Looking for 265 Grady White Expeess

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
My name is Marty. I am looking for a 265 Grady White Express. I just had one in New Jersey surveyed that was on Boat Trader and it was wetter than the water it sat in. The transom and port rear side was very bad. Checking out the one in Washington but it’s over 3000 miles away. I live in Rhode Island and want to know if anyone is selling or would be interested in selling one as long as it pass’s a survey. Want 4 stroke engines on it naturally with as low hours as I can find. This is one of the only boats my wife likes. I go off shore a lot tuna and cod fishing and everything I’ve read on here about them says for it’s class it’s the best boat to buy. My wife said if I can quite smoking I can buy a boat and it’s been 3 months now and I just can’t find one of these Express’s and I am going crazy looking. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated [before I start smoking again]!!!!!!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My name is Marty. I am looking for a 265 Grady White Express. I just had one in New Jersey surveyed that was on Boat Trader and it was wetter than the water it sat in. The transom and port rear side was very bad. Checking out the one in Washington but it’s over 3000 miles away. I live in Rhode Island and want to know if anyone is selling or would be interested in selling one as long as it pass’s a survey. Want 4 stroke engines on it naturally with as low hours as I can find. This is one of the only boats my wife likes. I go off shore a lot tuna and cod fishing and everything I’ve read on here about them says for it’s class it’s the best boat to buy. My wife said if I can quite smoking I can buy a boat and it’s been 3 months now and I just can’t find one of these Express’s and I am going crazy looking. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated [before I start smoking again]!!!!!!
Let's start off with the basics of what you're looking for. You want what, a 2000 and newer Grady White 265 Express with 4 stroke motors on it. I'm assuming you'll need a trailer? What's your budget or price range? I live near the one for sale here in Everett, WA and Boat Country is a fairly reputable company. That being said, you're going to spend probably double or more on a west coast boat as opposed to finding one out there on the east coast. I just went through the process of buying a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer out in Maryland and driving it back across the country to the Seattle area. The reason I did that was because of the price... the boat motor and trailer was $26.5k and the exact same year/make/model boat just sold out here on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago for $55k. That boat had brand new electronics and a kicker motor but yeah, that's why I buy on the east coast as I don't want to pay west coast pricing and get the same thing. I'd recommend using the two below websites for finding a surveyor for any boat you're looking at purchasing. Which it sounds like you might already know that already. Have you looked at the boat in Maryland? Even though it has 2 stroke motors on it, it's definitely a lot closer to you than Seattle. And if everything checks out, you could always run it as is for a couple of seasons and then trade/sell for something else? It looks like the boat in Seattle also has the Yamaha F225's on it, which as I'm sure you probably know can have the dry exhaust corrosion issue. Definitely have that looked into as well and also, the boat out here doesn't mention if there's a trailer included or not. Of which I'm assuming that probably means that it doesn't come with one and buying a brand new trailer for that size of boat, especially out here is going to be likely $10k, if not closer to $12k+. I'd be patient, take a few months and look at boats over the wintertime, especially those on the east coast as they're likely going to be a much better deal. It's a buyers market now imo anyway, and definitely not as much competition out there as there was over the summer. Good luck with the search!

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
Let's start off with the basics of what you're looking for. You want what, a 2000 and newer Grady White 265 Express with 4 stroke motors on it. I'm assuming you'll need a trailer? What's your budget or price range? I live near the one for sale here in Everett, WA and Boat Country is a fairly reputable company. That being said, you're going to spend probably double or more on a west coast boat as opposed to finding one out there on the east coast. I just went through the process of buying a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer out in Maryland and driving it back across the country to the Seattle area. The reason I did that was because of the price... the boat motor and trailer was $26.5k and the exact same year/make/model boat just sold out here on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago for $55k. That boat had brand new electronics and a kicker motor but yeah, that's why I buy on the east coast as I don't want to pay west coast pricing and get the same thing. I'd recommend using the two below websites for finding a surveyor for any boat you're looking at purchasing. Which it sounds like you might already know that already. Have you looked at the boat in Maryland? Even though it has 2 stroke motors on it, it's definitely a lot closer to you than Seattle. And if everything checks out, you could always run it as is for a couple of seasons and then trade/sell for something else? It looks like the boat in Seattle also has the Yamaha F225's on it, which as I'm sure you probably know can have the dry exhaust corrosion issue. Definitely have that looked into as well and also, the boat out here doesn't mention if there's a trailer included or not. Of which I'm assuming that probably means that it doesn't come with one and buying a brand new trailer for that size of boat, especially out here is going to be likely $10k, if not closer to $12k+. I'd be patient, take a few months and look at boats over the wintertime, especially those on the east coast as they're likely going to be a much better deal. It's a buyers market now imo anyway, and definitely not as much competition out there as there was over the summer. Good luck with the search!

