Looking at 05 282 sailfish

Mangler

Reaction score
Could use eyes from the current Grady experts, I'm looking to purchase a sailfish and came across this
Everything is in almost perfect condition but this crack. Before I spend 300-500.00 to have the boat surveyed how scary is this crack? It's only in the splash well area. And when on a sea trial with 3 adults water doesn't appear to roll up into the well at all coming off plane.

There are no cracks on the back side of the transom at all - no bulges it looks perfect on the back side. Boat has been stored on a boat lift all its life with no bottom paint, and the hull is prestine. The bilge area seems in great condition.

Not sure if I did the link correct but you can click it to view the picture.

thanks in advance for any guidance!

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
As a 282 owner I'll jump in with a series of clarifying questions that the more experienced members here are going to ask to understand the situation:
- which power option is on the boat? (F225 or F250?)
- how many hours?
- is the crack/corner tab also evident on the port side of the splash-well?
- does the current owner have an explanation for the repair and the timing of the occurrence?

If you're really interested in this boat, you're going to need at least a professional survey, if not also a quote from a professional boat shop for a structural repair. That hairline cracking down to below the splash well drain means that the transom on this boat 1) has been moved/damaged in the past, and 2) continues to move despite cosmetic attempts to repair. Because of the amount of load that the transom takes on a 10k lb boat (more or less), this isn't an issue to take lightly.

I'll be on my boat tomorrow night and I'll try to take some pictures of the corner of the splash-well to see if I have that same corner bracket looking thing, and if cracking is visible. I'm a 2002 282 with F225, 615hrs on original power heads, for comparison.

Bob.

Mangler

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in!

Its Dual 225's
1000 hours have all maintenance records from the Grady dealer that performed all the service. Bought new from them and lift kept all its life.
Yes that crack is on the port side but much smaller.

I just wanted to get some opinions from someone would know better than myself. im trying to get an explanation from the dealer now.
Honestly I didn't want to waste money on a survey if based off someone with more experience with issues like this are saying to walk and don't look back. Not worth the time / effort and money.

Also on the outside of the transom wall the aluminum cap and back side the motors are mounted to are super clean. this is why I thought this was strange but maybe something just cosmetic

Thank you!

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 05 Sailfish, 900 hours on 250s and no such cracks. If I saw that I would walk. Maybe I'm too skeptical but a general surveyor probably isnt going to investigate that deeply enough that I'd bet the purchase price on. Second, and almost most important (to me anyhow) are those cracks in those locations and the structural problems they may possibly represent would constantly bother me and cause second guessing about the purchase. This won't sound too scientific but if you're taking the time to really question it, then don't do it. Save yourself the possible anguish and get a boat that you're 100% confident in.

Mangler

Reaction score
Very good point thanks Steve!

I think the previous owner must have had an impact with a dock pretty hard or who knows. everything else is in such good shape its a shame.

You are right I spoke with a surveyor and he told me he couldn't inspect that issue and would only write it up in a report that it needs to be checked by another party for fiberglass and structural issues.
I've asked the dealer to have it tested on their dime for structural safety. If they had it tested to be sure the transom is sound I would consider purchasing - very unlikely the transom is wet or rotted because it sat on a covered lift all its life. Also very unlikely they will test it on their own.

Wish these Models weren't so hard to find, I love the floor plan layout! and they sure do run nice!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The fact that they are so hard to find should tell GW that there is still a significant demand for a boat of this caliber and versatility in this price range. I have always thought it was a mistake to discontinue this model and the 29 footer is a huge price jump.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That crack is a BIG DEAL and needs to be repaired with a great deal of glass work. I would also suspect that the PO impacted the motors or it was involved in a collision, fell of a trailer or lift, or ran aground. The motors will need to be removed and the transom area rebuilt. When water seeps into that crack its not coming out. And this winter it will of course freeze. If you love the boat I would subtract about 15K from the negotiated price.

