looking at 91 Marlin

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Looking at a 91 marlin in nc on fri. It has twin 2001 250 ox66 motors. I have not seen many of these that old what kind of isssues should I look for. I realize stringers and such looking for any common issues. She has been fished every year maintained by the marina selling it. One motor had the power head replaced it needs a good cleaning the trailer is ok. New bottom paint. Old electronics (Got that covered). Seem to be spending most of my time in the 40+ range feeling a bigger boat is in need. I like the grady and would prefer to stay with them. My personal use would been a fishing boat. Have anyone any opinion on the old girl?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I would to the normal stuff on the motors. Compression, check lower unit oil for water, check for any major corrosion.

If the boat was used often, fuel quality shouldn't be an issue. I would go over all the wiring on the boat, most likely it's all original. You can do that even after you buy it as that shouldn't make or break a deal.

I guess take a look at the transom, if the motors are trimmed up try putting your weight on them to see if there is any flex in the transom.

I don't know much about that model/year, these are just simple things I look at before buying any boat. Good luck!

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
X2 on the transom. There is a Marlin transom rebuild discussed here

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27833

I'd also check out the floors well. Also see how much of the gas tanks you can inspect through the deck plates.

I had my Sailfish shipped up from NC and it had 2 gallons of water in the main tank but it had been sitting for a long time.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Picked it up fri. She is a dirty girl. It had been maintained hoses replaced, engines had maintenance records. Just plain dirty though. Bought it for 14,500 with trailer. Boat is solid. have a electrical issue and motor issue which will post in another thread.Trailer is nice except tandem axel. Towed it two hours lost only one tire.(thought it would be more) She is off at a detail shop. Some electronics radar.

Mr Honey Do

Reaction score
Well congrads!
I just posted my thoughts about the motor issue in your other thread.
What size is your Marlin?
It sounds like we may have the exact set up!
Mine is a '91 Marlin 28 (about a 30') with the twin 250's.
Yea mine was dirty too.
Im having mine re-upholstered and a new head liner put in the cabin as well.
It did clean up nice.
My biggest issue has been corrosion to the wiring.
My boat sat for quite a few years with no love at all.
Slowly but surely its getting there.
You got both the boat, motors (twin 250's?) and trailer for $14.5?
I'd say you did alright.
Stay in touch!!!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GreatWhite23 said:
Picked it up fri. She is a dirty girl. It had been maintained hoses replaced, engines had maintenance records. Just plain dirty though. Bought it for 14,500 with trailer. Boat is solid. have a electrical issue and motor issue which will post in another thread.Trailer is nice except tandem axel. Towed it two hours lost only one tire.(thought it would be more) She is off at a detail shop. Some electronics radar.

Congratulations, and good luck with your new to you vessel!

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Thank you,
Will be working on her this weekend saturday 2-3 ft waves but a lot of summer left. Ordered new filters , fuel pumps O2 sensors Thermostats and water pumps. Got some pics of the detail job. seems to look like a different boat. Inside the cushions are to moldy to keep. Thinking headliner will go to. When she is done I will be happy with her. She is a lot of boat had a hard time backing in to boat slip with current and 15 plus wind.Been getting insurance quotes of 1800 per year. My Gulf was only 600. Seems very high to me. Guess they are making up for Sandy.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$14,500 seems like a great deal for that package. Your insurance quotes do seem high at $1800 - aren't they based on stated value?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GreatWhite23 said:
Thank you,
Will be working on her this weekend saturday 2-3 ft waves but a lot of summer left. Ordered new filters , fuel pumps O2 sensors Thermostats and water pumps. Got some pics of the detail job. seems to look like a different boat. Inside the cushions are to moldy to keep. Thinking headliner will go to. When she is done I will be happy with her. She is a lot of boat had a hard time backing in to boat slip with current and 15 plus wind.Been getting insurance quotes of 1800 per year. My Gulf was only 600. Seems very high to me. Guess they are making up for Sandy.

Most of the models have cabin cushions that have removable covers that can be removed and cleaned. not sure about yours, but if they are otherwise in good shape maybe try to salvage them.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
I insured at a value of 20,000 I do not think I will get that lucky again. I did get the motors running smooth. Just needed TLC. The cushions are shot am saving them for a patterns. The head liner needs replacement, thinking carpeting???? Will post pics tomorrow. The detailer did a assume job. Very happy with boat. Sold Gulfstream Fri night :dance

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats again on the quick sale - time to change your signature... 8)

You are very happy with the detailing - just curious, what did they do and what did they charge?

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
The detailing cost 1150. Thirty dollars a foot plus cabin. The inside was nasty cabin had been let go for years. The exterior had to be compounded then waxed. It had not chalked but was close. They also cleaned the curtains. I did the Gulfstream myself took about three days the marlin was to big.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the new boat after detailing.

Attachments

• Greatwhite best pic.jpg
    Greatwhite best pic.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,389
  • Greatwhite1.jpg
    Greatwhite1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,389
  • greatwhite2.jpg
    greatwhite2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,389

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boat looks great. Even your cabin windows look to be in good condition. (My side windows are shot.) If the previous owner sees it he will be kicking himself for letting it go for such a good price... 8)