Livewell lid doesn't stay open

rpc

Reaction score
The lid on my 06 Sailfish doesn't stay open anymore. Anyone have an answer? Looks like it might be the shock absorber that might be bad?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've replaced the cylinders on my 04. They are available at GW dealers - easy fix

seasick

Reaction score
Legend said:
I've replaced the cylinders on my 04. They are available at GW dealers - easy fix

They are available online also. Pop off the old one and see if you can read the model number on it. The connections are usually ball and sockets. to remove lift the metal flat spring clip with a small screwdriver and the end will easily come off.

The important info is the length open, the length closed and the force in pounds. That gas strut is probably a 10 or 20 pound model.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
rpc said:
The lid on my 06 Sailfish doesn't stay open anymore. Anyone have an answer? Looks like it might be the shock absorber that might be bad?

Yup. That's only thing it can be. Pop off the gas spring and replace with new. 5-minute job.... if you take your time. You don't neccessarily need a "Grady" part for these, but if you're in a salt water area, I'd suggest getting a SS version. Attwood makes some nice ones. Should be length/pound specs on the spring - or check your manual. Of course, buying through Grady makes it a simple process.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Doc Stressor said:
These are the good ones:

https://www.go2marine.com/product/385596F/taylor-made-stainless-steel-gas-shock-spring.html

Taylor Made gas shocks held up better than the cheaper Attwoods in my boat. 20 lb should be enough. I went with 40 lb and they are pretty stiff.

Keep in mind that Attwood has like 3 or 4 different models. I wouldn't trust ANY manufacturer's cheaper models on a boat, though! I work part time in this industry and we've been using the SS Attwood for years and they've been doing very well. But, Taylor Made has good stuff, too... although sometimes they think their stuff is made of gold :) Replacement Taylor Made windshields (one piece of it, not the even the whole thing) are literally a few thousand dollars in many cases!!!!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. I used a cheap Attwood for my fishbox lid. It lasted a little over a year. The stock one from Grady went 4 years before the threads stripped out on the strut. That's how mine fail. Fish come back to life in the box and slap the lid open. So far the $$$ Taylor Made has hung in there for almost 4 years.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A lot of knockoffs out there that won't hold up over time. Get the correct one. I didn't and ended up replacing after a couple of years.

rpc

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. Your replies are a great help. I will get the info off the bad one and order a new one this week.

handinpalm

Reaction score
I just ordered a SS gas shock for my live well cover on 2005 228 Seafarer. It was manufactured by Ameritool Mfg Inc. and had a GW P/N on it. I contacted them and they referred me to Boat Owners Warehouse for retail outlet, 772-236-8670 (Stuart FL). They carry a lot of different types of boat parts. It is now on order and will be drop shipped from Ameritool. It was around $48, + $8 drop ship fee + shipping.

Ratical

Reaction score
Just an alternative,but i did away with the shocks and used the SS spring lid support. They were a bit cheaper and last longer. Just a thought to throw out there.......