Looking for advice

GradyX

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just purchased my first Grady. My trailer has a hull pad/guide that needs replacement. My father-in-law suggested rollers, should I consider this?

Also I am looking for some Helm protection, eisenglass or Vynyl??

THanks,
Mark

02' GW 270 Islander Twin 200Yam HPDI

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It's a split camp between rollers and bunks. Both work well.

I think the decision-maker should be the type of ramps you use.
Ramps where the concrete ends early and you can't back in very far is a great situation for rollers.
Bunks have the edge(for me) where ramps are long and gradual. They are easier to drive the boat onto and winch the rest of the way when loading.

It's like Yamaha VS. Merc. Both are legitimate options. If you plan on trailering all over and you encounter all different ramps, rollers are probably the way to go.

I have eisenglass and like it fine.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Decision between rollers and bunks depends on the ramps you plan to launch at and if you plan to drive the boat on all the way or winch it up. Bunks are better for driving all the way on if you have access to good ramps with a steeper angle, rollers are better for winching a boat up half onto the trailer, both can be used to do the opposite task, but are not as well suited. to go from bunks to rollers will cost a good amount of money so unless it is beneficial enough for your trailering and launching needs, I would stick with the bunks and just replace the material on top to protect your hull properly.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Gradyfish and I said the same thing.

On another note, your Islander probably scales close to 9000-10,000 lbs. fully loaded with your trailer. If you haven't already, make sure the trailer is sprung heavy enough to handle your boat and assess the axle capacity.
My 232 Gulfstream weighs 10,100 lbs, and even though I preached and preached, my trailer was delivered to me undersized for the job. It took me a year or two to get it up-to-snuff.
It's been my experience that small boats don't put a big wear-and-tear demand on trailers, but you get to the size of your Islander and my Gulfstream the demand increases by several times.

In a word go overboard on your trailer needs. Your Grady is worth being protected.

seasick

Reaction score
GradyX said:
Hello all,
Just purchased my first Grady. My trailer has a hull pad/guide that needs replacement. My father-in-law suggested rollers, should I consider this?

Also I am looking for some Helm protection, eisenglass or Vynyl??

THanks,
Mark

02' GW 270 Islander Twin 200Yam HPDI
Issenglass and Strataglass are brand names of 'vinyl' material. Both are excellent materials. Thay come in different thickness and the cost is proportionate to that thickness. 30 mil is a good gauge to go with, cheaper jobs may use thinner 'glass'. 40 mil is another option but if you live in a place where it gets cold, 40 mil gets pretty stiff and can be difficult to attach or roll up as you would do with rear curtains.
So if you get curtains, go for a brand name of glass in 30 or 40 mil and make sure you know how to care for it. No RainX, no harsh soap, no windex...

GradyX

Reaction score
Excellent info, thanks. My trailer is a Loadmaster and I think it might be underrated for my boat. My boat dry weight is 4660 and the yams are around 1200 combined. (trailer is 1160)

As for the rusted "bunk", it is more like a forward resting pad that the hull sits on, this is the piece I was entertaining swapping out with rollers giving me a combo of bunks and rollers. I live in Port Saint Lucie Fl so the ramps here are gradual for the most part. I don’t see hauling the boat long distances other than to and from home/ramps.

This is my first fishing boat purchase. I am amazed at the ever growing "wish list" already materializing, how far away is Christmas?