livewell fills

kevgle

Reaction score
265 express I have to keep the seacock for the livewell closed when undereway otherwise water will run up through the pick up and into livewell.Is this normal?how does water get past the pump.?Thanks

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The pickup scoop under the boat gets pressurized when at speed, forcing water up, through the seacock, into the livewell. You need to either close the seacock or close the flow adjuster valve inside the livewell. That is normal, what you are experiencing. The pump is a simple paddle-wheel/centrificul pump and will allow water to pass in either direction.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
265 express I have to keep the seacock for the livewell closed when undereway otherwise water will run up through the pick up and into livewell.Is this normal?how does water get past the pump.?Thanks
normal. It can make 50 lbs of ice disappear...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure if mine gets water in. Usually I have it stopped off and have bait in it. If I were using it as a cooler I guess it would have to be stopped off.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I too have left the dock with a livewell full of ice, planning to use it for a fish box to save room, only to open the lid for the first fish, and find it full of nothing but seawater.
My inlet is behind a starboard panel, which sends the water in a circular motion, so I can't just put a plug in it, have to close the sea cock.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yup. As stated a vacuum like draw when you are underway. GW usually supplies a black rubber stopper with a ring that can snap in the the bottom (pops in where the vertical water tube screws in to mitigate saltwater intake and allow you to use the baitwell as a cooler.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 1 1/2" black stopper, which replaces the stand pipe, is in the drain. The problem is not vacuum, at least not on the SF228, it is water under pressure from the pick up scoop on the bottom of the hull, if the seacock is open.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not sure if mine gets water in. Usually I have it stopped off and have bait in it. If I were using it as a cooler I guess it would have to be stopped off.
I too have left the dock with a livewell full of ice, planning to use it for a fish box to save room, only to open the lid for the first fish, and find it full of nothing but seawater.
My inlet is behind a starboard panel, which sends the water in a circular motion, so I can't just put a plug in it, have to close the sea cock.
Come to think of it mine fills from the side too and is not reachable. There is a drain in the bottom I plug for livewell use and a drain up top for overflow. No tube.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The 1 1/2" black stopper, which replaces the stand pipe, is in the drain. The problem is not vacuum, at least not on the SF228, it is water under pressure from the pick up scoop on the bottom of the hull, if the seacock is open.
You're right I had it backwards. The water comes in the input on the side of the well. If you put the stopper in, the thing fills up and may even spill over. My bad...

seasick

Reaction score
That is why a standpipe is preferable over a cork. The tank will not overfill ( in theory:)) Of course, one cold leave out the standpipe and a cork and the tank will drain by itself. Unless the fill fitting has a shutoff and the seacock is closed, the livewell may get wet. Even with those two items in play, the lid is probably not water tight and will allow some rainwater to get into the tank. In other words, a livewell may always be wet.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
hehehe In addition to losing ice....TWICE we had live peanut bunker on an offshore run, with the standpipe overflow....the pipe fell out and the bait tank was empty when we got there....TWICE!!!! Oh, we burned out a pump once too.

I keep it closed and we don't use livies. Or we use a cooler and bucket routine to keep a few snagged bunker while striper fishing... the Livewell is now an ice & beverage cooler.