Looking at buying 97' 232 gulfstream. Advice??

TXDeer5layer

Reaction score
Looking at possibly buying a 97' 232 gulfstream, freshwater boat. Everything looks clean. It has an evinrude oceanpro 250.

Is there anything in particular i need to look at on these model boats? Any known problems? etc etc

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I own a Gulfstream and was close to replying to you yesterday. The reason I didn't is that your question is out of my area of expertise,(which includes most things anyway..)

I can say that a 97 should probably have a survey by a qualified pro. I would also have the Oceanpro checked completely..compression, corrosion, etc..If it is necessary to repower, consider twins in the 150-200 HP range. I personally would not want a Gulfstream without twins..Others will disagree. Take your time, listen to all and make an informed decision. It ain't cheap, as I'm sure you know.

There could be water intrusion in the decking and transom; I would assume they aforementioned survey would cover that possibility.

The 232 Gulfstream is a great boat. I and others here love them. It is one of Grady's finest and if you have stumbled onto a good one here, you'll be really pleased once you get it together and run it.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Where are you using it?? What kind of fishing are you planning on doing?? Some cruise, some go 50+ offshore. I am no expert. Wife made me get a bigger boat sence my bayboat keep going under. Really do like the grady. I would pay for a survey best money you can spend. How many hours on motors. I would be more concerned about the motor than boat. What kind of boat do you or have you owned?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most of what I'm about to write goes for all boats in general.
If there is wood in the boat, it could rot. Transoms are often rotted, even those with outboard brackets.
Have the boat surveyed, it is money well spent.
1997 250hp outboards are pretty old technology (use a lot of fuel and 2 cycle oil). They are also likely near the point that they will begin to nickel dime you to death, or worse yet blow a hole in a piston.
Use a camera or your phone with a flashlight and take lots of photos when you look at the boat, trust me you will look at them later. Take photos where your eyes cannot see (in the bilge, behind the cover plates, etc). It's kind of like looking at a new house and being able to see the framing behind the walls, gives you a better picture of how the structural integrity of the boat is.
Look for soft spots on the deck.
Tap on the entire hull with a rubber mallet, your looking for hull delamination, weak spots or cracked stringers.
Do a compression check on the engine. It doesn't tell you everything, but it gives you a starting point.
Ask lots of questions; service records, modifications, etc.
Download brochure from Grady and print the pages for the Gulfstream.
Download and print the closest performance report you can get (Grady often has old reports if you ask them). Yamaha has many, might be close enough.
Once you have the items above, you should have a feel of how the boar should perform (speed, fuel burn, maximum rpm, etc). When you go for a sea trial you should come close to the numbers. Also, you will know what the boat is supposed to look like from the factory (and what options were available).
Aslk to see and test everything, VHF radio, windshield wiper(s), tachometer, pumps, tabs, trim and tilt, lights, horn, cushions, curtains, etc. Anything that doesn't work will take your time and money to fix.

Finally, I spent many hours on a 2000 Gulfstream. Overall I liked the boat, especially the layout for fishing. However, I always thought it needed more power (it had a single 225 Yamaha EFI). I also found it frustrating how difficult it was to keep the nose down in anything above two foot seas. We installer larger trim tabs and it helped a little. I've read many times that with twins, the nose actually stays down better. I guess despite the added roughly 450 pounds on the twin bracket, the additional thrust makes the boat run parallel to the water instead or the bow constantly rising like a large beach ball that your trying to sink in a garbage can.

Sorry for the rambling, hope it helps

mboyatt

Reaction score
I would suggest getting the survey as mentioned above, then you will know for sure if the boat has issues that would make it too costly to deal with. Peace of mind. Regarding the Evinrude Oceanpro, I wouldn't say its at the end of it's life just because of its age. Those engines are bulletproof if taken care of. I have a 1994 Evinrude 200hp Oceanpro, and she runs like a top. Very reliable and easy to work on and maintain. She has been a dream. Now, I will say this. That sucker LOVES the juice. It sucks down fuel and oil like it is going out of style. And she is loud as he'll. Having said that, the motor has been 100 percent reliable and even though it is older technology, I wouldn't replace her just because of that. If I can get another 5 or more years out of the motor, I will gladly do so. By the way, I am not going 20 miles off shore, etc.... If you are doing that, then you may want to consider twins and perhaps 4 strokes. Good luck!!! And if you like the boat a lot, get the survey. :D

