Looking for a young 228

282 Sailfish

Reaction score
I am ready to trade up from a 2016 209 to a 2016 or newer
228....anyone know of young 228 please?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
turns out the 228 is sought after. I hope you find one. I am not interested in selling mine ,but as an example my dinosaur 228 from 2008 was repowered in 2017 with a 4.2 liter Yamaha. I replaced all the lighting with latest LED stuff from the cockpit to running lights. two years ago I bought new curtains made by the company who equips factory Gradys with strato glass . my cushions are new to 2 years old, my seastar helm is new. my GPS is new, my fuel hoses new, scupper deck drains and hoses replaced. I put new shock struts in the fish boxes too..

maybe your search should include older models that are well cares for and periodically updated. Now in 2026 the 228 is composite in the transom and stringers. 2000 to 2015 Grady used Greenwood XL with 50 year no rot warranty or something. So, I can appreciate wanting a composite Grady. However, keep an eye out on slightly older ones that were taken care of too.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Not many for sale. This one fit's the bill with a 300 Yammie low hours.

Good luck with your hunt!

Lee

wrxhoon

Reaction score
A bit pricey Lee, especially for a boat in the water all it's life and without trailer . I wouldn't touch that boat for that kind of money . For that money I would want one that includes a trailer and no bottom paint.
I just noticed fuel used and miles logged 581 G used in 733.9 miles, something wrong there I would think.
I'm with Smoky don't discount older boats that are well maintained, maybe kept in a shed, freshwater boats, new engine , etc... at the right price.
I bought a 12 YO Seafarer years ago ( not my current boat) because I wanted to try the brand. I bought her very cheap , she came from a lake in GA lift kept with a 250 OX 66. The boat was in very good condition besides the dull gelcoat and sunburned coaming pads at the very rear and no hard top.
I bought her with the intention of replacing the engine as soon as I got her home although the engine was in very good nick. I didn't want a thirsty and old 2 stroke because I go a long way offshore. That worked well for me , after 8 years of trouble free ownership I sold her and recouped all the $$$ I spent and even made some $$$ , the exchange rate ( $1.05 US to $1 AU) when I bought her helped . Unfortunately I can't say the same for my new boat ($0.70 to $1 AU).
Good luck in your search, keep looking I'm sure you will find the boat you are looking for but good 228's sell quickly.

Reactions: leeccoll

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yea my ‘97 ole girl still looks great ,and I always get 2or3 complaints each time out .its in da love for the boat.taking care of here and making sure she is right That’s makes a great boat, plenty newer not maintained boats out there , never maintained and just used. Good luck

Reactions: JJMag

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A bit pricey Lee, especially for a boat in the water all it's life and without trailer . I wouldn't touch that boat for that kind of money . For that money I would want one that includes a trailer and no bottom paint.
I just noticed fuel used and miles logged 581 G used in 733.9 miles, something wrong there I would think.
I'm with Smoky don't discount older boats that are well maintained, maybe kept in a shed, freshwater boats, new engine , etc... at the right price.
I bought a 12 YO Seafarer years ago ( not my current boat) because I wanted to try the brand. I bought her very cheap , she came from a lake in GA lift kept with a 250 OX 66. The boat was in very good condition besides the dull gelcoat and sunburned coaming pads at the very rear and no hard top.
I bought her with the intention of replacing the engine as soon as I got her home although the engine was in very good nick. I didn't want a thirsty and old 2 stroke because I go a long way offshore. That worked well for me , after 8 years of trouble free ownership I sold her and recouped all the $$$ I spent and even made some $$$ , the exchange rate ( $1.05 US to $1 AU) when I bought her helped . Unfortunately I can't say the same for my new boat ($0.70 to $1 AU).
Good luck in your search, keep looking I'm sure you will find the boat you are looking for but good 228's sell quickly.
Very pricey, and there is almost no inventory of newer 228 models for sale in the US. Covid has changed the marketplace, as many like me are doing almost nothing, so we get a dog, buy an RV, ATV, boat etc. You get my point.

I would personally wait a year or two till things cool off, or even better find a seller that needs a quick sale.

The OP asked for a '16 or newer, and this was all I could find. His or her money to spend as they wish. Hard to gauge a persons intentions with 22 words in the subject text. And like you wish them the best in their search.

