Livewell/ Fish boxes re Rubber Seal

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It seems like everyone’s boat on this site but mine has a rubber runner/ seal/ gasket going around their livewell and fish boxes.

Any idea where I can get this? I checked out Home Depot and all I could find was the rubber foam tape that looked like it would absorb water.

What’s the purpose of the rubber? Is it to prevent the fiberglass on fiberglass contact? Prevent water from running in/ out? Or all of the above?

Fishtales

Reaction score
i'd either contact your local dealer or GW directly via the customer service web link. It is to seal the lid to provide as close to a water tight seal as possible. It does ensure the lid doesn't contact the base but the gas strut should help with banging as well. I'd say all of the above.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If GW can't help try www.McMaster.com

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I used the Taco 1/2" x 1/2" weather seal to do my fish box lid on my 330 Express. It was actually a little too high I think, and I probably would have been better with the 3/8" x 5/8" version. But it went on very easily and fit fine once the rubber mashed down a bit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If GW can't help try www.McMaster.com

That's where I got some for my boxes (never had a gas spring, for what it's worth). I wasn't sure how thick, so I placed Silly Putty on the box edge, then a piece of wax paper on top of the putty, then closed the lid and gently pushed down (NOT hard). That told me how big the gap was and I ordered foam that was about an 1/8" (give or take) thicker.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Strut and mounts can be found here...
The strut is stainless from Maxum Hardware on the web.
Both my live well and bait rigging station are the 10" 30lb gas spring EFC-10M, item number 625-3-30-A1A1.
The large aft fish box has a longer one. I believe the next size up on the chart 13".

Would be a nice little upgrade for anyone that doesn't have them. They hold the lid up and control the speed of the close to eliminate banging.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks all!

Going to check out WM tomorrow along with Home Depot to see if they have those. WM supposedly does but not sure in store

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Best option is to order the Taco D style rubber which helps seal off water from livewell spill over, etc.

I used that several years ago and it seals very well! I used the magnet option to hold the hatches open. Much better for me than the gas springs.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you get the gas strut, no need for anything greater than 30lbs for the 10" one. This is what GW uses as well. I think it is the same for the longer length one for the aft fish boxes but didn't replace this one so not sure.