I have checked out the one in Maryland and not interested in the mothers on the boat. Told them I could do mid twenties for the boat seeing I want to re power. They won’t budge. Event went up to $32,000. They still wouldn’t budge. Anything more than that doesn’t make sense. Got a quotes between $4,000 and $7,500 to have it shipped here. One engine has been done with the exhaust but not the other one so that’s another $4,500 I’d have to spend on that engine. Also, it doesn’t come with a trailer and that’s another $8,000 here in RI if I can get one. I put all that into my offer and haven’t heard back yet. Put an offer In for $50,000 and will see what happens. The One in Washington says it’s been kept inside heated dry storage since 2011 so I’m hopping it will come up dry with a survey if they accept my offer. The one in New Jersey came up wetter that the water it sat in. Grasping at straws here in Rhode Island. If you hear of anything please reach out and let me know. Thanks again for answering, great to hear any fead back I can get.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have checked out the one in Maryland and not interested in the mothers on the boat. Told them I could do mid twenties for the boat seeing I want to re power. They won’t budge. Event went up to $32,000. They still wouldn’t budge. Anything more than that doesn’t make sense. Got a quotes between $4,000 and $7,500 to have it shipped here. One engine has been done with the exhaust but not the other one so that’s another $4,500 I’d have to spend on that engine. Also, it doesn’t come with a trailer and that’s another $8,000 here in RI if I can get one. I put all that into my offer and haven’t heard back yet. Put an offer In for $50,000 and will see what happens. The One in Washington says it’s been kept inside heated dry storage since 2011 so I’m hopping it will come up dry with a survey if they accept my offer. The one in New Jersey came up wetter that the water it sat in. Grasping at straws here in Rhode Island. If you hear of anything please reach out and let me know. Thanks again for answering, great to hear any fead back I can get.
Are you only looking at the 265 Express or open to other models as well? I think that the biggest reason for the availability issue is that they stopped making them after the 2005 season. Have you looked into other models like the 248 Voyager, 258 Journey or 270 Islander? Those seem to be a bit more readily available from what I've seen as it looks like the 265 Express was only made from 2000-2005. Of which the 258 Voyager/Journey came out in 2003 and went until just within the last couple of years. Might be something to think about, even though it's a smaller boat. Good luck with your search!

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
Are you only looking at the 265 Express or open to other models as well? I think that the biggest reason for the availability issue is that they stopped making them after the 2005 season. Have you looked into other models like the 248 Voyager, 258 Journey or 270 Islander? Those seem to be a bit more readily available from what I've seen as it looks like the 265 Express was only made from 2000-2005. Of which the 258 Voyager/Journey came out in 2003 and went until just within the last couple of years. Might be something to think about, even though it's a smaller boat. Good luck with your search!
I have looked at some different models. Alsmost got a 28 sailfish 2002. The people that looked at it 10 minutes before me and bought it right away. Only had 290 hours on engines. Exhaust wasn’t done though and it’s $4,500 each engine. I need the with of the Sail fish or express. Also, the bigger you go the more fuel you burn. Could actually get a 26 Islander for $12,000 with trailer that’s in good shape and re power but it doesn’t have the width that I want. Plus the wife wants a stand up head. Before that I was actually looking at the 23 gulf stream and we had a 23 Stripper before but she insists on her stand up ahead. Here in Rhode Island I want to be able to do a canyon run for tuna or 35 miles out to coxes ledge cod fishing. Also want to get my commercial license going before I retire so it can help pay for dockage and other incidentals. Not going to get rich but it all helps. Love the Express. My number is 401-255-5915 if you hear of anything feel free to pass it on.