PS- The ad is encouraging offers. I wouldn't be shy to name my buying price if I liked the boat. ;)

Last edited:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, that may be a clean boat but...just my opinion, the new owner is paying for “a 228” and the “late year model”, i.e. just as much and even more boat for a lot less if it was not a 228 and 2016. I think too high priced, and the only really “upgraded” aspect is the stereo. If that is all they can tout, I’d go in low but fair...

Depends how much they want a 228 heh. Crazy times though.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So I'm either Mr Idiot or Mr Crazy (or both) but I got burned on my first boat, sold it for $15K less than what I paid for it. I was so gun shy I went all in and bought a brand new 2020 228. All I can say is it was spendy but, to me, worth it. The more I run that boat, the more I like it.

It might be for sale in 20 years :)

I'll echo what someone else said, now is a horrible time to be looking for a 228. I don't know if this is true or not, my dealer claimed they sold more 228's than all other GW models put together. It's a popular boat, big enough, small enough, fast enough, etc.

All that said, if I was trying to save my $$, I would have shopped longer and waited for a decent used one. I have a limited window to fish in my lifetime so I spent the bucks, I was lucky enough to be in a position where I could do that. No regrets on my end, that boat is a fishing machine!
boat-228.jpg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Lucky ,
No you are not an idiot or crazy, You bought a new boat, you know what it is like and you can maintain her well so you can have her for 10-20 years or whatever, i'm sure you shopped around and got the best deal you could at the time. He wants to buy a used boat, if I was to pay $75 k for that boat I would much prefer to pay the extra $30-40 k and buy new. That boat has been living in the water for 4-5 years, that's similar to a 20 yo boat living on a trailer. If a boat is used 25 days per year that's 500 days in the water that boat has been in the water and sun for 1500 days! One of the reasons I have a small boat is the fact that I can have her on a trailer and not in the water .

Lee,
I know there aren't many late model clean 228's for sale at any time, I was looking for 2 years before I bought mine. Nothing wrong with my old one but I wanted a hardtop. I was seriously considering buying new, if I was to buy a new one from the dealer here so I can have the warranty I would have to order and wait 2-3 months for the boat to arrive from USA. I could have bought a one from USA myself and save $ 30k but having the risk of damage on the way ( insurance would cover but still...) and no warranty cover . The other problem dealers in USA are reluctant to sell a new boat to anyone in Australia because the dealer here wouldn't be happy but I could overcome that hurdle. I found the best time for Australians to buy a boat in USA was between 2009 and 2013. Cheap boats there and favorable exchange rate for us.
When I found my current boat, lift kept with hard cover over it and a hardly used trailer in November 2018, I made them an offer, unseen, they agreed and then I had a survey done. I couldn't fly over at the time because I was busy so I arranged everything from here. The boat was just over 5 years old and 220 hours at the time, price $62k.
Some one on this forum bought one not long ago similar age and similar price hence my comment "very pricey" on that boat. At the end of the day the correct price is what someone is prepared to pay for whatever that may be.
If he is not in a hurry to buy a boat he should be able to find a suitable boat at a reasonable price .

Reactions: leeccoll

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky ,
No you are not an idiot or crazy, You bought a new boat, you know what it is like and you can maintain her well so you can have her for 10-20 years or whatever, i'm sure you shopped around and got the best deal you could at the time. He wants to buy a used boat, if I was to pay $75 k for that boat I would much prefer to pay the extra $30-40 k and buy new. That boat has been living in the water for 4-5 years, that's similar to a 20 yo boat living on a trailer. If a boat is used 25 days per year that's 500 days in the water that boat has been in the water and sun for 1500 days! One of the reasons I have a small boat is the fact that I can have her on a trailer and not in the water .

Lee,
I know there aren't many late model clean 228's for sale at any time, I was looking for 2 years before I bought mine. Nothing wrong with my old one but I wanted a hardtop. I was seriously considering buying new, if I was to buy a new one from the dealer here so I can have the warranty I would have to order and wait 2-3 months for the boat to arrive from USA. I could have bought a one from USA myself and save $ 30k but having the risk of damage on the way ( insurance would cover but still...) and no warranty cover . The other problem dealers in USA are reluctant to sell a new boat to anyone in Australia because the dealer here wouldn't be happy but I could overcome that hurdle. I found the best time for Australians to buy a boat in USA was between 2009 and 2013. Cheap boats there and favorable exchange rate for us.
When I found my current boat, lift kept with hard cover over it and a hardly used trailer in November 2018, I made them an offer, unseen, they agreed and then I had a survey done. I couldn't fly over at the time because I was busy so I arranged everything from here. The boat was just over 5 years old and 220 hours at the time, price $62k.
Some one on this forum bought one not long ago similar age and similar price hence my comment "very pricey" on that boat. At the end of the day the correct price is what someone is prepared to pay for whatever that may be.
If he is not in a hurry to buy a boat he should be able to find a suitable boat at a reasonable price .

