Looking for Anchor Windlass suggestions

LewesFM180

Reaction score
I will be putting a windlass on my 208 Adventure when it comes in, been researching Lewmar and Maxwell and leaning towards Maxwell, would appreciate any feedback if you have used either. big thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Lewmar ProFish 750 Is having a hard time swallowing the rope to chain splice. Tried several types of splices. 1/4" chain and 1/2" 8-plait anchor rhode. Just a FYI.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My Lewmar Profish does fine. I also use the Lewmar manufactured 8 plait rope and chain sized for my windlass.

20201017_142816.jpg20201017_104123.jpg

Reactions: Toomac

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I had my Dealer install a Maxwell on my Gulfstream and so far it works great. Super customer / technical service because I spoke with the factory extensively before I made the purchase.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Either brand will be fine. Like most things when it comes to brands, it often comes down what someone is used to. I'm familiar with both brands and have not found one to have more or less issues than the other. The Good brand is step up in quality, if you wanted to look there. But nothing wrong with L or M.

8-plait is not really needed for either windlass if the rope is in good shape - I've used/seen/familiar with 3-strand being used much more often. The reason that 8-plait helps is that, quite frankly, Grady doesn't build the anchor locker deep enough. In this case, the 8-plait lays down better so it works in a shallower locker. Other boats, with deeper lockers, 3-strand is just fine.

Reactions: coldpizza

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hookup,,, here's what I have. I had marked the label out because I have the old rode and chain in it and thought it was sold and was using this box to ship. You can see the part number and description through the marker. Been working fine so far with my Profish 700 windlass.

20220312_105045.jpg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mine is probably not genuine Lewmar rode. I'm starting to shop for it now. Thanks for the reply.

seasick

Reaction score
In which direction does the gypsy has trouble with the splice, deploying or hauling?
There are a few things to watch out for; Not all 1/4 chain is G4 spec, although that usually results in the chain getting fouled up in the gypsy. More importantly, if the splice is not tapered, it can be too fat for the gypsy. 8 plait especially since there can be 8 lumps in a short section.
I would also check that the specific gypsy is matched to the chain and rode ( I mentioned that the chain should be G4 spec but that is determined by the gypsy and not always the windlass model

LewesFM180

Reaction score
Thank You everyone for the replies, as always from this forum, it's a big help

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any ball park price what the dealer charged for the installation?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do

How do you like the Mantus anchor? Hear really good things about them, have been thinking about getting one just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

It's been great. Heavy enough to self deploy and sets well every time. Never budged on tide change in the Keys at 7 Mile Bridge.

20210510_132233.jpg

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's been great. Heavy enough to self deploy and sets well every time. Never budged on tide change in the Keys at 7 Mile Bridge.

View attachment 25002
Hi Ky - I too recently installed a Lewmar 700 Pro Fish on my 1991 Seafarer with pulpit, but my danforth anchor does not selfdeploy. What weight and model number is your Mantus anchor?

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Ky - I too recently installed a Lewmar 700 Pro Fish on my 1991 Seafarer with pulpit, but my danforth anchor does not selfdeploy. What weight and model number is your Mantus anchor?
I went with the 17# M1 anchor. If it has been stowed for awhile, it still needs encouragement to deploy, but after the first one, it's good to go. I will be installing the wireless controller before my trip to the Keys next summer. Helps with retrieval and stowage if the anchor spins over with the swivel while bringing in.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm using a 5 Ocean's anchor roller. Self deploy. Works great.

I'm continuing to have problems with my Lewmar ProFish 700 not wanting to swallow the rope/chain splice. I redid the splice a number of times and tried different styles of splices. Nothing works. This was a package ordered from Defender but they shipped their own brand of anchor rode.

I talked to Lewmar today. They are recommending that I use a Lewmar rode. Probably the right answer. Trying to contact Defender customer service to see if they will stand behind their recommendation. Stay tuned...

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm using a 5 Ocean's anchor roller. Self deploy. Works great.

I'm continuing to have problems with my Lewmar ProFish 700 not wanting to swallow the rope/chain splice. I redid the splice a number of times and tried different styles of splices. Nothing works. This was a package ordered from Defender but they shipped their own brand of anchor rode.

I talked to Lewmar today. They are recommending that I use a Lewmar rode. Probably the right answer. Trying to contact Defender customer service to see if they will stand behind their recommendation. Stay tuned...
Defender won't do anything. It's three years old. They gave me a $40 credit on the $100 rode. That's ok.

Today I tested my hybrid splice. Worked pretty good. A little trouble getting it to load but not bad. I'm going to keep testing over the next few weeks.

The splice is 8-plait. The individual double lines are split and one strand go up the chain and the other is spliced back down the rode. The splice is tapered starting with 4 strands, then 3, then two and then one. About 10" to the chain link. Hopefully this works - the Lewmar rode is 300' of 8-plait and 15' of 1/4" chain - $629.

This is an earlier version of the splice. I have since reversed the rode and re-tied the place. New version much cleaner.

IMG_2701.jpeg

Edit: Day two of testing. Loaded first try!

Edit: Day three, four and five - working fine. Occasionally kicks back but it grabs and goes! I consider it "fixed".

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Latest version of rope chain splice. Been working great for a few dozen drops reef fishing. Lewmar Profish 700 sucks it right up!

All strands are fed through the first link criss-crossed as with a normal rope/chain splice. From there the strands are separated. One strand from each of the four groups are spliced up and the others are spliced down tapering 4-3-2-1.

Most of the splices I have seen splice all 8 plaits back down. I saw one that spliced all 8 plaits up into the chain. I could not get either one to feed properly. This hybrid works great and should be strong enough for my needs.

Rope Chain Splice v2.jpeg

Last edited: