Looking for some opinions on my electronics.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I posted this on another forum, and have got a lot of views, but not ever one reply. Probably should have come here first. So...
as many of you know, I recently sold my Grady282, and bought a Freedom 255. The Garmin 5212 that looks and works as it should. I replaced the GSD22 with a pre-owned GSD24. I also bought a new ($$$) G3 Vision chart chip. The 50/200, 600w Airmar thru-hull works as it should. I bought a second GSD24 and another 5212, that I came across, for backup, since the price was right. I've already spent more than I probably should have, on old technology equipment, but I can't change that.

My fishing is mostly bottom fishing, wreck and reef, in ~60' to 80' of water. I'd like to add chirp, but 5212 doesn't support it. I want radar for night navigation and fog. I don't need to see birds miles away, and I don't need the latest technology, just something that works.

Looking at options:
Keep the 5212, add Garmin GMR-18 Xhd radar for under $1350, and forget about the chirp. Is this older tech radar a solid choice?
Buy a Garmin 1242 xsv and a chirp transducer, plug my existing 50/200 600 watt Airmar in, and add the GMR-18 Xhd.
Buy a Simrad NSS Evo3, use a NIB Simrad 3in1 transducer that I have had sitting here doing nothing, (also a new Lowrance HDS-9 Carbon); buy a more expensive Simrad radar for the NSS12. Is the Simrad Halo20 even as good as the older Garmin GMS 18 Xhd?
As a side note, I was going to try to add the HDS-9 as a 2nd screen, but there's no practical place to do that on a small helm. Not sure what to do.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have two 5212s and an older Garmin radar. Both work just fine. I have the old GSD 22 black box. On my Scout I have the Garmin 94SV with side scan. Side scan and chirp are worth it For bottom fishing where I fish. I would opt for changing out one of the 5212s with a chirp capable machine and or side scan and get the cheaper radar through the Garmin net work in the 5212 will work fine. I don’t know if the old Garmin radar will work with newer models MFD. it all keeps getting better and better and relatively speaking cheaper. I went with a friend who had the 94 SV UHD and it was significantly better than my older one. For the smaller helm, the 94SV UHD is an excellent choice if you have a good place for the transducer.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I had an old garmin 4208 with a gsd22 and the Airmar B744 like yours. I had an Echo 94 with a transom mount CV51.I got rid of that. The transom mounted xducer was useless on plane.

I added a 1242xsv Plus Touch.(I was skeptical but TOUCH is GREAT! and a 12" screen is better than two 9" screens) I replaced the B744 thru hull that was on the centerline with a thru hull GT51m to fully utilize the Sidescan and chirp of the 1242. It is Awesome!
Your Airmar will not run the chirp and sidescan feature of the 1242.
The best choice is a GT51M-TH.

I replaced the gsd22 with a gsd24 connected to an R199 2kw in a tub. AWESOME! I was reading 2200ft in the middle of Hudson canyon recently. I can read squid and tilefish in 600ft.
Looking forward to some swordfishing.
Your gsd24 supports 1kw and 2kw non-chirp transducers

I use the 1242/GT51 as my go-to sonar. It reads at least 300ft on plane at 36mph. Sidescan for wreck fishing is a MUST HAVE.
I can run both sonars at once but I do get some interference streaks. I will now only use the gsd24/4208/R199 out in the canyons or as a backup.

I have new GMR24 Fantom radar connected to 1242. It will not run on the 4208. An XHD would have run on the 4208.

I stuck with Garmin because learning a new "language" is a real pain. Radars are not going to work across manufacturers.
Sonars are not going to share across manufacturers.

Last edited:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the reply, gents, this is the kind of intel I am looking for. WS, I don't have two 5212's installed on the boat... wish I had the room, but a 255 Freedom has a small helm. The 2nd 5212 and GSD24 are just spares, not installed.

SB, that GT51M-TH is a tall transducer. Are you concerned at all about something hitting it and shearing it off? There is a photo posted just recently on one of the forums, of that transducer with the bottom section gone, and the wires sheared off. He doesn't remember hitting anything, but the really isn't any other explanation.

