Looking for some info on an express 330

Billygee371

Reaction score
Hey all, My wife and I are looking at getting into the express style of boat. We’re coming from a 2016 sea hunt gamefish 25. I think we’re pretty set on the 330 express. Unfortunately it won’t be new or even close to new. We have been looking at a lot of 04-05 models. Is there anything I should be on the look out for in regards to hull integrity and moisture issues? I would guess that stress cracks would be normal for the age. Engine sizes? Can anyone give me some real world fuel burn numbers for 300s?
Thank you guys! Hope to become a part of the Grady family!

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
There is a lot of info here on all that - google " 330 express site:greatgrady.com " That will give you hours of reading.

TLDR

There can be water intrusion issues aft in the hull, generally no matter the power figure on 1.0 - 1.1 for economy. I have 225's on my 2003 and run at 4800 which is 22-23 knots. Boat is wonderful for everything I've done with it from offshore to weekend overnights.

There a quite a few owners of this model here.

As with any boat of the vintage you are looking at, be sure to get a survey done. If you are able to get a chance to give on a good once over in the water, try to run every accessory and pump you can, look at condition of the things on the boat that are not simple to clean, that will give an overall idea of how it has been cared for. If you end up with original engines either 225 or 250 Yami, be sure the exhaust repair has been done.

Reactions: PointedRose

ocdansar

Reaction score
I’ve spent 9 months redoing an 03 330 one owner kept under cover. Repowered with 300 Mercury’s. The boat runs amazing 30 mph cruise at 4000 rpm getting 1.3
I addressed the places water could get in with resin sealing the exposed core. We redid pretty much everything on the boat and are finally getting to enjoy it.
It’s a good choice good luck with your search.

Reactions: PointedRose

HMBJack

Reaction score
They are good boats but like any boat of that age, you need to really inspect them. The F300 wasn't even out when my boat was built (2006) so if you want the 300's, you'll be looking for one that was repowered.

We have had our 330 for 11 years. The twin F250's easily cruise the boat at 22-23 knots at 4,400 RPM's getting exactly .88 nMPG with my 4 blade props. So at 23 knots, I'm consuming 26 GPH. I plan on getting the 300's but my F250's are doing great so far at 2,300 hours. I think in 2006, GW switched their 330's to the diesel generator. While not perfect, I'd rather have the diesel genset Vs. the gas one. I strongly suggest you find one with a Bow Thruster. The boat has alot of hull above the water and not so much below so the 330 will sail alot in any kind of cross wind. Overall, we are crazy happy with our 330 as are many many others on this site. Any question you have can certainly be answered here. Good luck!

Billygee371

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The particular boat I’m looking at definitely needs some work. But if it can be bought at the right price I think it will be worth it. Needs new power so I’m looking at Suzuki 300s being that I actually may be able to get them. I’m hesitant on the 330 only for the efficiency. My last boat was so good on gas it is honestly going to be hard to beat. I’m in Morehead city so the runs can be somewhat far. I did 170 miles last year and only burned 80 gallons. I’m torn on it honestly. I may end up just going to another center console.

Reactions: wspitler

battles2a5

Reaction score
Nothing more to add other than I came from a Sea Hunt Gamefish 25 as well. 330 is a game changer and the ability to add overnight and weekend trips lets us get way more use out of the boat. It's going to feel huge at first but you'll be docking it like your gamefish in no time. Enjoy it!

seasick

Reaction score
Compared to your previous boat, the 330 is a different beast. I feel that if fuel economy is the show stopper, you are not seeing the trees from the forest. For example, if you sailed 170 miles last year and will use the 330 about the same hours, even if your fuel efficiency is half of the 25 footer, fuel costs will be about 50% higher. That works out to about a $300 increase in fuel costs. Look at that in comparison to what you will spend in retrofitting the boat and repowering as 'one time' costs and the maintenance, depreciation of motors, insurance etc as recurring expenses and you will see that the fuel economy is one of the less important concerns.
I haven't addressed things like dockage if you need a slip, off season storage and prep. The 330 is basically non trailerable due to weight and beam. That may be an issue also.
I am not trying to dissuade you getting a 330 but rather asking if you understand what you will be getting into:)

There is a good thread on this board about costs of ownership.

