Looking at a 2000 Seafarer 226 - Need tips to look for common issues

kevinmccoole

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi All - Wife and I are looking at a 2000 Seafarer 226 on Friday. Going to bring a mirror and a flashlight to view as much of the boat as I can.

Looking for advice on known issues to look out for. The boat is priced at a premium given the low hours on the engine and I want to avoid any future surprises. I also comes with a new trailer.

Wife and i are in Eliot Maine.

Appreciate any and all guidance!

Kevin

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Kevin. I have a ‘99 226 that I bought 3 years ago and I love the boat. That being said, you are talking about a 22 year old boat. There are known transom issues with Gradys of that vintage as well as a host of other things depending on how it was maintained/used. I’m in my 60’s, been around boats most of my life and consider myself pretty knowledgeable but I still wouldn’t consider buying anything like that without a comprehensive survey from a competent surveyor.

kevinmccoole

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the response! I do plan on having it surveyed!

Thanks again for the feedback!

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi kevin, how did it go? Yamaha ox66 on it?

kevinmccoole

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well that one got scooped up by a buyer that was ahead of us. But we are looking at a 2003 226 with Yamaha 225 tomorrow that had it's transom rebuilt by the marina that services it (also a Yamaha dealer)....Thanks for checking in!

pessacake

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Cool! Did they close the transom in or keep the notch?

Fishtales

Reaction score
See if the Yamaha had the mid section done. Fairly common problem that if caught early can be corrected without affecting the engine.