I wonder how that compares to the Simrad 3-in-1 down, side and chirp transducer. I actually have one of those still in the box, along with that HDS-9 Carbon that I mentioned. I bought them new about a year ago, intending to replace the HDS-8 on my Grady 282, with the HDS-9, and keep the HDS-10. That didn't happen before I had someone asking if I'd sell the boat, which I did.

Since I've never had Garmin before and only have room for one 12" MFD, would you still recommend keeping or upgrading with Garmin, or would you consider Simrad?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You mount the GT51on the centerline without the fairing. Doesn't stick down any farther than the B744.
1631307917044.png

If you are not tied to Garmin you have choices. but the gsd24 is tied to garmin.

I would never go back to a 9" screen.

I stood in a big West Marine and played with everything (on multiple days) and firmly decided on the Garmin 12" touch screen.
Just my preference in look and menus. All brands are good. There IS a real difference between low/mid/high priced models. You get what you pay for.

Think hard because you are committing your boat to years of whatever you pick.

Also consider that newer(high end) touch mfds have less frame and you might have more room than before.

Do you have an overhead box/hardtop for a spare 5212

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
SB
I do have a hardtop, but seems like Grady got away from installing overhead boxes, at least on most of the Freedom models. I just took a couple photos I'll post; not sure if you'll be able to see that there isn't much room to hang an overhead MFD. I think it might be a head-banger, and possibly obstruct the view, as I stand more than sit while underway.

That was an excellent thought about visiting a large WM to fiddle with all the brands, and find out what feels right. There isn't much on display in the WM store here, but I'll check. Mostly what I'm going by is listening to folks such as you, who are happy with their decision, and say why. I appreciate your input here, and everyone else who will add their thoughts and suggestions.

HelmHardtop1.jpgFreedom255.jpg

SB, I forgot to comment that the pic you posted of the transducer is a lot smaller than the one I saw that was sheared off.. That looks like a nice clean install. So the GT51 can be mounted with out the large upper section? I thought that housed the sides-can transducers.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
SB, I forgot to comment that the pic you posted of the transducer is a lot smaller than the one I saw that was sheared off.. That looks like a nice clean install. So the GT51 can be mounted with out the large upper section? I thought that housed the sides-can transducers.
the fairing is for when mounting off the centerline. The fairing gets cut in half on the same angle as the hull. Half inside the hull/ half out to make it bolt parallel to the waterline. Side scan is problematic mounted that way because one side is blocked by the hull. You need two of them at $700 each. It works great on the centerline as pictured. The transom mount version works ok up to trolling speed

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a mix of old and new technology on my boat. The 4210 is my main unit used primarily for navigation. Also a GSD24 with a M260 transducer. Connected to a GMR18 radar.

Box above has a 943xsv with a GT51M-TH mounted same as SKUNKBOAT.

I went to the 943xsv to get the chirp, sideVu and clearVu sounder technology. The new unit can see the GSD24 and the radar. The old unit can't see the 943xsv sonar but can use the radar and GSD24.

There is nothing "wrong" with the equipment you have.

I see that you only have room for one display. If you want chirp sonar I would recommend upgrading the display to the 8612xsv and add a GT51M-TH transducer. Keep the GSD24 and transducer. Add whatever radar you want. The 8612XSV is $1,000 more than a 1243xsv but screen resolution is significantly higher. Not sure the 8616xsv would fit which is even more $$$ but same resolution. Since you only have one display you will be using more combo screens that you can zoom in - you want more resolution if it doesn't break the bank.

My overhead box is bolt on I assume from the factory. Maybe it was a factory option on your boat. Aluminum tube connects top to bottom for running wires. It is not a head banger and I'm 6'. The box isn't that tall so the best I can do is a 943xsv and a radio up top. I have always had multiple screens on my others boats and typically run my sounder up top. Not sure I would do this.

Based on your use case you really should be looking at the GT51M-TH transducer. For bottom fishing in the depths you are fishing its awesome. If its mounted without the fairing block on the centerline in the aft section it should be safe. Grind the hull down to create a flat, InterProtect and bottom paint. Sell off on eBay the 5212's and GSD24 if you don't need deep water sounder - $500+ each.

Good luck with your upgrade.

4210a.jpg Overhead bx.jpeg GT51M-TH.jpeg

Last edited: