Livewell pump for a 272

reelserious

Reaction score
After 18 seasons, looks like it might be time to replace my livewell pump. The boat is a 2000 272 Sailfish. Does anyone know what pump is in there or what a good replacement pump would be? The concern is it needs to fit with the existing plumbing (Grady Rep. said it was 3/4 inch) and also the proper GPH. Based on the tank size (32 gal.) and height from the waterline, I am assuming 800 GPH would be good. Am trying to advance order rather than remove the old and then chase down a pump and also trying to avoid having to return if the pump I buy is the wrong one. Also, has anyone replaced theirs before, and if so, did the floor panel have to come out or is it possible to do it through the pie plate? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

reelserious

Reaction score
After reading what I could find via search, it seems some of the guys with Marlins have used the Shurflo 1100 versus the 800 GPH. Is the tank the same size as the Sailfish (either 30 or 32 gal.) or is it a larger tank? I ask because the 1100 is rated for 50 or 60 gal tanks. Also confusing is that the Grady Rep I talked with today said the plumbing was 3/4" on both in and out (not saying he was right). The 800 is 3/4" on both while the 1100 is 3/4" in and 1 1/8 out. Can anyone shed some light on this before I order the wrong pump. Also, not looking for a wall mount. Plan to stick with original mount on seacock.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
reelserious said:
After reading what I could find via search, it seems some of the guys with Marlins have used the Shurflo 1100 versus the 800 GPH. Is the tank the same size as the Sailfish (either 30 or 32 gal.) or is it a larger tank? I ask because the 1100 is rated for 50 or 60 gal tanks. Also confusing is that the Grady Rep I talked with today said the plumbing was 3/4" on both in and out (not saying he was right). The 800 is 3/4" on both while the 1100 is 3/4" in and 1 1/8 out. Can anyone shed some light on this before I order the wrong pump. Also, not looking for a wall mount. Plan to stick with original mount on seacock.

I have the Shurflo 1100 gpm (It's what came from factory)
My livewell is 32 gal (I'm pretty sure)
No problem with it being "Too much pump"
You can check pump specs online to verify I/O sizes
I wouldn't want to swap pumps through the Pie Hole (I bruise easier than I used to) :cry:

Good Luck. Should be one of the easier jobs you'll have.

reelserious

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. So I guess you are confirming that the plumbing from the pump to the livewell is 1 1/8" diameter? That is the diameter of the Shurflow 1100 on the output side. The 800 is only 3/4".

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would have thought the 272 is same setup as 252. If it is, I have the Shurflo Baitmaster and replaced it a few years ago. Link: http://shurflo.com/marine-products/live ... r-ii/149--
It was a direct replacement.

However, just this year, I have replaced it with a Shurflo 800 gph Piranha livewell pump, screws onto the seacock with 2 outlets. One feeds baitwell the other washdown hose. Link: http://shurflo.com/marine-products/live ... vewell-800

From my research on GPH to feed an approx. 30gallon livewell, should be 800 gph to reduce risk of too much or too little flow. ;

Reason is that the amperage on the Piranha is more than half less so easier on batteries and also will be very quiet whereas the Baitmasters are pretty noisy.

Pull the rear floor hatch and easy access if your floor was like mine.

reelserious

Reaction score
Thanks. I saw your post via search. I agree that 800 seems the best match re. flow, but it has a 3/4" diameter on the output side. From what I am hearing now, the plumbing to the tank is 1 1/8", which matches up with the 1100 (still trying to confirm if this is correct). Do you know which diameter you have on the output side (from pump to the tank)?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hose from the pump and to the tank it 3/4".

If you have 1-1/8" hose to the baitwell, that is huge! The only place I have seen hose that size is bilge pump out of boat.

reelserious

Reaction score
Thanks again. I am not sure what I have on output diameter. In searching old posts I see people are using the 1100 and saying it was a 1 for 1 fit with plumbing. That means they have 1 1/8". Others say they use 800 and it too was a 1 for 1 and it is 3/4". I agree 800 is the right flow and am going to go with the 3/4" "guess" on output and then cross my fingers.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
reelserious said:
So I guess you are confirming that the plumbing from the pump to the livewell is 1 1/8" diameter? That is the diameter of the Shurflow 1100 on the output side.

I just checked. Yes, the outlet is for 1 1/8" ID hose and that is what is plumbed to my livewell.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wow, that is huge for a livewell. Assume that is Inside Diameter right?

reelserious

Reaction score
Well, after calls to Grady, my local dealer and getting down to the boat and cleaning and inspecting my old pump, it turns out it is a Rule 500 GPH. That is what they are still using today...the Rule 401 FC, which is 500 GPH and 3/4" on both in and out. I did buy the Shurflow 800 GPH and think I will stick with it. The 500 just seems to be on the bottom end of what will work on a 32 gal. tank. Thanks for all the feedback. Oh, and Journeyman, is it possible that someone re-plumbed yours? It doesn't sound like Grady ever used more than 3/4", at least per them. Thanks again.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That makes more sense now. Per the specs on a 32 gallon livewell, the 800 fill rate is a perfect fit. Agree 500 is too low, especially on hot days.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
reelserious said:
Oh, and Journeyman, is it possible that someone re-plumbed yours? It doesn't sound like Grady ever used more than 3/4", at least per them. Thanks again.

Doesn't look it but you never know....... PO drooped a few bucks on mods that I've benefited from. Lucky me. :mrgreen:
Other Marlin owners of my era would have to weigh in.

ROBERTH said:
Wow, that is huge for a livewell. Assume that is Inside Diameter right?

Yes.
journeyman said:
the outlet is for 1 1/8" ID hose

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You can replace the pump head of the Rule 500 with an 800...p/n 46DR . They twist on/off but there is no plug so you have to make new wire connections.

reelserious

Reaction score
SkunkBoat said:
You can replace the pump head of the Rule 500 with an 800...p/n 46DR . They twist on/off but there is no plug so you have to make new wire connections.

The new style pumps Tournament series (401 FC) have the replaceable motors. Mine is the old style pump that do not. Thanks though, that would definitely be much simpler if I could. Also good for others to know that the 500 can be easily upgraded to 800, with just a cartridge change.