Livewell on Marlin Transom

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding more live bait capacity by using a live well on the port transom of my 2007 Marlin. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for ideas on the least intrusive plumbing solution.

I need to increase my love bait capacity for albacore fishing for my charter. Whether bringing them up for fly fishing or using them for bait, live bait is the key to plugging the boat.

Randy

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think I would look to have something that is removable designed so you don't lose access to the batteries and other things down there.
I guess you could drill for a thru hole fitting on the bottom and run the inlet and one out the hull above the water line as done with the factory one. As I recall there is sufficient room.

Another option if you don't want two more holes in the hull, would be to place a Y pipe on the existing thru hole and come up with a timing circuit that would run one pump say for a minute and then the other. You would need a check valve on each to ensure water is drawn through the bottom of the boat. You would need to do the same thing for the outlet side. More work, but no additional holes.

A third idea would be to develop a standalone one that would fit where the cockpit door is (between the hull and the rear fish box). It could be totally self contained and just run power to a connector that the box connects to. You would have to tap an existing line for the inlet or maybe just hand it over the side. Do the same for the outlet. It would be totally portable and when not needed could be stowed away.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I'm still looking for anyone that has increased their live bait capacity by adding a transom live bait tank on a Marlin. I do not intend to create any more holes in the bottom, so I'm looking for ideas, photos of water intakes that I can use with a pump that is all outside my dance floor. I'll use a downrigger plug to power a pump.

Anyone done this?

Off Oregon live anchovies are king in our albacore fishery.

FYI, I run a 6 pack in Garibaldi, OR so message me if you are out this way.

Randy

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White Marlin w/twin 250's

jigstrike

Reaction score
I installed a deck mounted bait tank on my Marlin. We fish lots of live bait, so I needed the capacity. It works great. I used the existing thru hull to plumb it

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I used to run a transom mount Todd 18 gal. livewell on my old Bayliner which had no deck space for it on board.
It slid into to brackets mounted on the transom. It was solidly mounted, so much so I have a photo of my daughter then seven years old sitting on it holding a 5 lb. fluke she caught. I mounted a rule 500 gph pump on the transom below the waterline to fill and recirculate the well when drifting.
When running or even on the trailer I used a twelve volt air pump. I mounted a through hull fitting for a drain in the bottom which I could plug when in use.
The system worked great and as I trailer my boats I'd often have an hour ride home. At home I'd unload the days catch having them flipping on my lawn. I had a decal with the boats name made up which was placed on the tank.
I also mounted a light in the transom behind the tank so it would light up the tank and the boats name at night.
It was funny on those drives home sometimes because at night I'd leave that light on and other drivers could see the fish swimming in the tank as we rolled along. That was probably a bad distraction but I got a lot of thumbs up and smiles as they passed. When that boat was destroyed by Sandy I saved the livewell. I may or may not hook it onto my Grady's transom.
I plumbed the tank so that it would fill from the bottom first bringing the water flow up to the overflow so that there would be no dead water. if you like I could take a few pics so that you'd have an idea to start with.
Keep in mind water weighs 8 lb.s to the gallon so if your boat already sits low at the stern (like mine does) another 140 lb.s is not going to help.
Mike.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Randy, set you a PM reply and email with details on my tank.
Mike.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I know you said transom and I have no help for that but when I was looking for my boat I saw a marlin that someone rigged a live bait tank in the center of the deck where you'd put a leaning post or fighting chair. Being a charter maybe you want the deck space but it looked nice and could hold a lot of bait. Plus convenient.
Good Luck
Nick

Meanwhile

Reaction score
NikM820 said:
I know you said transom and I have no help for that but when I was looking for my boat I saw a marlin that someone rigged a live bait tank in the center of the deck where you'd put a leaning post or fighting chair. Being a charter maybe you want the deck space but it looked nice and could hold a lot of bait. Plus convenient.
Good Luck
Nick

I have a tote in the center for tuna storage, with kill bags as well. The transom is the only option to increase livebait in my case. The albacore just take lots of ice and storage room.

Randy

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
Randy, set you a PM reply and email with details on my tank.
Mike.

I got them and will likely do as you with a bracket and pump. Thanks.

Randy
Lt. (ret.)