HTHM

Reaction score
First of all, congrats on quitting smoking.
Secondly, if you are going to resurrect 2 and 5 year old threads, DO IT VIA PM TO THE OP please.
A lot of us here watch these daily and the amount of threads you have brought up take away from threads that are active right now. That is a dis-service to the sellers and the buyers on this forum.

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
First of all, congrats on quitting smoking.
Secondly, if you are going to resurrect 2 and 5 year old threads, DO IT VIA PM TO THE OP please.
A lot of us here watch these daily and the amount of threads you have brought up take away from threads that are active right now. That is a dis-service to the sellers and the buyers on this forum.
First off I am new to the site and didn’t realize I was messing up old threads. Secondly seeing I am new maybe you shouldn’t use abbreviations like the PM and the OP seeing I don’t know what your talking about . Just tell me what you mean and I will respect it. Again, I am sorry and will try and respect this sight but try and explain what you mean instead of abbreviating so I can understand.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
Yah you know me!

Good luck Martin, they're a diamond in the rough. Me, found one in rough shape out in FL and shipping it back to CA, then the hard work started. Yes it was wet, it was a 15 year old boat that sat in the water, all boats will have some type of moisture level, all depends on what your comfortable with.

Went to JWU for school and spent 7 years in Rhode Island. Right when Buddy was sent to jail. Miss that place, great food, culture and surely loved being 18 and sitting drinking at a bar. I started smoking when I lived in RI and quite about 10 years ago...I can't tell you how many times I hit 3 months and something ticked me off and I jumped back on the horse, keep it up man and stay strong! Best decision I ever made.

Good luck 265 shopping, sorry mines not for sale, yet!

Reactions: nuclear

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
Yah you know me!

Good luck Martin, they're a diamond in the rough. Me, found one in rough shape out in FL and shipping it back to CA, then the hard work started. Yes it was wet, it was a 15 year old boat that sat in the water, all boats will have some type of moisture level, all depends on what your comfortable with.

Went to JWU for school and spent 7 years in Rhode Island. Right when Buddy was sent to jail. Miss that place, great food, culture and surely loved being 18 and sitting drinking at a bar. I started smoking when I lived in RI and quite about 10 years ago...I can't tell you how many times I hit 3 months and something ticked me off and I jumped back on the horse, keep it up man and stay strong! Best decision I ever made.

Good luck 265 shopping, sorry mines not for sale, yet!
After you hit yours and worked on it how do you like it? I want to be able to go off shore at least 80 miles out. Does it handle the rough water line they say it does? Hoping I’ll hear back from the one in Washington soon. It’s about $7,000 to get it shipped back here and only one engine has the exhaust done plus I need a trailer for it. He wants $69,000 for it and it has 900 hours on it already. I just offered him $55 but don’t think he’ll take it. Between the shipping, the exhaust, having it surveyed and a trailer I would need to buy anything more isnt feasible. I can only hope.

Martin O’Rourke

Reaction score
After you hit yours and worked on it how do you like it? I want to be able to go off shore at least 80 miles out. Does it handle the rough water line they say it does? Hoping I’ll hear back from the one in Washington soon. It’s about $7,000 to get it shipped back here and only one engine has the exhaust done plus I need a trailer for it. He wants $69,000 for it and it has 900 hours on it already. I just offered him $55 but don’t think he’ll take it. Between the shipping, the exhaust, having it surveyed and a trailer I would need to buy anything more isnt feasible. I can only hope.
Also, how much did it cost for you to have it shipped? Sounds like it would be about the same mileage. This would be 3038 miles.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
The boat feels much larger then 26ft and you will have zero issues running offshore 80 miles, just check the weather. Rough water, the boat actually likes to run a littler faster but can only go so fast in the slop.

$69k is expensive for a boat in that shape, without a trailer. You'll spend another $5k on a trailer and $1k on the exhaust service.

I paid $5,500 to get the 265 shipped out from FL 6 years ago. $7k seems high, but most likely he will be deadheaded back to where he came from (unloaded) meaning your also paying for his trip back. If you can wait for him to find something to ship back the price should be lower. Lastly, good luck with shipping...went through 3 shippers before I found one that would take it. Give Mark Harrison a call...he's out of FL. 954-297-1880.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
15 to 20 year old boats are wet ...unless they sat on a trailer ... under a roof.

