livewell too small

dbiscayne

Reaction score
I've got an Offshore 24 with full transom/factory bracket, anybody replace the transom livewell with something bigger or add another on the deck? I use the livewell under the helm seat for other things & it's too shallow for what I need anyway, the rear transom livewell is just too small.
Was hoping to see some pics of deck mounted livewells or maybe replacement of the transom livewell with something around 30 gallons.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I'm looking to do something like that as well. Your boat is similar to my 24 Explorer. I want to be able to have a few different types of bait and that lame excuse for a well is garbage. I don't like the idea of in deck. I took the well out last month to redo some plumbing and I believe you could make one that would sit lower. I need to look at it and run the math to see if the added volume is worth it. If you add volume it would sit lower and the end of the day drain might not work.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I've seen it done on larger boats. Key is finding a plastic drum of the right size.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
I'm looking to do something like that as well. Your boat is similar to my 24 Explorer. I want to be able to have a few different types of bait and that lame excuse for a well is garbage. I don't like the idea of in deck. I took the well out last month to redo some plumbing and I believe you could make one that would sit lower. I need to look at it and run the math to see if the added volume is worth it. If you add volume it would sit lower and the end of the day drain might not work.
I think your Explorer well is a little wider than mine, 24" long x 9" wide x 18" deep, 15 gal, I could go a little deeper but theres just not enough room for decent sized baits to turn around.
Will probably end up putting a round 25gal on the deck just in front of the transom well, can hopefully plumb it under the deck but the tank sits pretty high in that area.

Madhatter0

Reaction score
I just bought a used one around 40 gallons it was an on deck one with brackets that flush mount to the deck so when we want to go fishing we drop the live well on and cruising we take it off. Your going to have to put it towards the stern so you dont beat the hell out of it. As for the drain we just figured we would let it drain out on deck on the ride in and out the scuppers. Thats how we did it. Not a permant solution but we wanted something that was easy to install and uninstall

Reactions: dbiscayne

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's mine. It's a 52 gallon big salt. Works great for anything ,but especially live anchovies for albacore fishing.

Attachments

• 20180819_154551.jpg
    20180819_154551.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 56

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's a little better view

Attachments

• 20190509_154858.jpg
    20190509_154858.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: controlsct

dbiscayne

Reaction score
thats pretty much what I want to do.
was there enough space between the top of fuel tank & bottom of deck to run the fill hose? or did you leave the plumbing on top of the deck?

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is barely enough room but you can make it work. I had to add another 6 inch access hole under the tank and use 90 degree plumbing fittings to make it all work. I spent a considerable amount of time penciling it all out before the cutting started.

Reactions: dbiscayne

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bought mine from Defiance marine in Bremerton washington. They build them. I don't think they list them on their website anymore due to being so busy. It would be worth calling them though, they were less money than Bluewater when I bought mine.

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And yes n.w. Westport, washington

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You have a large cockpit on that boat. One option is what we did when fishing in FL. We a) install a high capacity bait pump and b) put a large plastic bait well on a non-skid mat. We would vent overflow out hawsepipe.

On my 268 Islander with the Euro transom we ratchet strap a 15 gallon oval tank to the swim ladder. Bait pump connection is thru old 2-stroke oil fill holes to a 1,000 GPH Rule bait pump. Tank empties off back.

Another option is to look at swim platform options. Either install partial or full. But you have to make some holes! And its a little too permeate for me.

I do like the cockpit mounted live well if permeate doesn't bother you. Filling the tank is easy. But you need to get the water out. Difficult to do under the deck.

Last edited:

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I also used to run a 35 gallon plastic barrel that I converted to a bait tank on the back of the euro transom. I will try and find a picture

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics that show the bait tank i installed on my 232. it's a 55gallon made by Bluewater bait systems out of Costa Mesa, CA.
A bait tank like this is pretty much a must for our albacore fishery here in the NW.20160716_174415_resized.jpg3.jpg

Jdurb

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I recognize that at tank! Any day now Steve!!

Cam Ena Sue

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Here's mine. It's a 52 gallon big salt. Works great for anything ,but especially live anchovies for albacore fishing.

Hows it going - was curious if you would mind sharing how you plumbed up the on deck bait tank. Looking to install a similar one on my rig.

Thanks,
Sam