Looking at getting into a '97 27' Sailfish....HELP!

stuntstud2

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about the mid 90's Sailfish ecspecially 1997? I am looking for the quality of the boat at the time, any common problems, and ride quality. The boat will be used to go to the beach, and offshore fish. How does the boat ride in rough water? Does it pound? I am coming from a late 80's 26 mako on a bracket.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a 1995 272 with twin 200 HPDI motors. It is a great boat for fishing both in shore and off shore. I have had it in Long Island Sound where the water is choppy and I had to slow the boat down a little, and I have had it out in deep water off of Atlantic City with 8 foot seas with out any problems. Remenber a boat is only as safe as the captian is and only as comfortable as the captain wants it to be. My 272 is the best boat that I have ever had.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

This is a great boat. I had a 1996 272 with Johnsons for 6 seasons. No problems and super ride. In the rough stuff just use your tabs like any other deep V boat and put your big sharp bow down some and it will eat it up. I sharked fished it allot on the Atlantic off Long Island and it drifted nice without any major rolling. Good luck.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 97 272. Great boat. You'll have to slow down into head seas but the boat is very stable and has great fishing space. I fished mine anywhere from 1 to 60 nm offshore. Always felt safe.

ahill

Reaction score
I wnet to a '98 272 from a 1988 250 Mako Cuddy.
No comparison between the 2. You'll love the 272

stuntstud2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. Does anyone know of any common issues to look for? I haven't heard anything bad, but that doesn't mean there isn't common issues. How dry is the ride? Also when you say slow down into a head sea...exactly how slow (or generally)?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found the boat to be fairly dry until you get into a beam sea. All boats will toss water when running in the troughs. I had my 272 in solid 5' seas on a few occaisions. Wasn't pleasant but boat handled it fine.

Speed in head seas is based on wave period, use of trim tabs, and comfort level. If you put the tabs down you can make 18-20 kts in anything fishable. The stability of the 20 degree deadrise allows fishing without crawling on your knees.

Deep Vs will allow higher speeds into a head sea but will rock and roll much more. Best bet is to sea trail a 272 to see if it meets your needs.

ahill

Reaction score
My only handling issue is the boat crosstracks in any beam sea. The bow can't be lifted high enough to alleviate this problem.
I've had it in some pretty nasty stuff on Bimini trips and have always felt secure. My only spray problem is wind whipped.

stuntstud2

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I have heard from some people that a 272 will pound considerably more than the Mako. That is really my main concern. Well that and getting wet. I want to be dry and I don't want to be beat to death.

A

Anonymous

Yeah well, an aircraft carrier will pound too when the seas are that tall. Everything has its limits.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is so simple answer to how a boat handles a given sea state. You can plow through head seas at a faster clip in an Albemarle 26 or 28. You will also rock and roll just sitting at the dock and list badly if two people stand near the same gunnel.

Every hull is a tradeoff. Your best bet is to ride on several boats to see what suits your needs. Don't forget to see how it drifts and runs in beam and following seas as well. It can be a real adventure to steer a deep V when running downsea. :lol:

I personally prefer a modified V as with GW, BW, Pursuit, and Scout hulls.
You can always slow down to minimize pounding but you cannot keep a deep V from rocking.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
megabytes said:
There is so simple answer to how a boat handles a given sea state. You can plow through head seas at a faster clip in an Albemarle 26 or 28. You will also rock and roll just sitting at the dock and list badly if two people stand near the same gunnel.

That said it all - sea trial boat in appropriate conditions to evaluate ride.

Too much "armchair internet product reviewing" going on.

ahill

Reaction score
You need to sea trial a 272. The difference between your Mako and a 272 are too vast to explain. You gotta feel it to see it!

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
96 272

I love my boat, 1996 with Merc 200 EFI's. In three years I've never had a problem, from fishing for flounder in the back bay or trolling for tuna 40 miles offshore. the other posts in this thread are correct; no boat is big enough when the seas are too strong. But we jumped from a Overnighter 204 and the difference is beyond description!

stuntstud2

Reaction score
Again thank you too everyone. I am obviously going to sea trial the boat. I just wanted to hear about any handling quirks or common problems with the boat. Thanks again.

JOSH S

Reaction score
I purchased a used 97 model with twin Yamaha 225s this spring. The only handling quirk I have is that the hull likes to lean to the port when on plane between 20-30 mph. Other than that I have been very pleased with the ride. I'm also very impressed that this hull raises fish quite well when trolling. :D

BabyG

Reaction score
My friend is selling a 27 here on long island with a diesel. Very nice boat gets 8gph at about 24 knots

rparkssos

Reaction score
BabyG said:
My friend is selling a 27 here on long island with a diesel. Very nice boat gets 8gph at about 24 knots

Does he have the boat listed somewhere? I'm curious about the Diesel model.