Billygee371

Reaction score
Nothing more to add other than I came from a Sea Hunt Gamefish 25 as well. 330 is a game changer and the ability to add overnight and weekend trips lets us get way more use out of the boat. It's going to feel huge at first but you'll be docking it like your gamefish in no time. Enjoy it!
Awesome! Could you send me some info that you’ve encountered. I’d love to pick your brain a bit on it.

Billygee371

Reaction score
Compared to your previous boat, the 330 is a different beast. I feel that if fuel economy is the show stopper, you are not seeing the trees from the forest. For example, if you sailed 170 miles last year and will use the 330 about the same hours, even if your fuel efficiency is half of the 25 footer, fuel costs will be about 50% higher. That works out to about a $300 increase in fuel costs. Look at that in comparison to what you will spend in retrofitting the boat and repowering as 'one time' costs and the maintenance, depreciation of motors, insurance etc as recurring expenses and you will see that the fuel economy is one of the less important concerns.
I haven't addressed things like dockage if you need a slip, off season storage and prep. The 330 is basically non trailerable due to weight and beam. That may be an issue also.
I am not trying to dissuade you getting a 330 but rather asking if you understand what you will be getting into:)

There is a good thread on this board about costs of ownership.
So honestly the only difference for me will be fuel costs. I have a lift that is large enough to keep the 330 in. Don’t plan to trailer unless it’s just to my house which is 2 miles from my lift. As far as repower and other odds and ends it’s really not an issue for me as it will be a one time deal.
thank youfor the insight!

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
So honestly the only difference for me will be fuel costs. I have a lift that is large enough to keep the 330 in. Don’t plan to trailer unless it’s just to my house which is 2 miles from my lift. As far as repower and other odds and ends it’s really not an issue for me as it will be a one time deal.
thank youfor the insight!
You might contemplate selling the home to live on the new boat ;)

I’d suspect since 330s are a whole new class of boat, they’d be less impacted by the COVID boat boom seen in pricing on all the smaller boats.

Billygee371

Reaction score
You might contemplate selling the home to live on the new boat ;)

I’d suspect since 330s are a whole new class of boat, they’d be less impacted by the COVID boat boom seen in pricing on all the smaller boats.
Luckily I won’t have to sell the house. Hahah just trying to see if the express is worth it for us. It doesn’t seem like the prices have jumped too much on the expresses.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Luckily I won’t have to sell the house. Hahah just trying to see if the express is worth it for us. It doesn’t seem like the prices have jumped too much on the expresses.
I mean because you’ll always be on the boat anyways
Sorry wasn’t meaning to be cheeky about your finances which are none of my business
I can imagine you’ll love the bigger boat

Last edited:

Billygee371

Reaction score
I mean because you’ll always be on the boat anyways
Sorry wasn’t meaning to be cheeky about your finances which are none of my business
I can imagine you’ll love the bigger boat
No offense taken here! But you do have a good point about always being on the boat

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The 330 is an awesome boat. I had one - It was an 03 with twin 225’s and no thruster. You will hear all sorts of opinions here and elsewhere on what is needed to power the boat, options, etc. They are all valid and none are “Wrong”. However, it is all a matter of your needs/perspective and use of the boat. I had the 225’s and it was plenty of power. I went offshore all the time and cruised for over a week with no issues. I never felt I needed more power. I cruised at 4500 around 28-29 MPH. My buddy bought an 06 with the 250’s. IDENTICAL at cruising speed. Slightly faster to plane, higher top end by 5 MPH. It really depends on what YOU value most. Thruster is nice. On the 330 the engines are so far apart I could spin it easily without ever needing a thruster. However, I traded the 330 on a 360 and got the thruster with the 360. IT was a nice to have for sure. I wouldn’t let it be a deal breaker though. Genset - I had gas on the 330 and diesel on the 360. Stay away from the gas genset if you can. If you get a hull older than 04 make sure the structural strengthening in the bow was done. Factory or dealer should have done it.