livewell timer

mous

Reaction score
hi there
I am the second owner of 2004 228. The livewell was not functioning so I removed the livewell areator timer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ2PFYC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3TS00HG6XW6EJ&psc=1) then removed the livewell to expose the pump. I thought that the normal option is to have a specific pump for the livewell ... however, I found that the livewell is connected to the washdown pump. I attach a picture .... can anyone help me figure out how this livewell circuit works !! too many wires for me :(
There is one through-hull intake that supply both the livewell and washdown.

Attachments

• 20200811_223405.jpg
    20200811_223405.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just installed a new wash down and livewell system on my older 228. You have a dual port pump, which is exactly what I put in.

First did you check the fuse for the livewell? The brown and black wires in your photo lead to your panel in the helm which is fused.

Your wash down pump has a separate set of wires to give it power.

You are correct in that Grady normally installs a separate seacock for the livewell and wash down, but hey you have on less hole in the bottom of your hull ;)

Attachments

• 20200531_121828.jpg
    20200531_121828.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

seasick

Reaction score
The dual port pump doesn't pump into both ports. It allows one connection to the seacock before the pump and one connection after the pump. When plumbed like that, the builtin pump is often feeding the livewell and the other port connect to a second pump for raw water washdown.

There is another option though to feed both livewell and washdown with a single port pump. After the pump, the hose is teed off with one hose going to the washdown fitting and the other going to the livewell. The ficture feeding the livewell may have a valve built in that allows the flow to be adjusted or shut off completely.
The washdown plumbing may also have a vale or it may just connect to a hose with a nozzle.