Livewell washdown conversion

Tbeach

Reaction score
I have the freshwater shower option (seldom used) which I've converted to a freshwater washdown by simply inserting a T joint which allows the water to be used by either the shower head or a handspray. The problem is that the freshwater tank is only 10 gallons and requires constant refilling. I'd like to convert my livewell to a raw water washdown. I suspect the livewell pump is smaller and less powerful than the typical raw water washdown pump. Has anyone out there tried this. Any negatives I've overlooked ?

no problem

Reaction score
If your pump is adequate, all you need is a 3 way valve some hose and the washdown outlet. The million dollar question is what model pump do you have?

seasick

Reaction score
The live well pump is probably smaller ( GPM) than a wash down would be. Depending on the length of hoses, fittings etc, your wash down should be about 4 GPM or so to start. Take a look at the rating on the live well pump to see what you have. You could replace it with a bigger pump but keep in mind that the live well would not work at it's optimum level ( more frequent water changes per hour than desired but that's still better than too few water changes)

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm no expert. i prefer NOT to use the raw water washdown (saltwater for me). i only used it a couple times in my prior boat and have disconnected the hose in the current one. i just feel that you would wind up blasting saltwater in areas that really shouldn't be that exposed to it. i'm lucky that i carry enough fresh water, but if needed i would get a bucket of raw water and splash the deck (a whole lot less "pressure" than the washdown pump). jmo, ron

Tbeach

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I am certain if I go this route I will have to replace the pump as it is very small. Haven't determined specs yet (dark down there) but it looks as small as a bilge pump. Also I take the point about saltwater sloshing through the system. Maybe I should just use the freshwater washdown as a rule and a bucket saltchuck when necessary. In any event really appreciate the comments. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
If you get fish blood and guts on the deck, without a washdown, you would use a bucket over the side, fill it and pour. It's the same water.
The washdown has a longer hose and a more powerful spray. I use it all the time. I also use the fresh water, just not to rinse the deck. When I return everything gets washed with the dock hose. I am not concerned about the saltwater at all. All the fittings get salt spray anyway.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
I am not concerned about the saltwater at all. All the fittings get salt spray anyway.

agree, but high powered pumped water can get into places. i have a galvanic isolator under my gunwale and next to that the shore power breaker. the battery/fuel cutoff panel is not truly "watertight". the tackle storage area also not very watertight and that leads into cabin/bilge area. the vertical door under the drop down stern seat also not watertight. i have 12 holes in the fore and aft of the gunwales for the rod butts and tips (i know the shore power is behind one set - not sure where all the others lead to).

i'm not arguing. i just think continual blasting with the saltwater washdown is going to have a long term effect. but like i said, i'm no expert. ron

seasick

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
seasick said:
I am not concerned about the saltwater at all. All the fittings get salt spray anyway.

agree, but high powered pumped water can get into places. i have a galvanic isolator under my gunwale and next to that the shore power breaker. the battery/fuel cutoff panel is not truly "watertight". the tackle storage area also not very watertight and that leads into cabin/bilge area. the vertical door under the drop down stern seat also not watertight. i have 12 holes in the fore and aft of the gunwales for the rod butts and tips (i know the shore power is behind one set - not sure where all the others lead to).

i'm not arguing. i just think continual blasting with the saltwater washdown is going to have a long term effect. but like i said, i'm no expert. ron
I see your point. My 208, is relativelt 'dry' underneath. I rarely get anything in the bilge or near the pumps/batteries etc so I guess I am lucky in that respect. The only time I can get some water in the rear compartments is when I hose down the boat with a strong water spray ( as it is with dock water).
So I guess each case is different

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your boat if it's a Grady can take all the saltwater blasting you want - it is only used for cleaning the deck, gunnels, hands ir blood, and fish cutting activities on transom. No reason to be using it for anything else or anywhere else. If you want to wash out the bilge spaces, use the dock FW hose. For swimmers on Gradys, I bet they would prefer FW washdown.

You can add a 3 way valve and convert the existing pump whatever it is to washdown. I presume it has a pressure switch. Even if it's designed for LW it will still throw a decent spray. When going the other way it can be a problem since washdowns are not designed for continuous duty as a LW, unless it is so designated on package. As mine is.

Wilcox makes the valves found on older Gradys, I used a Lowes wide bore plastic garden 3 way valve and added the fittings for the 3/4 marine hose, at a fraction of the cost. Been on boat about 3 yrs now not a leak. The you switch valve to use LW. If you think you will get pressure at both LW and washdown, you will get zero flow to LW when hose nozzle is activated for washdown, and visa versa.

Alternately, you can add another pump and new 3/4 inch thru hull fitting and valve just for washdown, and new elec feed. A pump designated for washdown only can typically be found at higher pressure ratings.

Tbeach

Reaction score
Ok. Once again this info is fantastic. I really appreciate all the input. Looks like a good winter project. Thanks again.