Livewell Modification

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I own a '99 268 Islander with twin 200 yamahas. Any advice on how to convert an existing baitwell (with drain) into a livewell? I have rigged temporarily the salt water washdown with a hose directly into the baitwell with a 14" pipe into the drain for the overflow. This seems to work ok, but not real neat, and I lose a lot of water when underway. I am aware of aftermarket kits, but am wary of another thru-hull.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you don't want to penetrate the hull for your pickup, then a stainless scoop mounted on the transom and with a pipe up to a bilge pump, wherever, can be very effective. I had one like this in a previous cat and it worked very well.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since you already have the washdown pickup, why can't you just put a splitter in the hose to feed the livewell? The rest is elementry.

Not much you can do about losing water while underway except to keep it full when running.

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the input guys. I should have been more specific. I intend on using the raw water washdown, teeing off, maintaining one of the tees for the washdown and using the other for the livewell. My request for advice is how to run the water line invisabley, how to connect the line to the underside of the gunwhale, and to drill/secure to the top of the livewell. Elementary to some (maybe most?), but I am not as handy with plumbing as most. Also, I should have explained, the reason for losing water while underway was because I was unable to secure the lid because of the hose being duct taped to the livewell, sacrificing a seal (and some pride because of the jury rigging). Again, I thank you for your time.

richie rich

Reaction score
TunaG, wish we could see what you're describing....unless someone has the exact same model as yours, its kinda tough.....livewells and fishboxes are very different from model to model...have digital camera?

bc282

Reaction score
what's the diff between a bait well and a live well other than size?
are not both raw water fed?

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry for the incorrect terminology, there is a box with a drain in it just behind the port companion seat in the cockpit with a lid on it that I intend to bring raw water to with the intention of putting freshly caught bait in to keep them alive to hopefully catch tuna with.
Thanks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Check to see if there was an option for a livewell on your model. If so, look carefully for a molded in tube along the base of the gunwale that goes from the bilge to the area of the well. All I had to do with mine (older 22') was run a hose thru the tube and terminate with an inlet fitting in the well ... :wink:

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Curmudgen,
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you sir. Can't wait to take off the shrink wrap and investigate. Happy fishing!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
what's the diff between a bait well and a live well other than size? are not both raw water fed?

Don't know about late models, but some earlier Gradys had options for both wells. The livewell was plumbed for raw water, the baitwell had only an aerator installed. The wiring may be there for the aerator even if not installed, both boxes were drained regardless of option(s).

I use the baitwell for a cooler, and the live well for storage or fish. Mine is plumbed, but sucks as a live well (too shallow and too long).

There's a little more to water supply than inserting a splitter. 1) you get water in the well every time you use the washdown, and 2) most washdowns will operate poorly in that configuration. Could be done if some type of shutoff valve is installed in the livewell hose, but maybe a 'Y' valve would work better ... :wink:

tunagrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Exactly what I was thinking, install a "Y" with independant shut-offs @ the transom/cockpit where the raw water washdown is, maintain one for the washdown and run the other up in the gunhale and terminate in the livewell. Again, not ideal, but a heck of a lot better than the set-up I had before. Thanks again.