Livewell keeps filling up $%!*

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Anybody having this issue?
Everytime I'm at the docks I sponge out the livewell, when I drive around for a minute it fills up with 5 inches or so of H20. Why is this happening each time out?

GS

Bama96

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. There is a high speed pick-up that forces water into the well. There is a valve you can switch that won't allow any water in or you could just plug it off from inside the well.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Ok so if I was to shut off the lw valve that will put a stop to it. I was gonna do that but havent got around to reading up on it. The plug they gave me doesnt fit the tank.. Thanks for the good advice!

oh and Roll Tide Roll!!

GS

mronzo

Reaction score
If you have your livewell running (seacock open and pump running) your livewell will fill up. If you shut the pump off and ride around with the seacock OPEN and pump shut OFF the well will still fill up with water! One time when I wasn't using it I put my lunch in it but had left the seacock OPEN. It didn't
spoil the beers!
Also I've read that some livewells will leak while underway with a splash or two coming out from under someone's seat!

Banana River View

Reaction score
The raw water pick up that feeds the live well is located on the bottom of your boat. As you run, water is forced past the live well pump into your live well. There is a shut off valve at this location. Turn it off and problem will be solved.

My buddy stored his gear in the live well on one trip and unfortunately it ruined his cell phone. I just keep the valve on mine closed unless I am going to use live bait.

It is also a good idea for you to become familiar with all the locations and valves where raw water is allowed to enter your boat ie, live well, raw water washdown, generator, a/c, etc. This is a saftey issue that will allow you to quickly look at these areas if your boat should develop a leak.

Good luck.. Don

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Please take a few minutes to find ALL the through hull fittings on your boat.

For those below the waterline, you should find a seacock on the through hull fitting, so you can secure it.

The BEST approach to these seacocks is to keep them closed unless they need to be open. This applies to the supply side and the overboard side if it has a seacock.

That means open the livewell supply only if you are going to use it. This keeps the livewell from flooding due to water forced in by the scoop when underway.

Leaving the seacock open and "plugging" the input to the livewell may keep the water out of the livewell, but it is not the best practice. It leaves you with an open seacock and in the event of hose or clamp failure, with a fast flow of water into the bilge.

Brian

SlimJim

Reaction score
It also talks about this in the manuel. It says that the Live well will fill up while underway if you leave the seacock open. I don't have this problem but I use my Live well all the time.