Looking for a Good Cheap Bottom Paint

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
There are a lot of bottom paints out there. I've been using almost a gallon of Interlux's Micron Extra which is a little more than one coat every year. My boat is in salt water for more than 6 months and for the most part I run it on an average of once a week. Every year I have some barnacles on the hull in different places but for the most part my hull is pretty clean. I did go one year with just touching up the bottom and there were a lot of barnacles when I pulled the boat that year. That's why I repaint the whole bottom every year now.

My question is: 1st - Am I doing this right? 2nd - Am I waisting money on the Interlux paint or should I use another brand?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You used 'good' and 'cheap' in the same line to describe bottom paint.

While that may be possible, why mess with what works for you now. You could save $50 on the paint and easily burn that up with a 5% reduction in fuel efficiency due to "minor fouling" with a cheap paint.

BTW, we use the same Micron, and paint every other year. Boat is in the water all year. Sometimes need to scrub the bottom once or twice in the second season.

Brian

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I am in the same area as you and have had very good success with Petit Hydrocoat water based ablative bottom paint. I 2 coat my bottom and get 3 seasons out of it before the under coat color starts to show through. I have had no issues with grass or barnacles. When I have the boat pulled in the late fall I do not, repeat do not have the bottom power washed until the end of the 3rd season as the power washing removes the bottom paint for next year. My boat yard goes along with my requirements after I explained my reasoning. The water clean up ease, the ease of application, the lack of solvent smell, and the low cost (about $120.00 per gallon) make this paint a winner to me.

Grady 228

Reaction score
I was very impressed with the Petit Hydrocoat last year. It was my first time using it and very little banacle growth. With what little I had... I think it was my fault on properly mixing because it was only in two spots that I touched up after I took it off the stands.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Always used Micron Extra but getting pricey.

Read over at THT good things about paint at Boatzincs.com. I think it's called Bluewater, more copper than the Micron. Way less pricey.
We will see how it compares.
I also hear good things about the West Marine label paints frpom a buddy who used it.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I heard from some other boaters that use Pettit, they had similar good results. Saving $100 on a gallon of paint may not seem much for some but I just don't feel like I'm getting my monies worth with the Interlux. If I were to switch, would there be a problem using Pettit's Ablative Antifouling paint over Interlux's?

Bill_N

Reaction score
I'll 3rd the Petit Hydrocoat. Been using it since 2009. Boat had Micron on it and I powerwashed it, scubbed it with a brush and applied the Hydrocoat. No problems, same amount of growth as CSC. Cleans up with water

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I was told by the manager of my local West Marine store that their paint is made for them by Petit, and that it is the same formulation just in the WM can. According to the sales rep for Petit the WM paints are a separate different formulation but made by Petit. I don't know which to believe.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have been using Petit ablative bottom paint for probably 20 years now, and I have never had a barnacle yet. The boat goes in early/mid-May, and stays at my dock behind the house, until after Thanksgiving. (no, it's not on a lift.. my sig pic is not at my place) :?

My paint of choice was Petit ACP-50, which was renamed a few years ago, to Horizons (same formula, Petit tells me). It's so good, I have no reason to change.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
I don't see much support for Interlux Micron Plus, that doesn't mean that is doesn't work well. For the extra money saved I think I will try Pettit this year.

If I do choose Pettit, which formula should I go with?