Hi,

So I call myself stupid or crazy to stave off the salty old dogs. I should not do that here, everyone here has been awesome. It's beat into me because if you show any sign of not being the end all to be all out on the water, the radio lights up with people saying you shouldn't be on a boat, you should go home, etc. I fight back by taking that away from them. It works. But there is no need for it here, sorry about that.

Just so people know, I paid $128K US dollars for my 228, that's boat, trailer, tax, license, registration, it was what I had to pay to drive it off the lot. California has around a 10% sales tax and registration is not cheap, I can post the details if people want. They are spendy. I had some circumstances where that made a ton of sense to me but I am fully aware that does not make sense on its face, that's too much, you can get pretty much as good a boat for a lot less. I was in a space where it made sense for me, to all you people going holy crap, really, yeah, it made sense to me. I multiple reasons, it worked for me, and I'm beyond happy with my decisions.

That said, what wrxhoon (do you have a WRX? Me too, love it) said is spot on. If I had time, I would have waited for the right deal to show up. I didn't because I have health issues and enough money that buying new made sense, it doesn't for most people. You can look and find a decent used boat. You just have to be really careful and you need to know what to look for, what issues this year had, and what issues this engine had, etc. If you have the time to educate yourself, I think you could get a $150K boat for less than 1/3rd that (my boat with electronics and rigging was around $150K. Don't be me, find the deal). I've got a progressive disease so my window is narrow, I'll be lucky if I'm fishing 5 years from now. So it made sense to spend the money and get out there, get some memories, get some pictures for when I can't.

I've come to learn that the best advice is to get a boat that works for you. Everyone is unique, everyone has their constraints and issues. We can't just say "you need XXX". What you need is for you to decide.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
That said, what wrxhoon (do you have a WRX? Me too, love it) said is spot on.

I've come to learn that the best advice is to get a boat that works for you. Everyone is unique, everyone has their constraints and issues. We can't just say "you need XXX". What you need is for you to decide.
Well said, what suits you or me doesn't necessary suit everyone else .
I use to race them in my younger days so I had several models from 1993 to 2003, all worked of course, loved them too, them and Nissan GTR's . Much older now and hopefully wiser.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Well said, what suits you or me doesn't necessary suit everyone else .
I use to race them in my younger days so I had several models from 1993 to 2003, all worked of course, loved them too, them and Nissan GTR's . Much older now and hopefully wiser.

I'm 58. A couple of years ago my son said "Dad, can you buy me that?" It was a BRZ. I had no idea that that car was a thing. I went and drove one and fell in love, I thought I was way too old to like a stick. Loved that car, it lead to the WRX (I took a crappy detour through a Porsche Caymen S, thought I would like it, I *hated* it, best day of my life was selling that crazy car. I live on the end of a crappy road that has not been screened, let alone repaved, in 50 years. Great track car, horrible daily driver. WRX is the shit).

Figure out your boat. I have become a huge fan of Grady White, it took me a while, I had some minor issues that pissed me off because I thought GW should be perfect, they are expensive enough, right? All boats have issues, Gradys have less. I love WRX and I love my 228.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Over the years I owned several boats ( actually lots) ranging from a 17' ski boat when I was a kid to a 36' flybridge . These days I only use it for fishing, I can't think of a boat that suits me better, If I thought another boat would suit better I would buy it. The only other boat I think would suit is an Aussie built boat 23', cheaper but not quite as well thought as the Grady Seafarer. I think you will not find better support than GW . When ever I wanted to know something I get a reply within 24 hours and I didn't even buy a new boat!
This boat suits me almost perfect, boats are always a compromise, she handles the Pacific very well and easy to tow up and down the coast with my Landcruiser , anything bigger and I need a truck. I only wish she had a 300 hp
BRZ/Toyota 86 is perfect for a young bloke , they handle very well and not too powerful to get into too much trouble. Mazda MX5 is another similar car. I hope it is a 6 speed manual ( stick shift to you) and not automatic as most cars are these days. They are fun around the track with a brake upgrade. Take it around the track and re-live your youth.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@luckydude - Same boat as you were in.. literally.. lol. I guess it was bound to happen. I have had .. i think 7 (?) other awesome boats. One was jacked right off the showroom floor but under warranty. Other than that.. had not one single problem til this one heh. It's the only thing that keeps me going. Debating selling it.. just flat out dumping it, but I would probably not be able to buy another boat and, like you, I would be too afraid to buy a boat. So, sticking it out. You just had a bad experience, now you have a great one and worth every penny, from the photo ;)

On manual transmissions.. can't own one.. and I hate it.. lol. Wife has one leg so cannot drive a stick and needs to be able to drive whatever we buy.. but I sure do love a stick.

