Location of live well pump? 2021, GW 235 dual console

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
My live well pump stopped working. All my fuses in the main fuse block are good. What else can I check? Where exactly is the pump? I’ve looked in that stern space where the batteries are located but I don’t see the livewell pump anywhere. Can anyone give me any advice on where to find the pump, and what else I can do to check things out? Is there some convenient place to find wiring connections to the pump so that I can check for voltage? Where? Unless the pump is exceptionally quiet I don’t think the pump is running at all. I didn’t try listening for the pump running with the engine turned off, but I could try that.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Start by downloading the GW owners manual from the GW site. Loaded with useful information.

Livewell - Raw Water
To operate the livewell, open the seacock in the aft bilge using the remote seacock arm labeled livewell. The livewell pump is screwed directly into this seacock. Plug the drain in the bottom of the livewell and place the livewell switch on the helm switch panel in the “on” position. Water will enter through a plenum along the side of the livewell and be distributed through a series of holes arranged vertically along the plenum. The water will rise until it reaches the overflow drain at the top of the plenum, and then drain overboard.

If they are using the Rule snap in livewell pumps they are prone to failure and easy to replace. I have several posts on this site regarding them.

Last edited:

billbass

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Start by downloading the GW owners manual from the GW site. Loaded with useful information.

Livewell - Raw Water
To operate the livewell, open the seacock in the aft bilge using the remote seacock arm labeled livewell. The livewell pump is screwed directly into this seacock. Plug the drain in the bottom of the livewell and place the livewell switch on the helm switch panel in the “on” position. Water will enter through a plenum along the side of the livewell and be distributed through a series of holes arranged vertically along the plenum. The water will rise until it reaches the overflow drain at the top of the plenum, and then drain overboard.

If they are using the Rule snap in livewell pumps they are prone to failure and easy to replace. I have several posts on this site regarding them.
Thank you. The pump did work a few months ago and it is possible i had left the sea cock valve closed. I'll check on that. That might be my problem. Thank you for your excellent instructions:)

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thank you. The pump did work a few months ago and it is possible i had left the sea cock valve closed. I'll check on that. That might be my problem. Thank you for your excellent instructions:)
Those pumps are very good but they don't last. I burn thru a few a year. Warranty with Rule/Xylem is great (3-years) but West Marine has cheap extended warranty that I use too. For $10 I can swap the pump anytime.