LOCKER GLOVE BOX KEY

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
I have a 2007 185 Tournament. I need the glove box and locker keys. Are those only available thru a GW dealer or can I get them thru the lock manufacturer? I don't have any keys.
Thanks, Pete

wrxhoon

Reaction score
If you can take one lock off take it to a locksmith and they will cut a new key relatively cheap.

seasick

Reaction score
There may be a number stamped on the lock face. If so, ask other Grady owners to look at their keys and see if they have one with the same number. Another option is to call the lock manufacturer often Perko or Southco with that number. I am pretty sure you can order dupes

grady23

Reaction score
I never lock mine since a thief will do FAR MORE damage getting in there then its worth. If they want it, they will get it anyway.

seasick

Reaction score
I never lock mine since a thief will do FAR MORE damage getting in there then its worth. If they want it, they will get it anyway.

I have heard the same story form several fellow boaters. They say the same about the cabin lock. Personally I lock the cabin door but physically remove my gimble mounted electronics. If they want the VHF radio, so be it.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2007 185 Tournament. I need the glove box and locker keys. Are those only available thru a GW dealer or can I get them thru the lock manufacturer? I don't have any keys.
Thanks, Pete

I forgot to mention that a locksmith may be more expensive than just installing new locks. If the locker and glove box are currently locked you really need the correct key.

Fishtales

Reaction score

Totally agree with this. No reason to lock anything on your boat. Anyone looking to get in will and they will damage things to do so.

seasick

Reaction score
I am curious. Might an insurance company challenge a claim for theft if the owner left the doors open?:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Didn't know that. Here is America, they don't pay if locked or unlocked!

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Those are great questions to ask at renewal time. Also, just speaking theirhetically...if the thing is unlocked and theft occurs, a hammer throw to protect yourself....you know, to scare off the thief if they are there still....that happens to hit the lock...solves a lot of problems.

Especially if you are really really scared and throw it a bunch of times.

Lastly..I have found a claim is a claim.... lock it..not that huge a difference to add the box to the claim....big difference to not be able to add any of it.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As for the Perko locks that came with my Grady, I learned recently that a very small flat head screw driver opens every one of those locks just as easily as the key while causing no damage to the lock. Y'all don't know where I keep my boat, right?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
you can turn the whole lock right out with your bare hand if you try hard enough...pliers make it easy.
They are there to
1. make us feel better
2. keep honest people honest
3. force a thief to "break and enter" which means something if they get caught