Also I would beware of any dealer that is telling you this is "no big deal". Perhaps if you get a survey you can renegotiate the price.

Mangler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input - unless the dealer comes back with something spectacular, rest assured I will be walking.

I guess my search continues!

Thanks guys

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I wouldn't rule out buying it cheap and having it professionally repaired. Hell, somebody should have filed an insurance claim on that.. But also, be sure the 225's have the exhaust tubes replaced. Not a big deal for the Grady/Yamaha dealer, but $2500 each for you.

Could be worse, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24149

Mangler

Reaction score
They already had the motors inspected for the corrosion issue and provided me with the clean bill of health report.

I think that's part of the problem with the dealer. They took it in on trade and maybe paid too much themselves.
So I doubt they will do much more of a discount that I've already negotiated with them, I'm betting they will just hope someone else comes by and doesn't notice the issue.
its been 24 hours and they haven't gotten back to me so I assume I wont hear back from them hah.

I'm exploring all options now. I just loved the layout of the 282 it was perfect for me and this boat is in fantastic condition overall and at a really good price point - just this issue could cost 5K to fix is a show stopper for me I guess.
Not a risk I want to take after spending so much to buy it.

I will just keep searching for a 282 to pop up on the market down here in Tampa FL area.

Thanks man!

capeguy

Reaction score
I have an '06 Sailfish w/T225HP Yammies. I would be very concerned about that crack as others are, and you are as well.

I hear you about this boat, I love it. They no longer offer the 29 Chesapeake either, so no walkaround model between 25' and 30'. For owners like me, this is very good as they are rare!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds like the dealer is hoping to pass this thing off. It does need the corrosion work as well, even if its showing no signs now, if you believe them.

Anybody prospective buyer is going to have the same concerns. Sounds like a shady dealer !

RJTFD

Reaction score
capeguy said:
I have an '06 Sailfish w/T225HP Yammies. I would be very concerned about that crack as others are, and you are as well.

I hear you about this boat, I love it. They no longer offer the 29 Chesapeake either, so no walkaround model between 25' and 30'. For owners like me, this is very good as they are rare!

2 of their best models no longer being made but in the most demand...265 & 282.. Nothing between the 25 and 29 both of which are not offshore fishing boats more of family inshore type. The 29 and above are exponentially a lot more to run and maintain which cuts out a lot of us. Really can't understand Grady's marketing and the audience they are looking to attract. I had a 232 and was a great boat fishing wise but in 2006 they changed the design cut down the fuel capacity and really doesn't serve the serious fisherman. The Journey is pretty much the same thing.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Just a thought, but I would call Grady and ask to speak with someone about the structural components of the transom. I am not saying this is not a big deal, but it might not be all that bad either.

When I was looking for my 272 Sailfish the first one I looked at I saw that caulking line in the same place both sides and thought it was a crappy repair. I was worried but saw all the other sailfishes I looked at had the same. If that was not supposed to flex they would not have put a bead of caulking there. I am sure that is more than it should be, but I guess it would be worth more investigation before you write off the boat if the rest of the deal is that good.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
So I still don't have a photo from my boat, but Medic is correct, my boat also has a caulking line in each corner of the splash well.

HOWEVER, there is no corner bracket over the top of the metal cap, as there is in your photo, and there are NO stress cracks in the gelcoat running down under the transom scuppers, and the caulking lines are fully intact (looks factory).

Sit on top of the outboard and see if the crack in the caulking line moves (grows/shrinks).

Mangler

Reaction score
so updated! I did have a lengthy discussion with Grady and the structural engineer and after him reviewing all the pictures I sent he says it is indeed just cosmetic and needed to be re-sealed. The transom is sound as can be just needed some lifeseal.

I did end up buying the boat after all and I love it :) :dance
Lots to get used to and learn about it - runs fantastic!

Thanks for all the advise guys! I walked into the deal very cautious and after the survey came back so clean plus the Grady engineer re-assuring me. couldn't pass it up. so hard to find.