Looking for ready construction flybridge

Greecetechnical

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I'm looking for installing flybridge on grady white 330 express, for example something like this. Does anyone know if manufactured ready for this model in USA ? Ιf someone know something will appreciate particularly.
Best regards.
3710058_20110914105706_1_LARGE.jpg

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'd be interested, but haven't heard of any that do not require significant modification to the existing hard top. I seem to remember that WMW Marine of Winterville NC does the OEM structure, maybe they can advise of tower options. I'm happy with the existing aluminum quality, but a modest fly bridge would be a good addition.

Greecetechnical

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I will come in contact with WMW Marine to discuss the details of the flybridge. With a look on their website they show extremely professional in their constructions.

Again thank you so much for your time to answer me. It helped me a lot.

Best regards from Greece.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm also very interested in this!

I just bought a 2003 330 Express and I'm planning to move a very simple 1/2 tower (aka "belly band" or cobia tower) from my old boat (Boston Whaler 28 Conquest) to my 330. I'm more interested in being able to spot busting tuna from higher up than running the boat at speed from a flybridge. With an autopilot remote, I'm able to control the boat at trolling speed very comfortably from my hard top, but it also wouldn't be that hard to put a full helm control up there as well.

I had this custom fabricated for me at Nauset Marine in Orleans, and it's completely detachable.

I'm not 100% sure how well it will fit on the 330 -- we just got the boat into the marina and will be looking at that (along with a bunch of other stuff) over the next few weeks.

Joe

Attachments

• half-tower.JPG
    half-tower.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,630
  • half-tower2.JPG
    half-tower2.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,630

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Getting onto the hard top of the 330 is not easy. The foredeck area is very slippery and no good footholds exist, although it wouldn't be hard to retrofit something to the forward braces. GW also doesn't like any heavy things put on the hard top as it is only balsa cored, but seems pretty sturdy. I don't think the raised CG is an issue, but getting up there in a heavy sea would be tough without some sort of ladder. I get up there to clean and work on radar, antennas, spotlight, etc. and I do hear occasional creaking as I move around which means something is "working" in the structure. You definitely don't want leaks into the balsa core. Let us know how it works out.

Off the Hook

Reaction score
I have also been contemplating adding a tower to my 33 express. Looking for information about this. How did it change the boats performance? Does the boat roll more with the added weight up there? I would love to have the added visibility while on the troll, but do not want to sacrifice the ride or performance...

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Adding my 1/2 tower to my old boat didn't affect the roll or stability in any noticeable way. That was Boston Whaler 28 Conquest weighing about 10,000 lbs with a 10' 4" beam. The 330 express is heavier and wider so whatever effect of the extra weight will be less than on the Whaler. It turns out that stability and roll is affected more by hull shape than by center of gravity (though center of gravity is also important). Here's an interesting article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacentric_height

Joe