The age and condition of the motors is more concern than the hours. Price the motors, price the boat, price the electronics.
900 hrs is nothing for a boat that old, even if it was used lightly. I put 360 hrs on new motors in 2 seasons of mid-range & canyon fishing. Thats what you want to do right?

The 265 is a capable canyon machine in perfect weather. It is capable of running 30 mph in a snotty quartering 3 to 5 but it is not pleasant for 3 hours.
its not a 33 footer. not even close.

250 gallons and new 4 strokes give it a fantastic range.The old fashioned bracket-less transom with the tailgate makes it possible to walk a big tuna around and is great inshore bottom fishing.

IMO (In My Opinion) its not a machine for the ladies. There is no seating/table below and almost no room to stand. The bunk is good for one guy to crash on a canyon overnight (if you push all your gear and extra rods to the side.
I removed my microwave and refridgerator for more fishing tackle storage.
IMO, there are better models for family weekend "camping" or floating "beach house". On a rare occasion my wife takes a 3 hour tour with me...with a stop at a waterside restaurant.

IMO, the 265 Express is not really a trailerable boat. its too wide and heavy. I'll get some pushback here I'm sure...but I'm right....;)
I can't even imagine towing, launching, boating/fishing, recovering, towing home, cleaning...in the same day? no friggin' way. There are better models for that.
You are certainly not going to the canyons that way.

Good luck with your search but keep in mind that this model is old and was marketed to hardcore fishermen as a canyon capable "pocket express".
Thats why it holds 250 gallons and has a giant fishbox and doesn't have a bunk below the helm. Most of these boats were in water all season and fished hard. they are not sandbar queens.
I absolutely love mine. Its a fishing boat.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Trailering a 265 is a chore. Really need a 3/4 ton. She’s a plus sized model for sure. Just dragging mine around town for service, gas, etc is a challenge, but doable. Love mine.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
$69k is expensive for a boat in that shape, without a trailer. You'll spend another $5k on a trailer and $1k on the exhaust service.

I paid $5,500 to get the 265 shipped out from FL 6 years ago. $7k seems high, but most likely he will be deadheaded back to where he came from (unloaded) meaning your also paying for his trip back. If you can wait for him to find something to ship back the price should be lower. Lastly, good luck with shipping...went through 3 shippers before I found one that would take it. Give Mark Harrison a call...he's out of FL. 954-297-1880.

I agree... most of the time you're not going to get any great deals out here on the west coast for boats. That's why with the last three boats that I've purchased, I go out to the east coast, buy them and then drive them back to Seattle as they've been roughly a half to even a third of the price of what they sell for out here. Buying a trailer out here for that boat is going to be even more ridiculous... I was looking at another 228 Seafarer, I think it was down in Florida, and inquired locally about a trailer for it and they where anywhere from $7k-10k or more depending on what brand and style of trailer you bought. The same trailers on the east coast or southeastern part of the country were selling for $4k-5k or so. Then you'll pay for shipping, if you don't do it yourself, as well as sales tax, which it's now 10.4% out here in Seattle... ugh no thanks. Be patient, look for a boat over the wintertime that's closer to you, cheaper and don't jump the gun and just throw money at something because you want it now. I'd be patient and look for the boat you actually want for the price you want to pay and one that you'll be happy with. It sucks to have to wait, I looked for my boat for over a year and thought about cutting corners multiple times and buying a subpar boat because I wanted the "instant gratification" but looking back, I'm so glad that I waited for the right one.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
@ Martin O’Rourke have you seen this 265 Express that was just listed a couple of days ago on Pop Yachts? I'd be calling on that bad boy first since it's way closer to you, has a trailer, radar and so on as opposed to the one out here in Seattle.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would call Cataumet Boats in Bourne. I am in the market for a Marlin and when in there buying some service/parts I asked if anything was coming in on consignment or trade. Although no Marlins at the time they had a customer who was going to have a 265 up for sale with twin HPDI's, one with a new powerhead. I have not seen it on their website but it might be worth a call. Their service department has always been very friendly in my experience.