Looking for information on some trips...

townvet

Reaction score
So I have decided to keep my 360 Express, but I am planning on moving her down to Florida. I would love to hear from other Grady owners who have taken trips to the Florida Keys by boat or to the Bahamas by boat. We will have her in Naples or Marco Island so distance to the Keys is short. Any stories, tips pictures etc...

Thanks
Townvet
2011 Grady 360 Express

Blackbird

Reaction score
I routinely run my 283 from north of Clearwater to the Keys and go right past Naples/Marco Island. The run to the Vaca channel in Marathon is unobstructed on a 155 T heading. However, depending on the season, the Gulf can be peppered with lobster traps. If your destination is anywhere else in the Keys, there are shallow banks all over so it would be wise to look at your charts. Key West is no sweat because you can pick up the northern harbor approach easily. For the upper Keys or on to the Bahamas, you might consider cutting through Marathon and using Hawks Channel in the Atlantic. Assuming your clearance is more than 13 feet, you will need to go under the 7-Mile bridge instead of the Vaca bridge. Florida Bay can be a real challenge to navigate. Of course, weather is always the major variable. Happy to pass along any tips and tricks I can.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
X2 what Blackbird says...

I will add 2 things..

1. Don't skimp on clearing Cape Romano as you depart Marco/Naples. I run offshore approx 10 miles to the Cape Romano Shoal Lite and then set a course for Daymark Green#13 off Vaca at Marathon. That distance is approx 80 Statute Miles. Blackbird is correct when he says it's unobstructed with mangrove islands & shallow water. Be aware that the tide roars thru Vaca Cut if you attempt to get your 360 under the fixed bridge. I would head on to 7 Mile Bridge and cut thru there; it's not that much further West.
I would also be wary of running autopilot thru Fla. Bay with the aforementioned lobster pots, especially during the winter months.

2.) The prevailing winds,(except for the localized afternoon seabreeze which usually ends South of Marco) are E/SE/NE. Your 360 can take a lot, but if it's too lumpy during your passage, you can cut back in towards shore South of Cape Romano and come out near Indian Key Channel to Everglades City. Parallel the uninhabited coast all the way to Fla. Bay, staying a mile or so offshore in approx 10 ft of water and you'll have a smooth ride. When you clear Cape Sable, you'll be out of the lee of the mainland and have to cross the last 25-30 miles in open water. When I run close in, I set a course from NW Cape lite (near Cape Sable) to Green #13 at Vaca.

Okay, 3 things...

3.) Make sure you have the fuel range to go from Marco to Vaca at Marathon. There are only alligators, snakes & sawgrass between the 2 destinations.

townvet

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the great responses and tips. Can't wait to get the boat down there.

Anyone have a suggestion for an over land trucking company to get my boat down from NH to Florida. I have a few quotes thus far.

Range on our boat is min 300 miles max 360 miles so that should not be an issue.