Looking for a Marlin and could use some advice

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking for a Marlin, and am trying no narrow my search a bit. I am looing in the 2001 - 2006 range. I am thinking of a price range between 60K and 100K.

I can get a good value on older boats with Yamaha 2 stroke motors but like the idea of having 4 strokes. What is conventionally considered to be the life expectance in hours on these motors?

I have heard concerns about the model years 2002-2003 that are powered with the 225hp. Is this enough power for this boat, and should I be concened with the weight of the early adaptions of the 4 strokes?

I would like to have the flexibility of a genset, how difficult would this be to add to a boat that did not come from the factory with this option?

Assuming proper maintenace, what is the expected life in hrs for the 4 strokes?

Many of the boats are equipt with bowstrusters. I am concered amount handling this boat in and out of the slip either with limited or no assistance. How concerned should I be with this need?

Thanks in advace for the help, looking forward to being a grady owner.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Mike,

The Marlin is a GREAT boat.
Congrats on your selection and good luck on your search.

1. 4 stroke life span for properly maintained motors is measured in the thousands of hours. You should have no trouble finding a Marlin with the power you want with only a few hundred hours. Try to get service records and print outs off the engines and if all looks good after a survey you should be fine.

2. Twin 225's is PLENTY of power for that boat unless you are looking for a rocket. Don't listen to all the hype about being underpowered. I had a 330 with twin 225's and it has plenty of power for ALL conditions. FYI - It cruised at the SAME SPEED as a 33- with the 250's. The Marlin will run just fine with 225's.

3. Adding a genset is possible - But unless you are truly skilled it is best left to the pro's. The guy that bought my old Marlin (2000) put a genset in it and was very happy with the results.

4. If you are adept at handling a boat or you are a quick learner you don't NEED the thruster. Neither my Marlin nor my 330 had a thruster and I had no problems. Having said that, my 360 has a thruster and it is a very nice addition in tight quarters with a strong wind/tide. You can add one for about 6K. However, if you learn without one you won't really miss it. I rarely use it on the 360.

Best of luck...Now is a great time to buy and there are lots of choices out there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good questions.

I can tell whatever you end up will be the right choice.

I never read one stickin thread in all of hyper boat ever luving space of a complaint about the Marlin.

And she's one classy looking gal to boot , if you don't mind me saying so.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Marlin

I have a 1997 Marlin with 2002 Yamaha 4 strokes. No power issues, shes not a speed demon but does exactly what I want and does it everytime without question. Most economical cruise is at 23 knots, 15 gal/ hr at 4K RPM. Most guys run them harder, more like 4,500 rpms and get 28+ knots.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:
Good questions.

I can tell whatever you end up will be the right choice.

I never read one stickin thread in all of hyper boat ever luving space of a complaint about the Marlin.

And she's one classy looking gal to boot , if you don't mind me saying so.

It costs too much.
Happy now? :D :lol:

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Mike.

There are many happy 300 owners here myself included. I like mine so much I will likely keep her at least 10 years which is well longer then my 2 previous GWs.

o Check with GW for adding 4S to older models. At a minimum I would think you would need the hull which extends the length of the integrated bracket (97 and after IIRC)

o F225s are plenty of power although the F250s are standard these days if you repower. I run 28-29 kts at 4700 with around 1.4 MPG in good conditions.

o The 2004 redesign moved the engines from 26 to 34 inch centers. While that does not sound like much I can tell you that my 300 is a cinch to dock. A brisk crosswind takes some practice but the extra engine spacing makes spinning MUCH easier. I have often stated that the 300 is well easier to maneuver then my 272.

Bama96

Reaction score
Mike no problem with F225s on the 02' and 03' Marlins. Mine cruises around 4300 to 4500 at 25-28MPH. Plenty fast and tops out just north of 40MPH at 5600. Great solid boat that is built like a tank. I am absolutely in love with mine. Plenty of room and a joy to fish out of. 8)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Mike.
Like everyone said, really no difference F225 to F250 for most folks. I had the F225s on a 28 Sailfish and they were great.

The 4 strokes are quiet, reliable and you should get a couple thousand hours out of them. As indicated the extra spacing between the motors on the more recent models makes docking pretty easy. I have the thruster, don't really need it, but if you are alone it gives you added confidence.
The generator is a tight fit. It would be tough to install post build, but I think it could be done by the right guy. I'd go with the diesel Fischer Panda model that GW now installs. It is a self contained unit that would be fairly easy to set in place - not so sure how it would be to plumb and wire though.

I'm out of GHM in Marshfield, the boat is great for the waters in that area from the bank to off ptown or just off shore. As folks have indicated, it is a balanced boat that you can fish and have family fun in. A much heavier and solid ride that the 28 that I had before. Good luck with your search.

Gary M

Reaction score
We've moved from a 208 to a 1994 25-27 Sailfish and now have a 2001 Marlin that we bought 3 1/2 years ago. We LOVE the boat, but in retrospect I wish that I had held out for a 2002 which would have had 4-strokes, but this boat was a super-clean boat with just 188 hours on it. It has 250 EFIs on it and we cruise at about 25 knots and get about 1.0-1.2 nmpg.

However, it was a cocktail cruiser only so I had to buy/install outriggers, modify the aft Bimini to retract and finally replace the anemic old Raymarine radar with a NavNet. So, we've put quite a few bucks into it.

Shop carefully, don't let your emotions come in to play and don't hesitate to look and look and look....... You'll love the boat!

Abaco2007031.jpg

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry for my delayed responce. I appreciate the comments and the advice!

I have been looking at several boats and am now one step closer to owning one.

I have an accepted offer on an 03 with the 225's pending survey.

I am sure I will have many questions to come as I get it set up over the off season.

Fishtales are you on pier 3? If so, I was studying your boat a couple of weeks back. I was on Pier 4 for several years and recently moved over to Taylor.

Thanks again

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
Yes, I am on pier 3. Good luck with the survey and boat.

tx

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mike -
Good luck with the boat - I am sure you will love it
I am also in Taylor - Which dock are you on - I am on the front row with a Sailfish -

Hooksetter

Reaction score
Marlin w/ 225's

Mike,
No problem w/ the Marlin and the dual Yammy 225's. Many will say that only because the 250's are out. she'll do perfect. I've got one with only 460 or so hours on the 225s for sale and its a shame, folks don't think it has the gumption. I can tell you she dose VERY well. good luck, and enjoy.