Long-Term Winter Storage

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If I have been using Startron religiously, do I still need Sta-bill for the long hibernation period (as in closed Striper season)? I know about the full tank before you tuck her in for the winter, but just not sure what to be putting in the tank. Thanks.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i don't use startron so i don't know if it is a competing or companion product to stabil. i have used stabil with every fueling since we went to e-10. on winter lay-up, it gets an extra dose for storage. if the startron is just companion, i would use the stabil for lay-up. ron

seasick

Reaction score
Startron is a water absorber as far as I know and not necessarily a stabilizer. . I use Stabil for storage

striped bass

Reaction score
Stor-N-Start was suggested to me by Grady White. Anybody out there in Grady-land have any experience wioth Stor-n-Start?

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
striped bass said:
Stor-N-Start was suggested to me by Grady White. Anybody out there in Grady-land have any experience wioth Stor-n-Start?
I have used Stor-N-Start since 2002 on a Mercury Saltwater Optimax and my Yamaha 250 TXR. I use it religiously at every fill up and for winter storage. I have never had a fuel problem and would recommend it to you. One oz. treats five gallons of fuel so it pretty economical. I buy it from my local Sea Ray dlr and I think I pay about $16.50 per quart. It's good stuff!

seasick

Reaction score
catch22 said:
Startron gasoline additive claims it stabilizes fuel for 1 year. Diesel additive - 2 years.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/content ... 3/lang,en/

Catch22: Thanks for that reference. I didn't look at Startron as a Stabilizer. I will stay with the Stabil since it has worked for me. I wonder if there is a potential with too much of a good thing, in particular, mixing different stabilizers together. I am not familiar with Stor and Start at all.

catch22

Reaction score
seasick said:
catch22 said:
Startron gasoline additive claims it stabilizes fuel for 1 year. Diesel additive - 2 years.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/content ... 3/lang,en/

Catch22: Thanks for that reference. I didn't look at Startron as a Stabilizer. I will stay with the Stabil since it has worked for me. I wonder if there is a potential with too much of a good thing, in particular, mixing different stabilizers together. I am not familiar with Stor and Start at all.

Hey, no problem.

I remember seeing the "stabalizes for 1 year" on the Startron label. So I thought I'd post a link.

I've added Stabil to the fuel tank for winter storage, after using Startron up until the end of the season, (had better than half a tank already treated with Startron) and I didn't have any problems. So I guess it's ok. Check out "frequent questions", under the "about Startron" tab. One of the questions was "can I add too much", (over-dose), and they said "no"... too much will not harm the fuel.

A friend of mine used nothing but Startron last year. Layed up for 4 months, (full tank) had no problems.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I have used Star-Tron on my Gradys over the last 5 years and have never had a problem. However, I go against the grain of the phylosophy of storing tanks full. I store them as empty as possible. I figure, if I'm going to have a water/gas problem, I would sure rather have it with a couple gallons of gas as opposed to 350 gallons. I just dose the tanks real well with Star-tron before I put them to bed. In the Spring I fill them up and run them for 15-20 hours then change the fuel/water separators. I have never had a problem.

Sta-bil and Star-Tron are basically the same. You are wasting your money if you use both.

Brad1

Reaction score
striped bass said:

I used to use Stor-N-Start religiously in very engine I put away for the winter (dirt bike, street bike, three outboards, lawnmower, weedeater, etc.). I liked Stor-n-start because it was highly concentrated and didn't contain alchohol. Then one year I had a problem when I started my 4 cylinder, 4 carburator street bike on an unussually warm day in January. Fortunately, the problem wasn't too bad and I was able to remedy it chemically (using Sea Foam). Despite that problem, I continued to use Stor-n-start for the next couple years. This year, I switched to use Stabil for Ethonal gas.

Bottom line, on one occaision in my personal experience, Stor-n-start didn't do it's job.

catch22

Reaction score
I know this has been a hot topic lately, because of the E-10 gas, (top-off, or empty?). Imo, it's a tough call. I completely agree with those that say, less fuel, less expense, (if there's a problem after storage). At the same time, less fuel in the tank means more air space, and possibly more water contamination due to condensation. Some manufacturers are still recomending "top-off", (full). According to what I've read, it's not just a case of less fuel, more air space, but more because the ethanol in the fuel "attracts" water, and that compounds the "air space" problem.
I honestly don't know which is the "absolute best" way, but for now I'm still going with 3/4 full, (or better) and treated. That's for 5 to 6 months of storage. If I were storing a boat for a year or more, I would go with completely empty.
I also think it's very important to run your motor, (under way) long enough to make sure the newly treated fuel gets through the engine.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Here is a link to an excellant article on condensation in fuel tanks

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_cond ... _tanks.htm

It was written pre-E10 but I think it is still applicable in regards to how much (if any) water forms in a tank due to condensation.

Pre-E10 I wasn't to worried about how much fuel was in my tanks at the end of the season. I used Sta-bil and its only in storage from mid-December to Mid-March.

With E-10 I worry about the loss of octane (even with Sta-bil) and phase seperation (when the water/alchol seperates).

I falling on the side of thinking that with less fuel in the tanks the odds of a problem may increase slightly, but that the ability to correct it will be easier (i.e. 50 gals left in tank diluated with 100 gals fresh fuel in the spring)

I never had a problem with my inboards but realize outboards are differeant.....any other thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Treat the fuel and fill the tanks but don't top off, the gas will expand when it warns up in the spring and pushes out the vent onto the hull and ground. Don't be chinzy on treatment dosage, overdose if you want if label says it's ok.

Filling your tanks now with $2.50 per gallon gas, you will save hundreds when gas prices return to $5 bucks come memorial day 2009, don't you know.

So it shoud be easy to decide, it's not about the maybe/maybe not condensation debate this time, we will see about the 2009 season end.

And if you can as I do, use my 6 gallon portables to buy the gas when it is drydocked in the driveway, more savings from the local car station pumps works out that much $$ better.