Loaded and ready to go!

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
sometimes the tuna are feeding deep on stuff like squid, if so they wont come up for anything. you got to go to them.

Reactions: Pighunter

Humboldtfisher

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I like mixing some diving plugs in my albacore spread - Rap-X 15 or 20 or Yozuri Hydromags. Where are you based out of Pig Hunter? I'm up in Humboldt County.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I like mixing some diving plugs in my albacore spread - Rap-X 15 or 20 or Yozuri Hydromags. Where are you based out of Pig Hunter? I'm up in Humboldt County.
I like to have one thing below the spread.
I was going to say, put one diving plug straight off the transom or put that cedar plug thats in your bag 20 feet behind a 24 oz trolling weight
With the diving plug you have to get the speed right. might have to slow a little...6 mph. Gotta watch it. If it doesn't run right get rid of it.

Are you just using single lures or do you have birds and daisy chains and/or spreader bars?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are seeing fish on the screen but their deep, get out the butterfly jigs, go on the drift and drop down to them with the jigs. It'll make you wish you had been spending more time in the gym though.

Humboldtfisher

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Skunkboat:

For albacore I often fish one or two spreader bars - there's a guy locally that makes them - Redwood Coast Spreader Bars. Back to diving plugs, I find that the Hydromags stay in tune better and can be run a bit faster than the XRaps. My experience with the XRaps is they catch some fish, get wacked out of tune and then are really hard to get running straight again.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have been fishing for Albacore for years off Fort Bragg.

You did nothing wrong. The fish just weren't on the bite that day.

Don't even think about using DR's - the advice you got was good from your fishing club guys.
Troll your stuff (good BTW) at 7.5 knots set back from your 3rd to 5th wake. Use your Outriggers.

One day 4 weeks ago, we caught 81 in 8 hours.
If they're there, they will find you.
If they are not there, you can't catch them. Simple...

Reactions: Pighunter