Jas

Reaction score
I have a ‘97 Gulfstream with a 250 Yamaha and love it, it’s a great boat. (but like others have asked, what are you using it for?) With a bow pulpit, swim platform and transom bracket she’s about 27’ LoA. A steady wide fishing platform, room enough for four guys to fish comfortably, very good on the drift but not the fastest boat on the pond, no duh. Yep, I’d maybe like it more if it had twin engines, but using that logic, I’d like it even more if it was a 330 Express! My preference would also be for a Yammy vs. an OceanPro, but again you never get everything you want. (But how many hours?)

Jumps on plane no problem, I put a four blade prop on her and makes a big difference, she handles very well, in almost all conditions, but quartering seas are a PITA. Check the plastic thru hulls, my bet is they are broken. This was the last year GW used that type, I replaced mine with stainless steel. This is not a difficult fix but on the PITA meter it is a 9. Also check the cubby windows these have a notorious history of leaking, again a pretty easy fix. Mine had a Danforth anchor and I replaced that with a Fortress. The faux wood grain can be brought back to life with a Penatrol, but after awhile looks faded. I painted mine and think they look a lot better. Also replaced the VHF radio, added a stereo and a combo GPS/FF, a Garmin 541 a new compass and combing pads. (now I’m ready to upgrade! Ha.)

What about the main and auxiliary tanks? Have they been run recently? How old is the gas in there? Do you have maintenance and winterization records? All the old criteria for maintaining gas engines has been thrown out the window with the introduction of E10 gas. Yes you’re gonna burn a lot of gas and oil, (while having fun) otherwise buy a sailboat.

What about a trailer? And what’s your tow vehicle? Best of luck, let us know, and post some pics!

Ted

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd make sure you have the transom checked out thoroughly. I believe 1998 was the first year that rot-resistant Greenwood XL was used as coring material so the 97 won't have it. Not that Greenwood is a panacea - just make sure the transom is okay.

SouthPass

Reaction score
My 93 Gulfstream has bracket and is in good shape. I have a pair of 2000 model 150 Evinrudes with 1400 hrs
And still running great. 4 blade props really help with getting up and would not consider a single motor
Can't go wrong with this boat. A real battle wagon

grady23

Reaction score
I too have a '97 with twin 150's. Mine are the original Saltwater series II 2-stroke engines. As mentioned, they can be about 22% less efficient then the 4-strokes. They DO have a great hole shot as most 2-strokes do. Having twins is of course more expensive due to double maintenance. This "OK" with me since I do all the work myself anyway. I have spoken to MANY other Gulfstream owners with a single 225 or 250 and they almost ALL have said they would prefer the twin setup. My boat gets on plane with about 35-40% throttle even when loaded with 4 big guys and all our gear for a day on the water. The twin setup handles better around the dock as well. The other plus with counter-rotating twins is that the boat tracks much better at lower speeds. I have found that a boat with a single tends to "wander". I have had two situations in the past 3-4 years where on water problems with one engine caused me to return to the dock. Having the second engine meant I didn't need to wait on a tow-boat to get there. The '97 are rated for up to 400HP total. Believe it or not, the twin HPDI 200's are rated for better GPH then the 150's. The other advantage with twins is run there on TWO and then troll on ONE. I use about 1.7- 1.9 GPH when slow trolling n one engine when sea conditions allow and they usually do. Spend your time wisely and look long and hard --- Took me 11 months before I settled on my boat. A one owner, lift kept in a boat shed and very low hrs. Of course that was in 2002. Look for someone that is anal about cleaning and maintenance. You might pay more, but in the long run it will be worth it. DO NOT for get about a survey unless you are confident you can give the boat a god going over. BTW --- 2-stroke compression should be in the 120PSI range on all cylinders. It doesn't take long to do a compression check. If the owner objects --- WALK AWAY!
PS--- I'm fairly sure my '97 has marine grade "Green" plywood in the transom. A simple moisture meter from the hardware store can be very helpful here or make sure the surveyor has one and checks.