R

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Over the years I owned several boats ( actually lots) ranging from a 17' ski boat when I was a kid to a 36' flybridge . These days I only use it for fishing, I can't think of a boat that suits me better, If I thought another boat would suit better I would buy it. The only other boat I think would suit is an Aussie built boat 23', cheaper but not quite as well thought as the Grady Seafarer. I think you will not find better support than GW . When ever I wanted to know something I get a reply within 24 hours and I didn't even buy a new boat!
This boat suits me almost perfect, boats are always a compromise, she handles the Pacific very well and easy to tow up and down the coast with my Landcruiser , anything bigger and I need a truck. I only wish she had a 300 hp
BRZ/Toyota 86 is perfect for a young bloke , they handle very well and not too powerful to get into too much trouble. Mazda MX5 is another similar car. I hope it is a 6 speed manual ( stick shift to you) and not automatic as most cars are these days. They are fun around the track with a brake upgrade. Take it around the track and re-live your youth.

The BRZ and the WRX (and the Porsche that is gone) were all manual. I thought I was done with manual until I drove the BRZ home. So much fun when you aren't in traffic.

I love my 228 as well. You really want the extra 50 ponies? I switched to a 4 blade prop and I'm fine with the 250, she pops.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky
What prop did you get and how do you like it? What are the noticeable changes ???

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky
What prop did you get and how do you like it? What are the noticeable changes ???

16 pitch Powrtech OFS4. From Ken at propgods.com. It is a little early to say I know how it is different. It seems to give me a better hole shot. I bought because people told me that it would keep the boat on plane at slower speeds, my 228 wants to be at ~22mph, sometimes 24, to stay on plane. There are times when I'd like to stay on plane at 18-20. The last two times I went out it was crazy calm, I came in at about 38mph. So I don't know yet if it keeps me on plane at slow speeds, haven't gone that slow :)

The other claim is that a 4 blade will lift the stern a little. I haven't been able to tell.

All I can say is it seems faster. Part of it may be I'm getting more comfortable in the boat, I used to hesitate to get on it, now, I'll jam the throttle all the way forward while I'm turning around. Literally hole shot in a turn, the 228 seems fine with it.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi,

So I call myself stupid or crazy to stave off the salty old dogs. I should not do that here, everyone here has been awesome. It's beat into me because if you show any sign of not being the end all to be all out on the water, the radio lights up with people saying you shouldn't be on a boat, you should go home, etc. I fight back by taking that away from them. It works. But there is no need for it here, sorry about that.

Just so people know, I paid $128K US dollars for my 228, that's boat, trailer, tax, license, registration, it was what I had to pay to drive it off the lot. California has around a 10% sales tax and registration is not cheap, I can post the details if people want. They are spendy. I had some circumstances where that made a ton of sense to me but I am fully aware that does not make sense on its face, that's too much, you can get pretty much as good a boat for a lot less. I was in a space where it made sense for me, to all you people going holy crap, really, yeah, it made sense to me. I multiple reasons, it worked for me, and I'm beyond happy with my decisions.

That said, what wrxhoon (do you have a WRX? Me too, love it) said is spot on. If I had time, I would have waited for the right deal to show up. I didn't because I have health issues and enough money that buying new made sense, it doesn't for most people. You can look and find a decent used boat. You just have to be really careful and you need to know what to look for, what issues this year had, and what issues this engine had, etc. If you have the time to educate yourself, I think you could get a $150K boat for less than 1/3rd that (my boat with electronics and rigging was around $150K. Don't be me, find the deal). I've got a progressive disease so my window is narrow, I'll be lucky if I'm fishing 5 years from now. So it made sense to spend the money and get out there, get some memories, get some pictures for when I can't.

Beautiful boat lucky. If you can afford new then do it. Nothing like new and warranty.

Reactions: luckydude