I have now. I know a guy that has wishbones on his 228 and they work well as long as you don't want to go to the front when they are down.
Old boat will be sold as soon as the new one is fitted out .
We are heading out this week as well Wednesday or Thursday. We try for dollies and then out to browns bottom drop then troll .
I'll look out for you in future

Attachments

• Grady outriggers.jpg
    Grady outriggers.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: muznuts

muznuts

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
They all (GW's) come with 4 stroke now , have been for many years now. I prefer Mercs to any other engines , you can't buy Optis now they will not comply with emissions. The engine on the new boat is 250 Yamaha 4 st with 228 hours on it so I will keep it for a few years . If I re-power I would install a 300 Merc V8 , ( my boat is rated for 300, old one is 250) fantastic engines but not cheap at a bit over $30K.
I prefer wishbone outriggers because I like carbon poles and they are not retractable like the Tacos I have now. I know a guy that has wishbones on his 228 and they work well as long as you don't want to go to the front when they are down.
Old boat will be sold as soon as the new one is fitted out .
We are heading out this week as well Wednesday or Thursday. We try for dollies and then out to browns bottom drop then troll .
I'll look out for you in future

Yep I’m a merc fan too, I’ll eventually re-power mine if I don’t upgrade before
Got a few reports from the broken bay tournament, not many fish caught, I’ll probably head north and maybe stay inside the shelf this week
I’ll keep an ear and eye out for you too, would be nice to see you out there one day

Ozz043

Reaction score
I don’t have a plug for my Marlin, it has a drain in the bottom left of the tank, I just sit a sinker in it...yes it slowly dribbles through but it takes a while...

A cheap alternative

Reactions: muznuts

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did you ever get this part? I thought I had two of them, unfortunately I have two of the vertical tubes that screw into the livewell not the plugs.
If you didn't get one, I'm happy to get one and mail it to you. Let me know.

tx,
dr

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Did you ever get this part? I thought I had two of them, unfortunately I have two of the vertical tubes that screw into the livewell not the plugs.
If you didn't get one, I'm happy to get one and mail it to you. Let me know.

tx,
dr
Do you still have an extra drain tube - looking for one for my 208. If still have can you provide measurements/picture, would be glad to buy and pay shipping if fits

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Since my livewell does not work, I was thinking of using it this season to put fish on ice. I measured the interior of the drain and it was 1.5in ,but the pvc drain plug I bought did not fit. Where can I find one? Is it really 1.5?

Also, I don’t get how the livewell drains either. From what I see, the aerator goes in the middle and the drain is about an inch off From the bottom. My 2000 228 livewell is different than KY’s in this thread. I always seem to have a little water in the center tube which is why I think that’s where it comes in from the seacock.

Will I be making a mistake by using it as a fish box if the drain is mot on the bottom?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Also, I don’t get how the livewell drains either. From what I see, the aerator goes in the middle and the drain is about an inch off From the bottom. My 2000 228 livewell is different than KY’s in this thread. I always seem to have a little water in the center tube which is why I think that’s where it comes in from the seacock.

Will I be making a mistake by using it as a fish box if the drain is mot on the bottom?

that doesn't sound right. Drains are never an inch up from the bottom. Usually inlet is on side near bottom or at the top, Overflow may be near top or its a tall pvc tube that plugs into bottom drain. Drain diameter is always bigger than inlet.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
that doesn't sound right. Drains are never an inch up from the bottom. Usually inlet is on side near bottom or at the top, Overflow may be near top or its a tall pvc tube that plugs into bottom drain. Drain diameter is always bigger than inlet.

Agreed; typing that made no sense but there is always water in that bottom tube. I’ll follow it tomorrow morning and see which is which. Maybe it’s partially clogged from the prior owner and that’s why it holds a little water.

if that’s actually the drain, then I could go without the plug to do what I want since it’s the perfect size for keeper fluke.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Agreed; typing that made no sense but there is always water in that bottom tube. I’ll follow it tomorrow morning and see which is which. Maybe it’s partially clogged from the prior owner and that’s why it holds a little water.

if that’s actually the drain, then I could go without the plug to do what I want since it’s the perfect size for keeper fluke.
As long as it drains overboard (not to the bilge) its great as a fish cooler...just hose it out