looking to buy a 1988 sailfish,25 foot,twin 200 yamaha.

bayboy

Reaction score
original eguiptment motors,looks great,is there anything specific to be aware of,thanks.

SlimJim

Reaction score
yes, have the hull checked out, the transom of the boat for water, or wetness. I would get a survey done and check the compression on each engine.

richie rich

Reaction score
Transom, stringers, fuel tanks, all your fuel lines,.....if the bilge smells bad, has a lot of black slime on the tanks and fails the moisture meter test, you're in for some structural work...spongy deck is also a telltale sign of moisture.....pull a couple of screws from the transom like a trim tab screw and see if water comes out of it....they should all be resealed at this point anyway so I'd check it out if the seller allows it......... window seals, baitwell pump, electronics if they are original and go through the motors as with any boat....shift shafts are common rust out failure that will cost 750-1000 per engine....the boat is 20+ years....expect the unexpected unless someone already has done the repairs before you get it.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
That boat will be a big gas hog with those old outboards and burn about 25 gallons an hour. Thru hulls will need to be replaced and ask about the fuel tanks also. If you need to repower and are going to go new it will cost about 32 grand. I would think you will get that boat dirt cheap in this market with those motors but just be ready to do some work and if a motor goes open the wallet.