Looking for input on transom cracks

Punch53

Reaction score
1998 Grady switched over to Greenwood XL treated plywood.

Patsandsox

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Agree with what others have posted - that cracking pattern is a tell tale sign of a wet transom and freeze/thaw. I had the same cracks appear on my 93 explorer a few years ago. See attached picture of the transom opened up. The entire transom is likely not wet, but there's enough to cause freeze/thaw cracking. Unless you get the moisture out it will continue. I don't have any experience with in-place treatments. I opted for replacement. I had mine done at Demelo's Fiberglass in Bristol, RI - Horacio does great work. He had 4 other 90's Grady's lined up for the same transom replacement. GW did a poor job with the 90's Grady's with the transom cutout and should have glassed and gelcoated the seam between the inner and outer hull. Through hull fittings are usually the other culprit. It doesn't necessarily mean the transom core is cracked as it's presenting on the gelcoat (that's the line of failure for the expansion cracking), but the transom is likely compromised and you may experience core failure at some point. It's common to replace them with coosa board now. I've seen prices in the $4k to $8k range. Wish the news was better.

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 61
  • transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 60

Punch53

Reaction score
Even the enclosed transoms and the euro transoms get wet. If you remove the deck drains from the transom you will see that all grady did was to drill 2 1/2" holes through the plywood and install the fittings. The worst offender is the transom drain plug. Again the hole saw through 2 1/2" of plywood and screw in a bronze fitting for the drain. That hole is constantly submerged in bilge water with the transom acting as a huge sponge. If you notice Parker and others don't put big holes into their plywood transoms-they have solid fiberglass where the penetrations are. Grady's were designed to rot from the factory. An extra 10 minutes an $5 worth of material at build would have eliminated all these problems.

Reactions: efx and jap201

rmf4grady

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Hi All,

Update on my transom.. I have decided to have the whole thing replaced. There was too much de-lamination for me to feel comfortable just patching it up.
Transom will be replaced along with hatch covers for about 6K. I cant recommend the shop yet because the work isnt finished but I will update the forum when its done...

Fishtales

Reaction score
You made the right move. I was a bit surprised that some said put some caulk on the cracks, toss some plates on it and call it a day. To each their own I guess.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Hi All,

Update on my transom.. I have decided to have the whole thing replaced. There was too much de-lamination for me to feel comfortable just patching it up.
Transom will be replaced along with hatch covers for about 6K. I cant recommend the shop yet because the work isnt finished but I will update the forum when its done...
That’s a really inexpensive price. Where are you getting it done? Does that include engine removal and reinstall?

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
That’s a really inexpensive price. Where are you getting it done? Toes that include engine removal and reinstall?
I thought that the price was kind of low.

rmf4grady

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That’s a really inexpensive price. Where are you getting it done? Does that include engine removal and reinstall?
No I removed the engine myself... Can't comment yet about the work since he hasn't finished. Will be done in about 2-3 wks and will update, with photos.

Reactions: efx and Ekea

steveditt

Reaction score
Mine should be finished this week exactly the same cracks when he cut the outer layer of gelcoat the whole entire rear came off in one piece completely delaminated , wood looked good wet in some areas but not that bad he left indoors a month letting it dry then retested drilled few holes completely shot . Been a long process i thought he said around $6 I think its going to be more . While its been indoors all winter i had them sand the bottom to the gelcoat ,epoxy ,barrier coat then bottom paint thats around $4.

steveditt

Reaction score
Mine should be finished this week exactly the same cracks when he cut the outer layer of gelcoat the whole entire rear came off in one piece completely delaminated , wood looked good wet in some areas but not that bad he left indoors a month letting it dry then retested drilled few holes completely shot . Been a long process i thought he said around $6 I think its going to be more . While its been indoors all winter i had them sand the bottom to the gelcoat ,epoxy ,barrier coat then bottom paint thats around $4.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

steveditt

Reaction score
$7300 for the transom , $ 4000 , sand to fiberglass 3 coats epoxy, barrier coat , two bottom paint