Locating Electronics on a Chase 273 Help

pcww

Reaction score
I am taking delivery of a 2005 Chase next week , a dealer demo with only 12 hours but no electronics. I have ordered a package from BOE Marine and have some boat specific questions.
1. It appears that most owners mount the VHF overhead. Any pros and cons for this.
2. I am installing the new Garmin 4212, assuming a relatively soon delivery date( about mid or late May). I assume that the electronics box is adequate for this 12" display. Plan on mounting on the left side as main display.
3. I plan on installing an Airmar M260 Transducer. Where is the best place in t he Chase. And has anyone installed it on theirs?
Henry Kinney.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
This is the setup I have on my 273. I don't think a 12 inch display will fit on the lower console. I have the Airmar M260 thruhull mounted on the port side at the rear of the boat.
DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

pcww

Reaction score
Your post is causing me to go back to the drawing board. I am calling the dealer to measure the electronic box. How do you like the m260?

pro23spt

Reaction score
Hello pcww,

I have a 2006 chase 273 and I installed a 2206 GPS and 620 Furuno fish finder the electronic box, I sea- trailed a 2005 chase with a garmin 3210 and they had to trim the box down at the entry, it looked chopped up to me, if you put anything bigger than about a 8" in the electronics box you will have to modify the opening. I wanted a Navnet 10', but would not fit. So i had to go another route. I then installed my AM-FM, VHF in the upper electronic box off the T-Top and this works out pretty good. I'm going to install a small Navnet for backup and radar next to the radios up top. I have talked to Grady White about this with no word back. With a boat of this size, we should be able to mount 2 10" displays with no problem, but I have managed to compromise and make something work. I'm pretty happy with my setup after the fact.

pcww

Reaction score
After posting the dealer downloaded the template and emailed me a picture of the template on the box. It fits but is real close. I am putting a Garmin 3210 on , which is smaller, while I wait for the 4212 to hit the dealer(BOE Marine). I will post installation. Thanks.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
I had a 3010 on my old Scout 235 and really liked it. I would like to see if you can fit a 4212 in there. Please keep us posted. Pics would be nice also.

pcww

Reaction score
pro23spt,
I should have listened to you. It is going to be a mess to chop it up. Maybe Grady will have a narrower box. If not I will have to get one made.

sailfish282

Reaction score
273 chase

Henry did you get your electronics installed? could you post that template I have a 2006 Chase 273 with a Furuno GP7000F gps fishfinder and a low line Furuno 1712 mono radar it was on the boat when I purchased it.
where did you mount your autopilot and stereo and what kind did you use
Thanks
Jeff

pcww

Reaction score
Here is pretty much what I ended up with.

http://picasaweb.google.com/henrykinney ... 8909823010

The Equipment:
Garmin 3210c bundle with XM weather and fishfinder
Garmin GMR 18 Radar
Airmar M260 transducer
TR1 Autopilot

The VHF is is the radio box up top and the stereo came mounted in the console with a remote near the helm.

I ended up have to route a recess(rabbitt) around the mounting hole for the garmin to countersink it a little bit for clearance issues but it works like a champ now!

good luck and let me know if I can be of any more help[/img]

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Really wanted to see if you could squeeze a 4212 in there but I guess there is no way it would fit.

pcww

Reaction score
No, it won't fit.
I had the template printed up and the 4212 is just too big. I called Grady to see if they had a fix and the weren't too helpful. Their only suggestion was to wait until they update the model and buy a new one??? I think they were surprised that anyone would want to add a 12" mfd to their boat.
I think it wouldn't be that hard to redo the popup hatch but it was more work than I was willing to do...

good luck

pcww

Reaction score
I do agree they could have made the opening a bit bigger but unfortunately there's just not too much room under the console. In my case there are a lot of things tucked up under that electronics box....trim tab acctuator, back of the helm, garmin network components, autopilot parts... it just wouldn't be worthwhile.
I think the easiest fix is to just cut off the piece (where the 3210 is installed) from the lid and both increase the size and move it closer to the bow by an inch or two. Not to mention you could increase the width a couple of inches on each side b/c on mine there is a pretty big gap on the sides.

Call Grady White and let them know about your dilemma...perhaps the more people they know about that are running into this problem will make them update the box.
That is what gets me....It is still the same e-box that is on the current Chase and it will not accomodate industry standard electronics!

good luck

sailfish282

Reaction score
autopilot

GulfGrady said:
This is the setup I have on my 273. I don't think a 12 inch display will fit on the lower console. I have the Airmar M260 thruhull mounted on the port side at the rear of the boat.
DSC02154.jpg
DSC02155.jpg

Where did you mount the autopilot pump and is it quiet I am putting an AP-26 in my 2005 273 chase and was looking for some install photos
thanks

GulfGrady

Reaction score
My pump for the AP-26 is located in exactly the same place as PCWW's. Check out his photo's. It is also very quiet.